1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

They never would have thought?

Bango Skank Mar 3, 2015

1. Bango Skank

Bango Skank Level: True Devil

So one of the arguments is "the Framers never could have dreamed of the types of weaponry we have today thus the Constitution is out of touch with the reality of the current times.". This argument is almost undeserving of merit, but because it is used very often as a somehow logical and concrete standpoint I started looking to see if I could find any "great thinkers" from the 1700's that made predictions in terms of weapons technologies. The results of my very limited amount of internet research yielded some interesting quotes and information.

I thought the Jefferson quotes from his correspondence were pretty cool. I did not find any direct quotes or sources on weapons(which I am sure exists and most likely is a fair amount older)but it became apparent to me that to say these men couldn't envision a repeating fire arm, or a shoulder fired cannon is just stupid. Perhaps they were just less interested in that particular technical aspect because they were not intrinsically violent men? Maybe they were a bit too busy MAKING THE USA. Or it could be that they felt well enough armed to live free and thus had no reason to focus on gaining the edge, content with engraved, golden inlaid, twin, Turkish pistols. There was always the blade also.

In any case it would be an insult, and is, if you were to say "they couldn't have thought of it." to any of these tremendous figures in the history of our planet. And it is self centered to think that your society has somehow reached unimaginable levels.

Robert Boyle's prophetic 'wish list' -year 1660

''The Prolongation of Life'' - health improvements mean we are now living longer.

''The Recovery of Youth, or at least some of the Marks of it, as new Teeth, new Hair colour'd as in youth'' - Botox, plastic surgery, teeth-capping, hair dye, transplants.

''The Art of Flying'' - planes.

''The Art of Continuing long under water, and exercising functions freely'' - submarines and scuba gear.

''The Cure of Diseases at a distance or at least by Transplantation'' - transplants and keyhole surgery.

''The Emulating of Fish without Engines by Custome and Education'' - free diving.

''Strength and Agility … exemplify'd by that of Frantick Epileptick and Hystericall persons'' - steroids.

''The Acceleration of the Production of things out of Seed'' - GM crops.

''The making of Parabolicall and Hyperbolicall Glasses'' - spectacles and telescopes.

''Making Armor light and extremely hard'' - Kevlar.

''The practicable and certain way of finding Longitudes'' - satellite navigation.

''A ship to saile with All Winds'' - boats with engines.

''Perpetuall Light'' - bulbs.

''Varnishes perfumable by Rubbing'' - scratch-and-sniff.

''Transmutation of Species in Mineralls, Animals, and Vegetables'' - synthetic biology, genetic engineering.

1728-1799 Joseph Black - Scottish chemist; laid the foundations for thermodynamics; worked with gases and showed that a gas could combine with a solid; recognized the importance of accurate weighing in chemical research.

1819 November 28. (Eliza Trist to Nicholas Trist). "Mr. Jefferson I hear takes his daily rides and some one told me that they saw him in Milton with a Gun on his shoulder in pursuit of Partridges..."

1822 July 20. (Jefferson to Peter Minor) "...I ask the acceptance, by your son, of a keep-sake from me. It is an article of the tackle of a gun-man, offering the convenience of carrying the powder & shot together. I presume he is a gun-man, as I am sure he ought to be, and every American who wishes to protect his farm from the ravages of quadrupeds & his country from those of biped invaders."

2. Bango Skank

Bango Skank Level: True Devil

3. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I think a more logical interpretation would be that the framers obviously wanted "the common man" to be armed equal to the soldiers of the day....

4. mew

mew Average member

as if our piddly small arms would be in any way close to being on par with modern military armament, let alone
    all the other high tech toys they use ie NV, communications or any other means of defeating the "enemy"
    the truth is our gubment wants to disarm us no if's and's or but's...........

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  5. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

Liberal utopia is never having to defend yourself.

Conservative utopia is knowing you can defend yourself.

Half the population wants to be taken care of and expects the other half to want the same thing. Unfortunately somebody has to do the work.:devilroll:

6. HotrodKelley

HotrodKelley Brigade Member Brigade Member

Well said.

7. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

The first two parts of this post are fun.

The 3rd part is a sort of utopian vision as well. If only the extent of the 'fucked up part' was only those lazy folks!

Gov'ts take care of quite a few more folks than just the poor and lazy, and the poor and lazy actually don't cost that much. You are just brainwashed to think they do. The gov't takes care of corporations and banks, too. They are expensive dependents who don't pay much tax. Nevermind the Defense Department. They MUCH lose more money in fraud and unexplained losses every year than our gov't spends on the lazy, fat, and dumb masses. Much much more.

Conveniently, the so-called conservative and liberal masses are both all but ignorant to what the gov't actually does and what it spends the majority of its money doing.

Enjoy the matrix!

obi

8. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

Yes and no. The attached chart shows the federal corporate tax rate in the US is 40% of taxable income after adding in state and local taxes, compared to the EU average of 21%, 27% for Canada and 25% for the Netherlands.

http://www.kpmg.com/Global/en/servi...esources/Pages/corporate-tax-rates-table.aspx

Of course, in the US, the calculation of taxable income varies across industries because the government wants to promote growth in certain sectors of the economy and gives corporations within those industries favorable tax treatment with the goal of increasing investment, productivity, etc.

It comes down to this: Do we want to kill the cow for the beef or do we want to encourage long term growth so that same cow produces milk for years and years to come.

9. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

Yes. The idea advanced by the liberal elite, that the Framers, when drafting the 2nd A., intended the common man to be frozen in time and restricted to a flint lock while the organized armed forces move on to utilize the state of the art in technology, is absurd.