1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. ytsu12

ytsu12 Little member

"Custom" VS Production?

How is the flippability on the "custom" vs production? I saw some videos saying the "Custom" was perfect and see some things saying the production isnt that good and is not balanced well?

2. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

The tach 2 was 260 or 280 and made from Ti. The tach 3 is not that much less and made from aluminum.

The tach 2 at retail price was the best bang for buck flipper I've handled. YMMV.

Not sure if it was BladeHQ underestimating how much blood they could milk from the turnip or if it was honestly Microtech bringing a lot to the table for not too much but sadly I don't think we'll ever return to those days.

Think about all that the next time you see an AB drop that inevitably sells out rather fast and take note of the price:thumbsup:.

3. Gamblerbot

Gamblerbot Little member

Production trainer?

Ive always wanted a tach 3 trainer but all i can find are customs at a very high price point, have they ever made a production tach3 trainer?

4. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

yes its any standard production version with blue painters tape on the blade.

5. Apec

Apec The Sound of Darkness

Because there isn't any.

Overall Length:10.00"
    Blade Length:4.50"
    Cutting Edge:4.25"
    Blade Thickness:0.16"
    Blade Material:ELMAX
    Blade Style:Clip Point
    Blade Grind:Flat
    Finish:Stonewash
    Edge Type:Plain
    Handle Length:5.50"
    Handle Thickness:0.50"
    Handle Material:Aluminum
    Color:Black
    Weight:4.07 oz.
    User:Right Hand
    Pocket Clip:Tip-Up
    Knife Type:Butterfly
    Brand:Microtech
    Model:Tachyon III
    Model Number:173-10
    Country of Origin:USA
    Best Use:Collection
    Product Type:Knife

6. ytsu12

ytsu12 Little member

He is talking about the customs

Yes there is, the "Customs" are titanium, which is what he is talking about, I am pretty sure!

7. ytsu12

ytsu12 Little member

But anyone have info on this?

Can anyone here clarify the balance issues between the custom and production?

8. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Stallion Rooster JDBA Official Member

The titanium 'custom' has better balance.
    The aluminum is going to be a bit blade heavy.

Everyone has different preferences though. Some people prefer a more blade heavy balisong.

9. ytsu12

ytsu12 Little member

Thanks alot

Thanks for the help!

10. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm not doubting you, I just don't remember anyone actually saying they liked flipping a blade heavy knife...who has actually said that?? And if one of those people that do like blade heavy flippers read this please speak up.

Blade heavy knives are more more difficult to flip, IMO at least. Kinda hard to get one built like that to be consistently agile, and damn near impossible to Chaplin. In my experience a blade heavy Bali is shit to flip. Prime example is the original style Talisong ( Not the newest Talisong FL which is a top tier flipper ) even though it is a gorgeous and most excellent made balisong, it is so blade heavy I couldn't even do a flipping vid for it when I did the original review. ***Again to be clear to new flippers, the Talisong FL is one of the best flippers around and has bear perfect balance**

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  11. SA8TER21

SA8TER21 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'll agree on that. When trying to do a chapter with the production it would almost fly off and hit me in the face.

12. jjhamilton

Exactly

13. armedpootles

armedpootles JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

im liking the way it flips so far:bwah: not perfect but still fun

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  14. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

I almost always prefer a heavier butt or evenly balanced throughout bali for flipping. The ex10 is the oddball as it is blade heavy and flips great. Plus its nice to have a bali that flips good and yet doesn't feel like any other bali.

15. jjhamilton

Yoh think the GDOK is blade heavy!!!???? Put down the pipe bro, put it down!!!!

16. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm thinking the same thing. GDOK isn't blade heavy at all. It's got that weight just where it needs it. Junk in the trunk.

17. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Wrong!

Correct!

Yup!