1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The Hurt Locker takes Best Picture...

Tony8179 Mar 8, 2010

1. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

And I couldn't agree more. I thought it was an awesome movie. There were other movies that were nominated that I really liked. I especially liked Inglorious Basterds, but The Hurt Locker was such a fantastic movie. Good stuff! :manganr:

2. dinozzo

dinozzo Little member

One of the guys i know just got back from the sandbox and he was put with the EOD guys, and he said they hate that movie...they said it was not the way the do it at all...i thought that it was interesting...

3. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

Bringing overrated to a whole new level.

4. Tony8179

I don't know anything about how it is with the EOD guys over there in real life. It's just a movie that I liked alot. Some may consider it over rated, just like anything in this world. I still thought it was good. If you want to talk over rated then I suggest that another Avatar thread should be started. :devil1:

5. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

it was a great movie:ssmile:

6. Rat Finkenstein

Avatar is overrated as hell. I watched Hurt Locker on a DVD screener long before the hype started, and I was very unimpressed. I was surprised to see how far they hyped it, I figured it would be a direct to DVD release.

7. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

No kidding. Avatar was visually stunning and all, and i heard from pretty much everyone i know that it was fucking amazing, but IMO the story line wasn't that great. Seemed almost borderline political when it came to the US invading other territories. Plus, i wasn't to keen on the name of the resource they were after, "unobtainium". Way ghey.

Hurt Locker was slow in parts and hollywooded up i'm sure when it came to EOD guys, but what isn't spruced up and faked for TV or movies to make it more appealing these days. I still hate how lame they make the Brit contractors look though. At the awards, Kathryn Bigelow seemed a little out of it when she came back to collect for Best Picture. I think she even thanked Cal Trans and Epic Beard Man.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  8. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

'The Hurt Locker' was an example of absolutely excellent film making. I was so glad to see it sweep the Oscars like it did.

As far as all the stuff of 'the experts say it's fake' that I see posted in this and other threads...

The screenwriter was embedded with an EOD team so he could write the screenplay in a factual way. That's pretty solid research as he was actually with them while they were doing their thing. A sergeant from that EOD group is now suing him claiming the movie is an actual retelling of his story in Iraq. So the sergeant who is an EOD tech is suing the now Oscar winning screenplay writer because the film is so accurate to his story. It must be pretty fucking accurate I'd say.

So it's a realistic and accurate movie, as far as movies are. Sometimes people aren't intelligent enough to distinguish the difference between a documentary that should be absolutely factual, and a movie that has a story to tell while trying to be very realistic in doing so.

Towelie likes this.
  9. Rat Finkenstein

If he is suing, it is probably over the parts about the character and his family. Not the unrealistic remainder of the film.

10. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I haven't seen it yet and intend to very soon.

One thing I do like is smaller films with less budget being able to capture the attention and win kudos versus a big budget Hollywood epic. Avatar had a huge investment in Computer Generated animation. I will see it once the line ups at our local 3D Imax have subsided.

11. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

I must be that... you know... because you want that to be true and you have no information at all to actually form an opinion on the topic.

:bwah:

12. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

Good film.. glad it got the recognition it deserved.

13. Tony8179

To me it was a movie that told a good story through great performances. How many actual big explosions in the movie? Very few. Of course there were firefights, very tense and suspenseful moments, and the "sniper scene" was just cool as hell, but overall the characters and the acting were what really drew you in and kept you watching.

14. KnifeMarshal

KnifeMarshal Devil's Marshal

+1, i thought that movie was great:ross:

15. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

I haven't yet viewed the movie, but it's on the list.

[​IMG]

The photo you are looking at is from the Iraq years. The cleaned version is framed hanging on virtually every Military Brasses' wall. The story is tougher to find. If you can find it your help would be appreciated.

What you are seeing is an in moment photograph of a Sarge giving the fuck you to his would be murderer. His would be cowardly murderer was found by triangulation quickly and sniped.

While advancing a troop member found a wire of length above the dirt. Withdrawing his company ( correct me if i'm getting this procedure wrong), the Sgt followed the wire far enough to realize it was a trap, While shouting orders the man was blown nine feet into the air. As he was stunned his company saw to his injuries. Pants burning were ripped off and Sgt received minimal burns to his lower body and legs.

Fuck you I'm still here.

If anyone can find the story, around 2005/6 in Iraq, I would appreciate it.

How unlikely does that fit expectations?

16. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

any movie that the critics and or academy awards/oscars love isn't worth a shit and I won't see them

if a critic hates a movie then you can pretty much guarantee that I'm going to watch it

if a critic loves a movie, I won't go see it

17. Iceman

Iceman GI-NORMOUS member

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/burghardt.asp

Rio and SugarSkull like this.
  18. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Great Iceman. Thank you very much. :ross:

19. Rat Finkenstein

Sure, imagine whatever makes you feel special. Douche. :thefinger

Also, postdrunkless. . . you might start making coherent thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  20. Tony8179

Saving Private Ryan? Braveheart? The Departed? These are amazing movies. You refuse to watch them because they were awarded Best Picture?? You're cheating yourself out of seeing some great movies Ken. I'll agree that most of the artsy movies that the Academy and critics seem to drool over usually suck, but the Best Picture movies over the past ten years have been pretty damn good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
    Towelie likes this.