1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The Knives From The Grind - In

Mike Stewart Oct 3, 2011

1. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

I am proud as a Peacock and doing a little Crowing about my two cool as shit custom JD Grind-In knifes !!!

First let me say that I'd guess I had about 60% of the work in the first knife " I made" --- and maybe a bit more in the second. And a Special THANK YOU to -- Mike Stewart , James Stewart , Skittles , Dan , and ALL The BRKT Crew who helped turn my two " hammers" into two knives that I'll always be proud of and that I'll NEVER sell !!!

The first is what I like to call my JD Pirate Knife --- I "stole" the handle shape from Rich Derespina of JD fame -- Rich , they say forgery is the highest form of flattery and I am Flattered To Forge your great handle shape off your Brooklyn Bowie !!! I modded the blade shape to be a bit more narrow at the base and more of a sweep to the point. I went with Ghost Green Micarta scales and Blue liners --- the blue shines thru the green around the edges in bright light -- so damn cool !!! After Mike S. came out of retirement to help and with even more help from Skittles -- they both fixed the waves in the blade that I had ground !!
    And then Dan helped/did a great polish job and final sharpining so that the knife cuts paper like a warm knife thru butter.

[​IMG]

On Sunday -- we had a good-bye breakfast with the other devils who had to catch a plane and wouldn't be staying to do a 2nd knife -- so , I lost a hour or two of "grind time" {well worth it} and I asked Mike if there was a semi-finished blank in his personal stash --- he opened 4 or 5 drawers for me and told me to take which ever knife blank I wanted -- SO I DID !!! I chose a smaller knife so we could get it done in time for his crew to head home as it was a long weekend for them all with 30 Devils bugging the shit out of them every minute we were there.

It is a modded Fox River that I pimped out with a AWESOME set of Blue Maple Burl Wood that I was lucky to snag { I hid those scales for two days !!! } and I ground off the exposed laynard tang and added a semi-sharp swedge to the top on the blade.

[​IMG]

This was my first Grind-In and it was AMAZEING to watch a flat piece of steel transform into a knife as you worked on it --- I NEVER thought I could do such a thing but Mike reasurred me that I would have all the help I needed to make a knife that I could be proud of --- and he was right -- again !!!!

To those that didn't get to go -- you OWE IT to yourself -- this is maybe a once in a lifetime oppertunity and you will NOT find another person like Mike Stewart who will open their factory , their machines , their skilled workers , and make YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR PART OF THE BRKT FAMILY !!!

All I can add is THANK YOU ALL ----- Bird

GEEZER likes this.
  2. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

So when do we get to vote on our favorites? :madaddy:

3. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

About a half hour before we eat.

4. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Definitely Pimpin' 'Bird.

I'm gonna do all I can to get to the next one.

Hopefully, you won't be too old by then (infected udders, etc.) and

party we shall.

5. griff

griff Huge member

WOW! :ross::ross::ross:

6. Lugaldamhara

Lugaldamhara Little member

Holy.....

Sweet Mary Mother of Jesus....

This is the best Grind-In inventory I have ever seen. Some really nice designs coming out this time. I love the big blades. From top to bottom I really love the knives in pics numbers...

With 13, 15 and 18 being my favorites and that Clax on a stick is beyond awesome. If Mike and CO. decide to add any of these, or any similar, to the production list then sign me up!!!!! Great job guys!!!!!!

7. Rock

Rock Kowulz.com

Every one is a beaut! Great job, folks!

8. sc_barker

sc_barker knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Some fantastic knives. i bet it was a great weekend.

9. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

This is just gold. Good people meet on JD and, thanks to the skills and resources of other 'good guys' - get together and create - beauty, camaraderie & sweet memories.

So much of today's culture is about knocking down - this is a beautiful example of building up: skills, friendships ... a force for good in the universe

Doc Pringles, OnceBitten and GEEZER like this.
  10. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Hats off to all of you Lucky Devils,all the knives i saw on this thread you all should be proud of ,They are all SWEET,,I too wish I lived closer and had the time,one day maybe,

11. bigbob68

bigbob68 non poseur

Awesome work to all who made it possible and all who made those fantastic blades. I say, let's have a poll of who made the best looking one.

12. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Some fine lookin' knives! :devilzeek

Looks like Kitchen style knives were amongst the necessities.
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

Wezy has taken a liking to a Big Bullnose Skinner recently.

13. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

A ton of good looking blades there Devils.

Well done, all of ya.

14. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

While the pictures are fantastic, they do no justice to the real beauty of each knife..
    (As they say, you kind of had to be there).

15. supersuby

supersuby OG TRIPLE OG

Beautiful work by everyone, they are all amazing :thumbsup:

16. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Well fuck then!

BTW here is a photo Mike made up of the Assegai... Forest_Scene.sized.jpg

17. kayakjax

The picture is pretty cool, but that pig sticker is fuckin' awesome in person!

18. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

If that Boar looks a little scared it is because My sister was chasin' him around earlier.

SugarSkull likes this.
  19. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Wow. You folks made some great knives.

Way to go Devils! :ross:

20. kayakjax

Just before I left Sunday afternoon, Jimmy was helping somebody put a stacked leather handle on their Clax.

It looked great and felt even better in the hand.

I don't know if any pictures got taken of it, but I'd sure like to see one posted here if one's available.

It was when I was going around shaking hands, so I saw everybody in a short time, but I'm kinda thinking it was either Mike Grasso or Nasty.

One of my favorite knives I saw all weekend.