1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The steel thread

RJ Martin Feb 26, 2015

1. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

You are running into your tolerance limit everywhere in your shop. That's the sign of a real craftsman. Nothing is ever perfect enough.

obi

2. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Thank you, RJ.:thumbsup: That knife has been referred to as one 'Hunk of Steel', 'A Tank' and even a 'Steamroller'.:bwah: 13 1/2" of 3/16" thick steel, 2" wide. I figure if the blade gets dull, I could always use it as a club.:jdwink2:

3. blade viking

blade viking Huge member

Thanks for the answer RJ.

4. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Did we ever get RJ's answer??????:ropeman::devilcorn::ross:

5. RJ Martin

RJ Martin Tactical Knife Maker Knife Maker or Craftsman

??????????????????????????????

What is the question?

6. Mr.LaBella

Maybe I missed it, but I thought you were going to tell us about your special blend of SUPER STEEL :devilcorn::thumbsup::jdwink2::ropeman::manganr:

7. RJ Martin

Oh, THAT question

I will try to get that one answered. I've been busy making left handed knives..................:manganr:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  8. RJ Martin

How about this?

I propose a survey. I would like Mr. Labella to create a poll or survey to identify what is important to you guys in a knife.

It could go something like this:

Please rank the following on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being most important to you and 1 being least important:

edge holding
    ease of sharpening
    ability to pry/chop
    corrosion resistance
    high polish

DO NOT ANSWER YET!!!

instead, use this thread to suggest any categories you might want to add. I'll look at the answers and decide what categories to add.
    ultimately, your answers to these questions may help you decide on the steel or steels to consider for your ideal knife.

9. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Good idea, Mr. Martin! :thumbsup:

I'd like to add:

-shape of blade (clip point, drop point, tanto, etc.)
    -handle shape (finger grooves, swell, etc.)
    -handle material (organic or manmade material)

Scurvy likes this.
  10. Scurvy

Scurvy 2nd Knifiest Brigade Member

That might be for a different poll. I think RJ was suggesting a poll specifically to help point you in the direction of what your ideal steel is.

Clydetz likes this.
  11. Scurvy

:unintroduced::unintroduced:
    I could only imagine this being posted on other sites. You know there are plenty of people who think their $50 knife should hold an edge forever, never need to be resharpened, chop through cinder blocks, never rust even if you throw it in the ocean and take a true mirror polish that never gets marked.

12. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Brigade Member Brigade Member

I agree

Thank you RJ! I am watching for every post...it's nice to learn from a real pro.

13. Mr.LaBella

I :heart: JerzeeDevil! :madaddy:

14. greeenie

greeenie Little member

Im mostly an onlooker here, and that being said I do a bit of reading. This has been the single most informative thread so far. The required reading you posted was an awesome explanation of crucible tool steels, makes deciding on steels to try next much easier, thank you. I love following you and learning through you RJ, yet still have to score a knife from you(despite trying last two blade shows). Anyways, onto a simple question, I saw you have used b75p, but not many makers out there use it, any ideas why??

As it stands, I own two of your designed knives through ZT, both 0600 knives in b75p, and in my humble opinion, seems to be an amazing steel and has killer edge retention(takes forever to sharpen), almost on par with what s110v I've used. Thanks for your time.

15. kizuf

kizuf czechee ďábel JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I suppose availability/price could be a category...

16. Scurvy

JerzeeDevil: We're the knifiest.

17. RJ Martin

Yes, just a poll about properties related to steel. The other questions are interesting but not steel related.

B75P is Carpenter's particle metallurgy version of BG42. BG42 was one of the early steels to feature substantial amounts of Vanadium and many, including myself, really liked it because it cut very well.

Of course, the new version is even better. I was asked to make some blades from BG42 a few years ago and was astonished to see all the "graininess" in the steel. In the early 90's, BG42 was about the cleanest, finest grained stainless knife steel available. So, I used to look at that steel and think-Wow, look at the lack of grain!

Funny how things change over time. We really are in the middle of a great era in knife steel technology.

18. Scurvy

My understanding is that bg42 became scarce because the aerospace industry was snatching it all up for bearings.

19. navman

navman Average member

RJ, going back to the question about carbides harder than Vanadium, my initial response was going to be Niobium. My understanding was this is the reason S110V can outperform s90V. What I was told is the Niobium forms harder carbides in the steel matrix and also frees up some of the vanadium in order to increase the high hardness (potential) of the steel.

Titanium carbides would be interesting, but would you be worried about carbide size at the edge and carbide "tear-out?"

Being a steel geek, this thread is endless fun!

20. manix j

manix j Huge member

This is such an informative thread! I'm happy to see the amount of interest in it.