1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The tiniest scratch on an anodized aluminum handle: any way to fix it?

Blip Noir Oct 23, 2014

1. Blip Noir

Blip Noir JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I was tinkering around with my new ProTech Dark Angel and this happened. I opened it up to adjust the tension on the safety button (it wouldn't go in all the way to disable to firing button) and managed to put a tiny scratch in the handle with a 440c steel multitool.

[​IMG]

Is there any way to get rid of it? It doesn't appear to have scratched the aluminum itself, but maybe just the coating? The handle is anodized T6 aluminum alloy.

Also, no lectures on voiding my warranty, please and thank you. Sending it in to ProTech wasn't really an option for me. :ross:

2. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

Black sharpie.:unintroduced:

3. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

that sucks.
    carry it till it all polishes out?

4. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

There is a product that may work.

It's used on acrylics but just might do the trick.

I will hunt it down for you when at a PC I'm mobile atm.

It's a polish in nature but it's got the ability to re-float the surface areas into the marred

. It may be able to pick up some of the anno material at a molecular level.

It's was derived from the field of ophthalmology, to repair lenses .

You can try to search it out, till I can help find it .

5. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Don't make me cu..OW! Knife Maker or Craftsman

Welp, I guess now it's a user. :devilwag:

6. Blip Noir

Hmm, is it Birchwood Casey's by any chance? I was reading up on that and was curious if that would be a good option since my scratch is just cosmetic.

Thanks for the help though, Glenn!:thumbsup:

7. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'm interested in this as well.....as I've got a bunch of inconvenient scratches on a pair of Oakley digital progressive lenses....awaiting your info.

8. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

That scuff don't bother me. Send it over to me then it won't bother you :D

9. six

six straight up pimp

:bwah:

10. Glenn

Here is that plastic polish. It's actually marketed as a watch lens repair compound . :devilcorn:

It will re-float the surface materials into scratches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATCH-CRYST...688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48630fd2c0

[​IMG]

11. Blip Noir

Just ordered some. Thanks!

Do you have any before and after experience? Specifically, are there some materials that come out looking better than others?

12. Glenn

It works . :ross:

And only have tried it on plastics to this date.

Blip Noir likes this.
  13. Blip Noir

So I suppose I owe everyone an update.

No shocker here, but Glenn knows his shit. The PolyWatch polish took its sweet ass time shipping from Mesa, Arizona but I got it in the mail today and I'm impressed with the results. I'd say the scratch is about 80% gone, give or take, after 5 minutes of polishing and 2 dabs of the stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might give it one more go over the weekend, but it seems to do the trick. The scratch is really faint and can be seen only at certain angles in the light. Mission successful!

14. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Now maybe buy some decent (and correct) tools to use when you work on your knives...?

15. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

Turned out nice. I get those all the time. I call them "racing stripes".

sickboy

16. Blip Noir

What's wrong with using what you have? I needed something flat and small and the blade on my Gerber multi tool was the only thing that fit the bill in this case.

17. gzb

Well, nothing I guess...?

That is, if you don't mind scratching the shit out of your knives.

Have at it... :bwah:

18. Blip Noir

Wouldn't most tools scratch the handle of a knife if you slipped while working on it though...?

I'd just chalk this up to me being careless rather than anything else. Usually I'm careful when working on my knives.

19. gzb

Yeah, they would. If they did slip...

But quality tools are much better machined and hardened. The bits are much more precise and secure in fit, especially with fasteners such as Torx and Allen head.

So the chances of slipping are much more reduced. And the screw heads aren't boogered as fast when they endure regular *adjustments* like Bali knives and some others require.

Not talking Husky brand and that other Chinese shit. American or German made quality tools. Wiha, Excelite, etc.

Sure, they're a little expensive. But a helluva lot less than $200+ knives. And they last a lifetime, unlike the cheap shit...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  20. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

I forgot about this until last week. Just ordered the scratch stuff. Gonna try it on an older pair of specs first, but looking forward to this!