1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The obscure movie thread

Mr.LaBella Jan 25, 2007

1. ilovekittens

ilovekittens Sailing the seas of cheese Knife Maker or Craftsman

2. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

3. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

"Hard Candy"....caught this one as a freebie from my cable co.`s On Demand feature. The plotline:
    A 30-something guy chats online with a 14-year-old girl, and decides to meet her in real life....they do, and the whole deal goes sideways from there....

4. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Still looking for good stuff! :jdwink2:

5. the dude

the dude this aggression will not stand man

dead mans shoes
    on netflix now,
    british flick that needs a hollywood remake

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  6. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Might not be that obscure but "The American" with George Clooney.

I work with a guy whose family is Italian and his parents moved back to that area in Italy and saw the movie being made and were extras in some scenes.

We watched it together and he was saying "there's my dad, there's my mom". Funny as hell and the movie wasn't bad either.

7. the dude

i'll take the mini 14:manganr:

8. hot.soapy

hot.soapy Hot and Soapy Devil

Did not see either of them mentioned, so, perhaps not obscure...
    The player. Tim Robbins stars with a host of familiar folks supporting. Session 9. David Caruso was the only person in this I Recognized. Caught these on independent film channel when I Had a dish. I feel they deserve honorable mention. Some good stuff in this here thread. Boogerball posted up every other film I was gonna.

9. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

Is Way of the Gun an obscure movie?

the dude likes this.
  10. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

That really was pretty good, even with a fat Val Kilmer

11. waterdogs

Been watching Sundance and the Indie channel quite a bit lately. A few good flicks I`ve caught:

"Layer Cake".....Daniel Craig is a successful mid-level drug dealer with plans to retire soon, but his boss has one last job for him to complete.
    Colm Meany co-stars.

"Animal Kingdom".....A recently-orphaned Australian teen goes to live with his dysfunctional criminal family, and finds he has some difficult choices to make.

"Pretty Dirty Things"....Illegal aliens discover an organ-harvesting operation taking place in the hotel where they work. Great story with an interesting twist at the end.

12. the dude

got another
    the best roy schieder flick next to jaws
    sorcerer
    best truck over a rope bridge
    next to the phantom:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
  13. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

Moreso than it should be. Great cast, great writer/director (same guy that wrote "Usual Suspects"), tight plot, cool action scenes. One of the most unusual car "chase" scenes ever, and possibly one the funniest opening scenes in movie history.

14. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I absolutely hated Way of the Gun. I tried watching it three times. Never got past the kidnapping before I just turned it off.

15. BaByGoTtHeRuNz

BaByGoTtHeRuNz Enormous member

Rituals (1977) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076630/?ref_=sr_1

"Five doctors go on vacation deep in the Canadian wilderness. After all but one pair of the party's shoes disappear, the remaining shoed camper decides to hike out and go look for help. Soon after he leaves, however, his four companions realizes that something is very wrong when someone leaves a decapitated deer head just outside their camp. Even though they still don't have their shoes, they decide to follow their friend's trail out of the woods, but their path is blocked by someone who doesn't want to see them leave the forest alive."

Hunter, Prey (2010) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270291/?ref_=sr_4

"The Prometheus has dropped out of orbit. Communications and life support systems are down. Situation Critical: Status of Crew and Prisoner unknown. With orders to catch their Alien Prisoner alive the surviving crew of the spaceship Prometheus pursue a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse with their escaped prisoner on a deserted and barren planet. But, who is the hunter and who is its prey?"

Six String Samurai (1998) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118736/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"A mysterious and powerful hero of the classic kind, Buddy is as skilled with his guitar as he is with his samurai sword. Thrown together with a kid whom he saves in a spectacular battle, the two of them must now escape their enemies and reach "Lost Vegas," the rock 'n' roll capital of this future world."

16. Scout

Scout Huge member

BaByGoTtHeRuNz likes this.
  17. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

I have not seen it , and based on Fin's assessment I may not.
    But are we forgetting the breakfast scene in Reservoir Dogs ?
    Followed closely by R. Lee Ermey's Gunny Hartman in Full Metal Jacket.
    For obscure movies , I recently saw The Outfit , with Robert Duval and Joe Don Baker.
    If you like seeing bad guys getting snuffed by good bad guys , this one will do it for you.
    Felon is a nice choice too.....recently saw that and enjoyed it immensely. Stephen Dorff was pretty solid. A much more likeable character that his portrayal of Skip in " City of Industry " , which is a monster of obscure movies.

18. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Just checked what movies are on tonight and found this one from 1975. If you like Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Jill Ireland and Strother Martin, you might enjoy 'Hard Times'. I know I've seen it way back when but I plan on sitting in front of the 'boob tube' watching it again with my feet up, a glass of wine and at least one furry critter by my side. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Times_(1975_film)

19. waterdogs

Yeah....that`s a good flick, a real `70s flashback. Just remember that Bronson was already in his mid-50s when he made this movie....he stayed in shape, and was a tough mofo.... :thumbsup:

20. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Oh no! The next movie up on TCM is Steve McQueen in 'Bullitt'. I may never get to bed! :manganr: