1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Tang pin resiliency

subtlemovement Aug 10, 2018

1. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Sob stories of Arc-Angel and 4x tang pins loosening and being sent off to the vet for repairs aside, has anyone had or heard of a newer balisong with a tang pin fault? I've seen a mess of AB beaters on for-sale pages the past few years, and none of them in my memory had any tang pin issues listed, and I can't even begin to imagine a beefy HOM tang pin failing. I did see one review of a tach III where the tang pin was loose on the first day, but my personal one has been fine since I got it.

Are we just better engineers 20 years later, or is it precisely the fact that AAs and 42s are ~20 years old that they fail on occasion, and in another 20 years our ABs and HOMs are gonna go to shit? :D

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Tang pin on a dogbite i sold was apparently wiggly. I had a roton where the tang pin would eventually slide out. Thats about it.

3. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Multiple complaints of the BM87, if flipped hard I guess.

So sad ;(

4. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

BM 87 pins are screw in though right? Take a bit of JB Weld and solve that problem in a day, for forever.

5. Baliman987

Baliman987 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The Tang pin on one of my 4x has been “loose” for 5 years.

6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Red loctite has been known to hold them still for a while if you aren't dropping it on concrete.

7. Baliman987

Baliman987 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I don’t mind it, still flips great.
    That lifetime guarantee though.

8. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

I’ve been abusing my 87 for over a year now with no issues.

Baliman987 likes this.
  9. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

A properly set tang pin will never fall out unless one end is ground off and driven out by a hammer and punch. Unfortunately most production balisongs and even some customs don't pay enough attention to the tang pin geometry. As a quick fix for a missing tang pin -replace with a roll pin.

10. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

loose tang pins are a very simple fix. Just put it in a vise and twist it a bit until it stops wiggling. If its really oblongated you may need to replace it. That is pretty easy too.