1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The Knives From The Grind - In

Mike Stewart Oct 3, 2011

1. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Here are the Knives that were made at the 2011 JD Grind-In

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is all of them.

The Last pic is Mike Grasso's Assagai (Zulu style thrusting spear) that he made from one of our old Clax Blades and a shovel handle we got at Tractor Supply - pretty slick.

As You look these over you will see that these Grind - In knives just keep getting better and better.

I want to thanks all of the Great folks that Came out to the event.

We really had a ton of fun and turned a lot of faceless names on a forum into a great group of Friends.

We all Need to thank Ron for the Jerzee Devil Forum.

I have never enjoyed a Grind - In more than this one.

Devils Rock.

Mike

2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Copied this thread here, to let the Devils shine! :devilzeek :madaddy:

**You can click on each, individual picture for a larger file version****

GEEZER likes this.
  3. b-mac

b-mac Mac Daddy Devil

Man I have to get to one of these!!!! Awesome work folks!

4. apocalypseGear

apocalypseGear Little member

Great work to all! These are amazing... What fun.

5. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Fine looking work Devils!

Please go to the Introduction area and introduce yourself. The link is in my signature.

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Little member

Devils Work !

Great work you Devil's !!

Nice to see the creativity w/ blade shapes and scales.
    Real " Cutting Edge " ! I am inspired to go forth and grind !
    and proud to be a member. Kayaker

7. Nasty

Nasty Huge member

I have been busy over at Knifeforums and not posted here much although I lurk quite a bit. Clearly, I have been missing the boat. I had a ton of fun meeting all of those who attended and will try to make time to visit here more often.

Thanks for taking the lead on this Ron!

DaBird likes this.
  8. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

My Two Grind-In Knives

I went to the Grind-In with no idea of what I wanted to make.

I Don't really need a big honkin' chopper; it'd just be a safe queen.

I didn't have any cool pirate knife ideas like DaBird, or have real use for a bitchin' wire stripper that an electrician like Norcal would envision.

I like to eat (as everyone who met me can obviously tell), and I like to cook, so I decided to make a couple kitchen knives that I'll use every day for the rest of my life.

[​IMG]

My first knife started with a Kitchen Petty blank. My first (and favorite) BRKT is a Northstar with maroon micarta scales and mosaic pins, so I decided to go with those materials. With the help of all the BRKT guys, I was guided every step of the way with great instructions.

I kept playing with the handle shape and finally got it feeling like a part of my hand. The blade is pretty thin, and after grinding a while, I was afraid I'd fuck it up beyond repair, so I got Skittles to finish the grind. He's a master, and completed a perfect convex for me in about two minutes (after I dicked around for twenty).

[​IMG]

My second knife is a little paring knife. My go-to paring knife has been a cheapo Chicago cutlery knife that fits my hand nicely but has a shitty blade shape and is a bear to keep sharp.

I wanted as thin a blade as possible, and Mike finally found an old German blank in the office. It was a long thin blade with:

FRIEDR. HERDER ABR, SOHN
    SOLINGEN - GERMANY

stamped on it.

I drew out a shorter drop point design, then Mike and I headed back to the shop. He used a surface grinder to try to take the old stamp out, but it was too deep, so we decided to just leave it on. Then, he proceeded to shape it into the drop point I wanted.

I decided to stay with the maroon micarta, but since this one will be my beater, I just went with brass pins.

I glued the slabs and pinned them Saturday afternoon, and left it to finish Sunday.

On Sunday, I took the handle down to a small rounded cigar shape. Since this blade was even thinner than the other after the surface grinding, I asked Jim Stewart to do the convex. Jim is another wizard of the belt grinder.

Once I had it all polished to my liking, I took it to Jacquie to etch (like she did all of them). Because of the German stamp, she had to etch the "Custom 2011 Grind-In" on the other side from usual.

Then I took it to Crystal to photograph. She's the one who takes all those beautiful pictures of BRKT knives you've been drooling over all these years. Because the stamp is on the other side, she had to turn the knife the other way. Of all the hundreds of pictures of BRKT knives I've seen, it's the only one I can remember that's turned the wrong way, and the only one she could remember photographing. I think that's pretty cool.

It's just a little paring knife that'll spend it's life peeling onions and potatoes, but it's special to me. Mike, Jimmy and Jacquie Stewart all put their special touch on it, and it's THE backwards BRKT photo knife.

And it's all mine.

GEEZER likes this.
  9. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Average member

Nice work Devils !

I really don't know if all of the blade styles shown are regular inventory for BRL or if some of them are custom, but if they are custom then they should hit regular production.

You all did fantastic work!

I really wanted to go to this but couldn't due to family obligations, boy did I miss out! Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one, until then I'll just keep drooling over these pics and thinking of how sexy a grind in Golok will be.

Stay safe Devils

10. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Average member

Damn fat fingers

BRK not BRL

11. Mogmz

Mogmz Little member

Several knives that I'd be proud to own, great job to all those who participated.

12. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

It was a great time! Thanks to everyone, especially Ron for his Jersey hospitality (%$&$^&% You, that's mine, gotta love it, was like being in Brooklyn again). If you were on the fence about coming out, get yourself on a plane next time.

Mike

DaBird likes this.
  13. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

You Devils did some stellar work. Be proud of your new Grails.

:thumbsup:

14. fivefold

fivefold Little member

Man, wish I could have been there! Looks like everyone had a great time and some cool knife designs too. Kudos!

15. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

Fuck yeah. Some beautiful knives were produced by some great Devils. There are some here that I never even had a chance to see. Impressed is an understatement. I love the knife I made and I plan on using the hell out of it the first chance I get. I still use the Santoku I made last year on a daily basis.

16. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Plan on gettin' some serious (deer) blood on mine soon!

17. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

you can actually just type the word "fuck" here mike.
    THIS forum isn't G rated. :devil1:

GEEZER likes this.
  18. shakie

shakie knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

You guys all have great skills! wish I could of been there... :shakie:

19. Spherediving

Spherediving Average member

Jealousy, Envy, call it what you like...

Most times I'm jealous of stuff like the availability of basic items or services, like just being able to go out and buy a knife that you think is nice, going out to Boston Pizza and having an order of Baked Tortellini with extra Cheese, it seems like "Anything" you really want is unavailable.
    I cant even get any decent Paracord here,
    BTW Thanks again Mike Mann for the Care Package,
    (He sent me some and then wouldn't take any money for it, only someone from the JD would do anything like that IE: Glen seems to be constantly giving away fantastic Lights).

The JD forum has been awesome for that, I have done some great deals with people here, You don't make a lot being a Dive Instructor or Equipment repair Tech, and every single one of the people I have dealt with in the last year or so that I have been reading you guy's posts, and buying a few knives here have treated me great.
    Not a single person has not done exactly as they promised, if anything, they went above and beyond to help me out.
    For years now I have been dealing with living and working with people who's prime goal in life is to be the exact opposite of that.

And now you guys show me these awesome blades that you got to design and make.
    It's depressing as hell, you have added another incentive to get my butt home.

Awesome knives guys, and i cant tell you how much I would have loved to have been there even if you had just let me watch, and maybe learn a little...

Looking at the finished products, you guys have some pretty great skills that I wish I had a chance to acquire.

All the best from the rain soaked Island of Phuket.

Cheers

20. rsukach

rsukach Little member

Good looking knives!

I wish I lived closer!