1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Tacstar Shotgun Conversion Kit, What Mossberg 500 Would This Work Best With ?

22MEANTXGUNS22 Aug 5, 2017

1. 22MEANTXGUNS22

22MEANTXGUNS22 Huge member

My friend and I have made the decision to hop off the 20 GA train and onto the 12 GA train due to the complete lack of add ons that are available for 20 GA. He wants the SPX, which is perfect just the way it is, but I wanted to take a shotgun and turn it into something more compact. I really like the idea of taking a standard shotty and turning it into what is pictured on the conversion kit by Tacstar, but I've heard different stories about how it all depends on the forestock of the weapon itself and how some can be removed and some can't. Embarrassing as it is to say, the clerks at Academy and Walmart, despite working in the gun department, didn't have any clear answers about this, so I thought I'd ask anyone who may have used these kits on their own shotguns instead. Any and all help would truly be appreciated, thanks guys.

2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Mossberg 500 is the Erector sets of shotguns . you literary can make any type of pump shotgun you want ,and you can buy anything you can immanage for the 500 shotgun to attach to . and you can't beat the prices . Something to think about .Good luck in your quest .

3. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

These days you can buy a Remington 870 for the same price as the Mossberg, and truthfully, they retain their worth better.
    No shotgun has more "add ons" then the 870.
    Nothing has more parts floating around.
    IMG_4801.JPG
    Here's one I built from parts.

4. KaOsBlAkBlAdE

KaOsBlAkBlAdE Huge member JDBA Official Member

If you're talking about the conversion kit that contains the stock, heat shield, side saddle and forend,...about all that's left is the barrel to consider. Either Remington or Mossberg should have an 18" tactical barrel, but knowing what you wanna use for ammo helps. No bird/buck shot through a fully rifled barrel. I also have to upvote the 870 over the 500 based on safety position alone. Mossberg safety switch on the receiver is stupid AF.

5. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

I agree! I damn near got shot in the leg while hunting a few years ago. A fellow was behind me, stepped in a hole, and as he fell, he hit the safety and trigger, and fired a round of 00 buckshot into the ground just a foot or so behind me!

Needless to say, I NEVER hunted with that fucker again!!

jimmyjo likes this.
  6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I come from Illion NY area Remington country every one works there or use to, the 870 is heavier and I like the safety on the receiver , I was born with a double barrel in my hand double trigger with the same type if safety , and their nice when you jump game . My 2 cents

7. KaOsBlAkBlAdE

I've seen similar instances on 3 separate occasions with mossy's. Not to mention that their actions feel like they're full of sand. I actually hate the way racking a mossy feels.

8. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

As a point of reference, I just saw this post on a local Indiana Forum, messaged him and will be picking it up later, we settled on $250.
    My thought is, search for the best deal... 2017-08-08 (2).png

9. KaOsBlAkBlAdE

Great find and KILLER price!

Mike Grasso likes this.
  10. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

Gun safety fail has nothing to do with position of the safety.

Mossbergs are fine and dandy, unless you want to tard it up with a pistol grip.

11. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

Might want to link to the Tacstar kit you are considering. The ones I have seen look like crap.