1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The Spoiled Under-30 CrowdMerged with the spoiled under 40 crowd!!!

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Apr 14, 2008

1. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Two years too late , and timely to boot.:bwah:

" There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! "

This week on the radio , I heard Ron Bennington discuss this very aspect of life as we knew it.
    It went like this " Hey kid.........is that a record in your pants ? "
    " Well , I don't know about a record , but it is pretty big around. " :bwah::bwah:

Just not having anything in your life that allows you to create such a great joke is something of a loss.
    I can identify with so much of this thread , but mostly with the musical references and switch blade combs.:devil1:

2. craythegray

craythegray Better than gold or platinum

ROFL!

Well said GoV...Well said!

Though I know my father thought the same about us...he was a WW1 child!

3. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

These 2 threads were just merged for the win. I sank your battleship MoFo! :bwah:

4. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

Fucking bugs the crap out of me when younger people say that something is "old school" when it's only from five years ago.

5. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

:yesman: I Agree!

6. harm

harm knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

i was speaking to a younger buddy of mine and mentioned jokingly that his wife will "Bobbit" him if he gets out of line.i did not realise how young he is when he looked at me blankly and asked for an explanation.

7. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

And now rewritten for your enjoyment!!!

Growing Up Without a Cell Phone
    If you are 40, or older, you might think this is hilarious
    When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways. yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
    And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless.

6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

14)And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!

See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,
    The Over 40 Crowd
    (Send this to someone you'd like to make smile)

8. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

finally found a pic of this damn thing.
    [​IMG]

times were a changing though and we eventually got this cool slider which made it way cooler to fly thru the channels.
    [​IMG]

9. payaso

payaso Soothsayer

Wow...:devilzeek

Seeing that Jerrold controller brings back some memories. That was hightech shit back then.:bwah:

The cord on it did make it alot easier to find the damn thing, too.

10. Towelie

:bwah: good call

11. mako

mako Huge member

I still have my 8 track player and remember "Creature Feature","Rat Patrol" and "Davy & Goliath". Started working @ age 11 with a paper route. Now, I'm 50,have a 2.4 year old son whom I cannot keep up with and wonder where we will be when he's a teen?
    He can watch anything I can think of or remember from the olden days instantly on my Mac!
    He probably will not even know what 35mm film is/was.

12. FLYBYU44

FLYBYU44 Enormous member

I just turned 30, but spent the majority of my childhood in a small house in the woods, so we were a little behind the times. We had a 13" BW TV when I was young, we got one channel CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Channel) and that was with a huge attenna that Dad put on the roof. When I was around 10 or so my cousins got a computer, we played Oregon Trail on it all the time. I used to walk around with a hatchet and a huge butcher knife that I made a sheath out of plastic ice cream lids for. When I turned 15 we got a VCR finally and a color 13". My Parents still had a 13" TV up until a year ago when they went nuts and bought a 46" Sony HDTV and got a HDTV dish. I got a 32" regular TV and I finally got cable a few months ago. I never had internet until I was 18 or so.

13. Anchorblew

Anchorblew Title? What's a title?

Well what is it? You're right, I'm 30 in a few weeks and I don't know what it is. :mabuse:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  14. Gecko

Gecko The Hessian Brigade Member

I know, but I won't tell....:bwah:

Pit

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  15. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I never owned any of them... I had a straight 45rpm record player... couldn't play the 33 1/3s or 78's. By the time I bought my stereo set-up, they didn't make 45's anymore! :bwah:

16. Gecko

Gecko The Hessian Brigade Member

I saved my turntable and some of the old 45'.
    (Good to own even something that is named 45 anyway:ssad:)
    They start selling LP's in the big stores...
    maybe we need those funny thingies again soon?

Cheers,
    Pit

17. Towelie

i only know what that is because my parents had a bunch of 45's.

18. GlockNRolla

GlockNRolla Intergalactic Booty Hunter

Even though the original post is almost 3 years old, I found myself compelled to chime in.

That email was pretty damn accurate and I found myself saying "Amen!" to most of it. LOL. Hell, I remember when the Atari 2600 first came out and it was like $300!! My parents eventually caved in and bought us one. Oh happy day. We wasted mad hours on that thing. I also remember our first "mobile phone". It had its own zip bag, weighed like 10lbs and plugged into the car's cigarette lighter plug. The family's first computer was a Commodore 64. It seemed like a Cray Super Computer to me back then.

Sadly, my Droid X phone easily outperforms all three. :deadevil:

I look back and wonder how we really managed to survive without PS3s/XBoxs, 3G cellphones, and WiFi laptops. LMAO! :shockedevil:

19. Towelie

i recently watch Wall Street Money Never Sleeps and laughed when they are releasing Gordon Gecko from prison and he is re-acquiring his belongings at the counter before he leaves.

[​IMG]

20. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

45's were great.
    Not for listening to...........too much work swapping discs.
    But an M-80 fit perfectly in the hole cross ways.
    Light the fuse and you had the ultimate weapons delivery system.
    They would still sail like a Frisbee and you could get them out past 100 feet before detonation.:bwah::bwah::bwah:
    A buddy moved a record executive and the guy gave him a box full of a Dave Edmunds single..........it wasn't " I hear You Knocking " ..........I don't remember which it was , but clearly not a hit.
    So we had around 1000 of these things and it didn't take long to figure out the M-80 bit.:madaddy: