1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The New Shop... finally up and running again!

J. Neilson Jul 8, 2014

1. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hello all,
    I want to apologize for my recent delay in responses to e-mail and phone calls. As many of you know I have been working to build a new shop for about the past 7 months. Well, it’s finally done and tomorrow I will fire up the forges and start the grinders, once I finish up my e-mail replies tonight and tomorrow morning. ; )

This is a big change from the old bank barn and milk house with the office up at the house. I put up a 30’ x 40’ metal pole barn and added spray foam insulation and gypsum board for the walls and I have a double foil ceiling that will last me at least a few years or so before I fork out for a metal one. My original shop was set up as a “hobby” shop, this one is set up like a pro.

[​IMG]
    Here is the outside where I set up my old antique sharpening/wheel (no, I’m not using it) and my wife, Beckie, was nice enough to get me a nice park bench for coffee and phone call on nice mornings.

[​IMG]
    Here is the view from the front door. Main work bench, drill presses, etc. on the right and I even have room to expand. I’m going to need a few more tools if I’m going to start doing some folder work after I take Joe’s class.

[​IMG]
    View from the back corner opposite the front door.... I love my new fans, the upright and exhaust... both 30” and powerful!

[​IMG]
    Here is the forge and heat treat area. Looks pretty now... just give me a couple weeks. ; )

[​IMG]
    I lifted the press up about 8” so I won’t have to bend so much.... getting old is a pain. LOL

[​IMG]
    Here is my oven, Kydex and chemical bench. This will be where I do my acid and antiquing work, heat molded sheaths, etc.

[​IMG]
    Here’s my grinder area. I’ve got my 3 2” x 72” grinders (with room for another horizontal version in the future) and my disc and 1” x 42” on the next bench with my wood and metal band saws behind them. I also made a quick belt rack so I can move around the grinders more efficiently.

[​IMG]
    Can't forget my rotary tool, mini-mill and my Chuck Ward knife makers vise, of course.

[​IMG]
    Here is the office, in the back corner of the building and all sealed up to prevent as much shop dust from getting in.

[​IMG]
    Here is the other side of the office where I have my photo set-up and all of my shipping and show supplies.

Over all, I have more room to work and have things arrange for efficiency as well as room to expand and way better lighting. Everyone said I was working in a cave before. Again, I apologize for the recent delays in my responses but, everything is going back to business as usual tomorrow and all of the orders coming up for completion will be on time ore as close as I can humanly make it so. Thank you again to everyone, your the ones that made this possible.

2. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

nice J you got me beat i still have not got the new shop wored (tho tht should be happening this month )

3. J. Neilson

Well, you were kind of busy last month.

4. markandrex

markandrex Thunderstruck Brigade Member

Very nice looking setup! :thumbsup: I'll look forward to seeing some of the results in the new future:devilwag:

Now, what did you say about folders?:madaddy:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  5. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Very nice!

6. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

looks very nice:thumbsup:

7. c219460

c219460 Brigade Member Brigade Member

Awesome set up, very jealous! :thumbsup:

8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Looking good! :thumbsup:

9. AndyLau

AndyLau Little member

Very nice,glad to hear from you,J.:bwah:
    Andy

10. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Impressive set up. One day down the road perhaps I'll move out of my 6x8 laundry-room / shop. :bwah:

Very best of luck to you ahead.

11. J. Neilson

Hey Andy, sorry for the delay bud. I'll be catching up with you real soon. I swear!
    :jdwink2:

12. AndyLau

AndyLau Little member

Hey J,not a problem,bud.I'd like to see some pix of the folders you made in the future.:thumbsup::madaddy:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  13. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Saw the email. Everything looks great and probably warmer in the winter too :bwah:

folder!?!?!??!?! Me want!!!!

14. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Congrats on the new shop, J

Looks great= Too Clean :D

15. PKDA

PKDA Little member

New shop but all the the same tools. Hopefully that will give you the increased production potential with the same mojo.

Best of luck in the new digs.

16. Joe Whalen

Joe Whalen knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

The shop looks awesome!

17. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

That looks great!:thumbsup:

18. RTBMIC

RTBMIC Huge member

Looks nice J cant wait to get my knife from the new shop.

19. Sean O'Hare

Sean O'Hare O'Hare Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Wow that is awesome! Congrats on the new shop!!!

Great space.

Sean

20. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Congrats

Can't believe I over looked at this thread .First off Congrats on the rebuild of the shop looks awesome .Second What's it look like today after 4/5 month of working steel .:devilwag: