1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit (2012)

TacoMan5000 Dec 21, 2011

1. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

It is a wee bit thin for a dwarf... :dwarf:

2. coyotebc

coyotebc Huge member

I just hope they don't butcher it like they did LOTR

3. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Please expound upon that statement, sirrah.

4. Peter Lezard

I don't want to speak for anyone, but like I said, I know hardcore LOR fans that REFUSE to see the movies, and flame "bandwagon" people like me. Good thing for me, thanks to this place, my 'net fighting skills are the stuff of legend.... :jdwink2:

The funny thing is, I was told since grade school that I should read the books, but never did, until the first movie hit. I now read them every year. I know lots of people in the same boat, so while there are parts of the movies that now bug me, Peter Jackson did get me to read the damn books, so I don't think we should be to hard on him... :twocents:

5. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

I will admit, I got sidetracked towards the end of TTT. But from what I recall, Jackson was pretty faithful to the storyline. Yes, some things got left out, but that always happens. I also happen to know that some of those things are IN the collector's editions; there was quite a bit cut before release to theaters. Gil-galad makes an appearance at the battle of the Last Alliance in TFOTR, Gandalf fighting the Witch King, etc.

6. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

The story line was just TOO epic to be released on film in it's entirety.
    I know I've been disappointed by movies in the past, but LOTR was just fantastic. I was not disappointed in the least by Jackson's vision.

7. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

8. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

I love me some Billy Connolly!

9. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

10. Peter Lezard

11. lachrymalex

lachrymalex hellion on point

This is pretty fucking awesome.

I don't bag on anyone who got into the books after seeing the movies. I'm just glad that they decide to read the books. I DO, however, bag on people who read the books because of the movies, and either claim the movies are better, or give up halfway through.

My biggest peeve are the hardcore fuckers, who refuse to acknowledge how great the movies were. Yes, there were some inaccuracies, and some things that weren't in the book. Yes, there were tons of shit left out. But I think Jackson had a deep love and respect for the story, and did his best to interpret it faithfully.

12. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

I think we have to wait for the second one, in 2013, to see Beorn fight Bolg, and Smaug...

SPOILERS!

GET HIS ASS KICKED BY BARD!

13. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Saw the midnight screening.
    SEE IT!!!
    That is all.

14. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

We are going to see it tonight.:manganr:

15. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

This was really good. But bring a cup to piss in; it is a long goddam movie.

16. TPetsch

TPetsch Ice Cold Handshake

17. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Saw it at the midnight screening in IMAX 3D.

1. I more than liked the movie but it was no LOTR (worth seeing again though).
    2. Didn't like the high frame rate. Made it look less "real".
    3. Get good seats or your neck is going to pay the price
    4. There's a lot of hidden foreshadowing scenes...love it (The Necromancer).
    5. Can't wait to see the next movie.

MiG Angel likes this.
  18. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

hobbit...

respect my autoraty

[YOUTUBE]MxlY27d0v4g[/YOUTUBE]

:manganr:

i wait for the download

19. the dude

the dude this aggression will not stand man

i took my boy
    i fell asleep ($20 nap-imax 3d)
    woke up 1 1/2 hours later
    what did i miss i asked?
    nuthin replied the boy
    went back to sleep

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
  20. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

I am a long time fan that read the books when I was young with my grandmother (we read chapters together using separate books in the same room).

I have always loved the books, but always found some of the more in depth back stories very difficult to get my head around (like Tom B.) until I reread them years later.

There is NO WAY the Hobbit should be three movies, given that he managed to get the entire LoTR into three films.

It is scandalous, and only a money making enterprise.

That said, unlike how quickly I saw each of the LoTR trilogy multiple times in the theater...this one I am betting will be a single sitting...if not a rental.

I don't want to risk tainting my feelings regarding Peter's success on the LoTR series.

Those movies are some of the best movies ever made, given the supreme challenge those books represent to a potential film maker.

obi