1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

The "Avatar" Ripoff

md02geist Apr 19, 2010

1. md02geist

md02geist Huge member

So as some of you may know, Avatar comes out on DVD tomorrow.

What you may NOT know is that Avatar is being re-released with "30-40 minutes" (this is what I've read) of additional content including some training scenes, some cultural background on the Na'vi, and even a smurfy love scene (bow chicka wow-wow).

So they're hitting you four time for the same movie:
    -Once in theaters when you saw it the first time
    -Once when you buy the DVD with just the movie on it (no extras whatsoever I've been told)
    -Once when you see the re-released version with extra footage in theaters
    -Once when they release the re-released version on DVD.

So...if you can hold out until later on this year (I think 3rd/4th quarter) You can just buy the finalized long version.

Didn't know if you guys were aware that they were doing this. Cash cow I tell ya.

2. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

I didn't see this in the theaters, still kicking myself in the ass. The regular widescreen DVD looked great on my 20" regular tv :ssad:. Looks like the Blu Ray version got all of the goodies.

Can't fault them for milking the number one grossing movie of all time.

3. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

I don't see anything wrong with good ol' American marketing that brings you "new and improved." If we all didn't like goodies added to basic products, there would only be one knife model.

4. hangtime

hangtime eccentric orbit

I did not actually go see it in the theatre. . .

I don't plan on buying the video. I may watch Smurfahontas when it comes out on cable T.V. but probably not 'til then. I did find watching the re-enactors with blue body paint pretty entertaining though.

5. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

I am waiting for the postie to deliver my Avatar bluray.

6. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Not interested in the flick at all.

7. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

I will buy it, don't know when though

8. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

They did the same thing with Lord of the Rings. I waited till the extended ones came out before I bought them.

Avatar was not bad...not gonna be one I buy however...

9. Clint

Clint Advocatus Diaboli

Saw it in 3-D at the theater and really enjoyed it.

Watched it again at home as a rental.

Will probably end up with a copy here at home too.

10. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Don't make me cu..OW! Knife Maker or Craftsman

Just rented and saw it last night. It wasn't really for me, but I won't say I regret having seen it. Not really sure why it was so popular though.

11. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

Because it was really freaking cool on the big screen and in 3D.

I'm in no rush to buy the DVD. I've got a dinky Low-D TV, so maybe when the ultra-uber-extended version is out, and I've got a better TV, I'll buy it.

12. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

13. D1omedes

D1omedes Average member

I think I'm one of five Americans who didn't see Avatar. :bwah:

I just wasn't pulled into it and thought the movie was over-hyped. The fact that 3D tickets are $15 just ticks me off. I didn't feel the story would satisfy the anger over the expensive ticket.

I bet they are also going to release a 3D Avatar Blu Ray when the new 3D tv's come out.

droid likes this.
  14. bohica1998

bohica1998 Huge member

They've been doing this for years. That's all those "Collector's Edition" and "Director's Cut" versions are - re-releases with extra crap added so they can sell you the same movie again.

I'm number 2, I guess

15. md02geist

md02geist Huge member

I saw it and picked it up. I love the movie, I'm a sucker for the ripoff. :)

16. snufferoo

snufferoo snuffaluffagus devil

I didn't see it in theaters and I really don't give a shit about seeing it on DVD. Just saying.

17. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

A review...providing a great deal of comedy and insight into the BS packaged as 'Avatar'. Just one guy's opinion. If you like it...his 7 part review of StarWars is unbelievable.

[YOUTUBE]uJarz7BYnHA[/YOUTUBE]

obi

18. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

Fuck it we all knew they would stick it to us right up to the balls when they started to release the DVD's and such. While there is an ambition and 'dream' the Director went for he also has bills to pay, hefty bills at that. I'm just surprised they haven't designed some new fucking technology to release a special, ultra rare version on.

This type of thing isn't new, look at Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. While Avatar ain't shit compared to them it does have similar bills.

19. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

I watched it last night, I thought it was a really good movie.

20. Markous

Markous as a kite Brigade Member

They are gonna milk it good

I read some where it's not gonna come out in 3D on bluray until early 2011 watch it sell millions more then.