1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Taking 3/16" off of knife scales

gritsgear Nov 16, 2015

1. gritsgear

gritsgear Little member

A couple years ago I started a job doing carpentry and decided to glue up these scraps to make some knife scales for a Kershaw skyline. I had no idea what I was doing at the time and left them overly thick. Now I have the scales a little over 1/4" thick but only 5" long. Too small to run through a drum sander or planer.

Should I start over at this point or possibly try attaching them to another board and running them through the sander?

Any advice would be appreciated

Photos of scales - http://imgur.com/a/9UKeG

2. Digs FnK

Digs FnK Dig it, man Knife Maker or Craftsman

Option 1
    Glue or stick a piece of sandpaper to a flat surface and sand them down. This will take awhile but it's safe and you'll have good control.

Option 2
    Glue the wood to another block of wood, but use a weak glue and a piece of paper in between the two wood pieces. This will give you something to hold on to and a chance to split the scales off when done.

Option 3
    Drill the necessary holes in your scales (pivot screw, stand offs, etc) and attach a thin piece of wood to your scales. Note that the head of the screws must be on the 2nd wood side and not on your scales. Then grind your scales down (you will also be grinding the pointy end of the screws down). You'll have to be careful not to overheat the screws because the hot metal screws will burn your scales.

3. gritsgear

gritsgear Little member

I ended up doing something similar. I was about to make a jig and run a router over each scale but then, while attempting to press a divot hole for one of the screws I split one scale right on the inlay. So then I had to use the other scale to make both. I attached it to a piece of 3/4" and pushed it through the bandsaw. The screw holes have proven to be trouble. Here's what I have now.

http://imgur.com/a/glNpX

Digs FnK likes this.
  4. saflener

saflener Average member

That looks nice.