1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

thai e-nep. rattan handle

ausjulius Apr 8, 2014

1. ausjulius

ausjulius Little member

so of you guys might know these thai knives. known as "meed e-nep" (knife enep) in thailand , although im told correctly the name should not be e-nep. but something like "twisted rattan knife" when translated to english. although ive never met any thais who new it by a different name.

there is lots of e-nep styles , this is one of the more recognizable ones.
    and i think the most attractive in blade shape.

e-nep can go almost from a small knife with a almost re-curve bowie type shape up to a large kukri type chopper.

this one i purchased of a tool maker recently in a small regional city.

the blade is from some canadian tool steel plates he had obtained somehow.. they appeared to be blanks punched out in a diamond shape ready for drop forging, most likely for a specific part, some had the makers ontario address already impressed in them. i imagine they might have be for a agricultural machine of sorts, he had many sacks of them and they made a perfect enep blade after a bit of forging, they looked quite old.. 30+ years. he wasn't using any recycled steel,
    the other stuff he had was bar stock from taiwan and korea
    unlike many smiths in thailand no saw blades, truck springs or other car parts .. just new steel, or in the case of the forged canadian blanks, some sort of cutting blade tool steel..

anyway they guy was quite friendly and him and his son took some time to chat with me.

e-nep was their main product and they made lots of them in many styles

they were still using a hand plane to thin out the blades in the 21st century.. they did have a trip hammer which is odd as a belt sander would have made things easy. but i guess old habits die hard.

anyway this one is interesting because the handle is actually rattan cane.

this is unique in that when wet the handle will grip your hand, unlike wood, it acts like cork or compressed birch bark that is used in russia for handles, i think birch bar is far superior in a wet environment to rattan , but then you must understand it is stacked material, and can only be used on knivesand not on anything being introduced oto any great degree of force like an e-nep (that and there is no birch in thailand)
    it is far superior to wood for a handle material it is stronger , transfers impact better and it is cheap and easy to work , one downsode is that id can really only make a few shapes and sizes.

i am experimenting in obtaining a curved golok shaped rattan handle of one of these knives to see how it works.
    as the rattan handle will have to be curved first and steamed before shaping.. must find a thick hunk of rattan ..

this knife really chops nicely and i prefer to to a kukri, it cuts well and dosnt glance off material like a kukri blade does, being a tool and a weapon, while the traditional kukri is really all weapon

anyway just took the pictures before bedtime so they aint very impressive,

if i get round to if i will upload some videos of the e-nep being made and some fotos.
    next to it is a thai club named a khom-fag thais being thais drop of the g becoming khom-faa, this one is a beast and more of a club than a baton , made from heavy hard wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Great thread!! Thanks for sharing, I'd love to hear more of this story too:devilcorn:

3. ausjulius

ausjulius Little member

hey or sure, well,
    what to say there is lots of knife making here in thailand.

i made an enep the other day for my wife :)
    ill ad some pictures when i take a foto of it.
    here is some others i sharpened recently DSC03052.jpg

DSC03064.jpg

4. ausjulius

ausjulius Little member

or make a club at home from a jungle bamboo root (dont know the name of this type of bamboo but its solid with no hollow centre and very heavy 3 or 4 times nromal bamboo)
    and paint it like a snake.. DSC03296 (Large).jpg