1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The journey so far... Picture heavy

senseicharles Feb 8, 2015

1. welderknifenut

welderknifenut JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Very cool Charles, love your knife design.:madaddy:

2. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

Hell yeah! :thumbsup::manganr:

3. kenshiro

kenshiro JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Much respect, your thread inspires me and I'm motivated to do more work today :thumbsup:

The knife you are making is really nice and wonder how it feels to see it in real life, and hold it in your hands?

And a question if you don't mind. I've seen little cheap CNC for a few hundred but I wonder what it takes to get going with that whole setup like you have to make something serious, did you consult with someone with a similar set up - or research it for a long time?

Also had a question about your kimura handles but I'll post it in another thread.

Originally when I read your post my first thought that you have an amazing journey you are on, and I wish I could know more!

4. 42flipper

42flipper JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Excited to see your work!!:devilcorn:

What did the grizzly set u back (if u don't mind me asking)??

5. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice work sensei!

senseicharles likes this.
  6. senseicharles

senseicharles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Thanks for the encouraging words. I bought the wood box, carved the signature and logo into it and stained it. Obviously I can't sell them but hit me up, maybe I can walk you through making one of your own. :jdwink2:

7. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

:facepalm: Opportunity missed! :bwah:

8. senseicharles

It would probably run about $3500-$4000 for the mill, high end conversion kit, computer, electrical, precision measuring tools, Glacern vise, cooling system and custom overflow tray and the programs for CAD and to run the G-code. I paid a little more than that because I did not do the conversion on this mill myself and I wanted it dialed in and ready to go out of the box.

Some tips for setting this type of thing up:

* OVER build your own bench for it. I had the materials cut at the lumber yard to save me hassle and to make sure the measurements were exact to what I wanted. Use casters (rated for 350 or better) so you can move it around. The stand it comes with will need to be anchored to the floor and still won't be ideal. It is too light, narrow and sits too low.

* You'll either need a hoist or a few friends to help move the mill onto your bench. It weighs close to 400lbs

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  9. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

:bobert::thumbsup:

10. senseicharles

I know, I KNOW! :bwah: I wanted to "jump on it" but feel free :devilwag:

11. M.Reno

M.Reno Cowboy JDBA Official Member

This is very exciting and look forward to being on "the list". That Bali is killer.

Marty

12. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Did you make any of the parts for the Balisong you designed or was it all outsourced?

If not, have you made any knives yet or still learning too?

13. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Very happy for you and I can't wait to see what you produce!:thumbsup:

14. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

DAMN! You totally had me fooled with that "Jody Samson" box.
    Glad you're honest. You could have ripped me off AND taken advantage of me.:ropeman::bwah:

The rest of you SHUT UP! No Freebies!:devilfinger:

PS-RagE likes this.
  15. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

awesome story, your bali looks really good!

16. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Good luck

The CNC is pretty legit but the 2x72 with vfd is what really has my attention.

17. senseicharles

The two protos we are working on right now were completely outsourced. Waterjet parts went to Matt Cook for blade grinds, Dave Santiago put a finish on the blades and provided some strong feedback and tips for moving forward. WyldStyl3 has contoured one set of handles and the other set will be left a little blockier. He is also working on the latches and final assembly before they go out for a pass around. The goal is that between the two of us, we hope to do a numbered run of 13 and some customs and special one-offs this year. If I felt I had no talent for it and regretted any of the mods I have done, I would not tread this far. Gotta start somewhere so I started with mods and then a design.

18. Bali-man

Bali-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This has been a very long process but well worth it!

19. squidmaster23

squidmaster23 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Looks great:thumbsup: What are its specs?

20. senseicharles

it's a 154cm blade at .125 thick like the 4X series. That may change though to a thicker stock later. Sandwich Ti handles with beefed up hardware and standard tang pins. The protos are about the length of and PAB. Things we are working on include spring latches, pocket clips, anodizing and more blade profile options.