1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The Prodigy Trainer (Basilisk-based trainer)

twirl Dec 17, 2013

1. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

So there's been quite some interest from the train wreck thread about a trainer based loosely off the Basilisk. There really are tons of trainers out there for under $50 on ebay and from China, but the quality seems to be all crap.

You usually don't see a decent trainer aside from the 40T, 62T, and Metalmark trainer, but my understand is that the "high end" trainer market is pretty limited. They have little collectable value and technically you have 80% of the cost of the whole knife.

So since the debate comes up of price point versus features. What would you like to see in a high-end trainer? Let's put it on the table that it's going to start with a hardened stainless trainer blade, standard bushings, machined titanium handles, stainless spacers and latch.

A "drop-in" blade is a bad idea for many reasons, so I won't go there.

Would it be worth $250? Too high? Remove some features and go for $200? Find a sweet spot at $225? Moku handles and damascus trainer for $900? :bwah:

We can start with this as a draft. It's most definitely subject to change, especially with the handle hole/slot pattern.

[​IMG]

Again, please no PM's. Just trying to gauge what everyone would want.

12/20/13 update:

Ok progress update:

THE TRAINER IS HAPPENING!!!!

I have a great name for it too. Technically it's not an exact Basilisk trainer because it shares features with both the Basilisk, Tempest, and also uh.. "future stuff"

Well, that's the good news. The uh, complication is that I really underestimated the cost (what a freaking surprise) and to be honest, I don't see a high demand for a $400 trainer.

So if you put two and two together, what I'm trying to say is that there isn't a huge margin for cost vs retail but the reality is that trainers have a much less perceived market value even if 80% of it is made of high quality components.

There's still a few ways to make this work. I'd have to sell them direct since I can't afford a dealer margin, add a *little* bit to my original price estimate (yet still try to keep it under $300), and honestly just live with lower margins and make a decision later to continue or limit the run. I also plan to be customizing some special ones myself for those who want something more unique and mid-tech to fill in a little bit.

With machined Ti handles, there was no way this thing was going to happen for $200. And no I'm not settling for a lesser product, that's not what I'm about and there are plenty of options for cheaper trainers.

So there you have it. ETA is mid-late Q1 2014. Est MSRP $250-$299.

3-29-14

Who wants updates? And WIP!!!!

This is for the prototypes. The production versions will be coming shortly after, just some details to finalize. You know, silly things, like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    CannedBullets likes this.
  2. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

I personally don't care and trust your opinion with this... just count me in :bwah:

3. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Sweet spot 225$, just open a list :bwah:.

4. goatlord666

goatlord666 Huge member

that looks quite promising! oh btw, if it can be made into a Batangas style latch too. :bwah:

5. ufokillerz

ufokillerz JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

i feel special, i got to see that picture 14 minutes before the JD posting

6. twirl

Ah crap good catch! I think I sent ONE Basilisk out back in 2007 with the latch on the wrong side. Poor guy almost cut his finger off with the first opening!

goatlord666 likes this.
  7. Kstreetmafia

Kstreetmafia JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Trainer of that caliber, YES!
    In my opinion 200-250 seems like a very reasonable price range. If it had the balance and quality of a Hom piece, sign me up for 2 or 3!
    Were you thinking TI liners and g10?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  8. DeepSkyyz

DeepSkyyz Skyy'z the limit JDBA Official Member

Awww yeah. I'm for sure :thumbsup: maybe blades with no holes in them so they can be ground? :madaddy: jkjk but this would be an awesome trainer. Basilisk 2.0 :bwah: tho I dont think you can make the original any more perfect but of course ive only handled the g10 one before

9. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

A trainer from you would be cool, but those handles with live blades in them would be even better!:manganr::thumbsup:

Not trying to derail your thread Jerry, just giving my honest opinion.

If these were Tempest mimics, then as long as the weight worked out for the trainer blade it should be a great one!

10. Darren Terry

Darren Terry Huge member

Well this is the sickest looking trainer yet! If this flips anywhere near as good as the Basilisk, I think your $225-250 idea would be good. After all, it is a high quality trainer. Can't wait to see it!

11. Kstreetmafia

Kstreetmafia JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

100% agreed live blade! :manganr: please

12. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

13. goatlord666

goatlord666 Huge member

just staring at the image for a minute now and the handle design is also reminiscent of the silver aluminum handled b400, it got me to thinking about an aluminum handled basilisk inspired trainer with stainless liners.

just thinking aloud.

14. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

No aluminum.... name ONE good aluminum flipper out there. Go ahead...

15. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

A very cool idea for those of us in the "unfriendly" areas.

A slotted G10 variant would be sweet.

EDIT: No holes in the last .75 inch of the blade, as well

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  16. twirl

Ah I just checked the B400 and it does have that same hole/slot pattern, just proportionally different. I guess there are only so many patterns to go around, but the Basilisk was out first and I doubt anyone would confuse the two. Plus the pattern is going to be definitely different anyway.

I considered Al overlays over SS liners but I decided that something like that would push it into the $150 price point and it's not really a higher end trainer anymore. I like making the next step up and machined titanium really puts it in that upper category if done right.

@those wanting live blades, that knife will eventually come, but this thread is about trainers dammit!

17. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Any chance of having the blade without the holes? Basically a Basilisk blade that is not sharpened. If it needs to have a hole to distinguish it as being a trainer then put one near the back end of the blade.

Price would have to be $250 (at most). When it hits $300 I just don't see myself spending that much on a trainer when I can just tape a live blade.

***I'll even settle for a G10 Basilisk trainer if that cuts the price down (but I'm assuming you might already have the Ti handles so that won't be cost effective for you)

18. twirl

The holes are there for a reason-- to mimic the same balance point as a blade with the grind. Grind = material removal = holes. It would feel REALLY heavy with no holes. I have the holes following the "grind" line so it represents the weight subtraction, unlike the 40T.

Yeah $300 is really too much for a trainer. But expectations have to be realistic too. No Bill's custom cases with these, haha.

19. goatlord666

goatlord666 Huge member

this is really getting exciting!!! all points well taken especially for the Al handles. I for one will vote for the holes on the handle with the same blade profile to mimic the feel of a live blade on a trainer platform. Will be willing to part with up to 260-270 dollars for this.

20. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

A trainer blade that is properly tempered so it could take a edge perhaps. :madaddy: