1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The legend returns: Introducing the Carbon Basilisk-R, coming in 2016

twirl Nov 20, 2015

1. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

damn i expected to see some flipping instead it was anything butt.

cool to see theres some collectors amongst true flippers i guess. gota have both cause the flippers aren't spenders unless they can flip the shit out of it.

you can always return it to bladehq for the cunt hair sized scratch.

the only thing the video lacked was tears:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

2. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks everyone for picking up a Basilisk-R! Looking forward to the pictures and videos.

..and if there is a scratch or something that is not satisfactory, please do return it to BHQ.

blevinsknives likes this.
  3. jnguyen7425

jnguyen7425 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I made that scratch when was flipping it. I was just making a funny vid. Sorry if i cause the misunderstanding that I'm actually unsatisfied or that upset with a hairline scratch on the inside of one of the liners. Sorry.

4. melonchocolaty

melonchocolaty JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Should I just assume that I'm gonna tip my Basilisk? I feel like it'll break at any moment, even dropping over carpet. Anything I can do to prevent it (other than not dropping it)

5. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Here is a sometimes out of focus video of my green CF Basilisk-R that just came in today. I really have no words to do this beauty justice! Absolutely amazing work Mr. Hom! Thank you for all of your efforts! :thumbsup:

[video=youtube_share;MCiz4XjS4hk]https://youtu.be/MCiz4XjS4hk[/video]

Here is her sexy shot. :madaddy::devilzeek

[​IMG]

6. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Sure......

Pack it back up, and send it to me for safe keeping!:devilwag::manganr::devilwag:

7. Beatingusilli

Beatingusilli Little member

Grey G10 is Sick AF

Came home to a new Hom last night.! I'm loving the Grey & Black G10, awesome machine. :thumbsup: There is also at least 1 G10 left on the BHQ site now.. :ropeman:

8. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

9. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

10. Donnie B.

Donnie B. JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

And they're gone......

11. Jonre

Jonre JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Just got the blue in today. feels great in hand. going to take a little getting used to but it flips like a dream.

12. b_luntz

b_luntz Huge member

Alright guys - flipinions.

Some of the better flippers I know have told me they flip terrible. I've had 2 and felt they were good. Not outstanding, but far from bad. And they LOOK perfect. But how do they REALLY flip? My blenders and 8 balls aren't complicated enough to really test it

So... Do you like how they flip?
    I kinda do, but Im a tach 2 fan so I'm weird.

13. twirl

Some like it, some don't. Heard some folks at Blade liked it, also heard some folks at Blade did not prefer it. The guys at Blade did not get a lot of time with it so that can be a factor too.

Trying not to be biased well, since it's my knife, but I'm definitely seeing more positives than negatives.

Have also heard positive things about the Tach 2 flipping as well. And then not so positive things.

So far the majority of the criticisms come from the thick handles, which is close to the same thickness as the squidtrainer (which people like) and balibalistic customs.

14. Jonre

Jonre JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

the only thing I could see atm is the thickness. granted I probably haven't put as much mileage on it today as alot of others have the thickness of it, paired with the "floaty" feel kind of throw me off a bit. haven't flipped something that feels like this since the 51 but its like a 51 with beefy handles and a bit more weight behind it.

I think the biggest thing is just getting re-adjusted to flipping with it. you need just a slight difference in how you do some tricks compared to how you would with an average bali handle.

tl;dr: It's a solid flipper for sure but it's one that we need to take a good week to get used to.

15. b_luntz

b_luntz Huge member

To be honest Jerry, I loved the size! Those handles felt great and I'd really like to try a g10 model. Here were my two problems with it, and maybe you can explain one of them.

First is the price point. Why is a knife with the same liner, scale, and blade material as a rep, 100 dollars more? Can you explain maybe? More precision manufacture or just an entire different deal and I'm stupid?

2nd, is that tip! Its absolutely bad ass looking, but its so sharp and thin. Wouldn't something more sturdy have served function prior to form?

thanks for the quick reply. You even replied to me on reddit yesterday, good customer interaction!

16. MidnightAbyss

MidnightAbyss JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Not enamored by the Basilisk R design wise so I've put off getting one. It looks nice don't get me wrong but it's not a Specter... :manganr: The original design is growing on me the more I see it. I'll probably get one next drop so I have another HOMie for my Specter and Prodigy to kick it with.

I had a Benchmade 259 once upon a time and regret trading it. I loved the beefiness of that thing. Heavy as hell but the thickness was awesome when flipping. If the Basilisk R is even the slightest like that thing but lighter it would be pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
  17. twirl

Thanks for picking one up. I do try to get back to people as much as I can.

Price point in comparison to something else is kind of silly. The same can be said about cars, shoes, etc. Both car brands have four wheels, both shoes are made of the same leather. Why is the Specter $60 more than the AB and why is the AB $150 more than the DB3? I bought three ABs, but I didn't buy any DB3's despite them being a far better deal. And I would have bought the Specter even if it wasn't my knife.

But a better comparison is the G10 Basilisk-R to the Select Replicant, which was about $330 IIRC. Which the price difference is only about $40. Not completely off the mark here.

Yes the tip is more fragile than a knife that has the profile of say, a fixed blade. People want a sexy profile and they especially wanted the Basilisk blade back. If I removed the swedge, it would be more durable, but there would be complaints that the blade is uglier and has less features. If I reprofiled it and made the tip profile wider, they would complain that it is not true to the original. You understand the dilemma.

The other way to look at it is to understand the risk that ALL knives will get damaged when dropped, especially on the tip, but some more than others. Some people take their used Hondas on the track, and some take their Ferraris knowing full well that their insurance is not valid if they crash it.

18. twirl

If beefy is your thing, you'll love it. And yeah, I really like the Specter design myself :jdwink2:

If you would like, I'm doing an unofficial Basilisk-R passaround if you want to check it out. It's a CF/gold one.

19. b_luntz

b_luntz Huge member

I believe a premium was 315? But yeah that makes sense. I understand.

And right on with the tip. Gotta give the people what they want!

The specter is one I need to try, big time.

20. twirl

Premium replicant - $315
    anodized liners and pocket clip.

Select Replicant - $333.99
    two-color G10, tumbled liners, and pocket clip

So the G10 Basilisk is $36 more, but minus the pocket clip.