1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. SlickLikeAGato

SlickLikeAGato JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm really liking the feel of this. The aluminum handles are pretty bendy/flexible. This thing really lives up to it's name; If you don't keep putting momentum into this you won't be having fun on a helix. The only thing I'm worried about is durability, especially with microtech's customer service.

2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm pretty sure wear and tear won't be covered under warranty if you're worried about the tang pin/ cup issue.:unintroduced:

3. Kn!ves

Kn!ves Little member

All the hate for the Tachyon III makes me kind if sad. They looked intersting and I was hoping this thread would give me an excuse buy one of the Marfione customs but it appears I'll just hold out for the next run of Alpha Beasts.

4. SA8TER21

SA8TER21 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

After buying the production. I loved how it felt in hand and how the pivots felt. So I ended up buying a "custom" off bladehq. The "custom" is a really really nice knife and flips really well. But you cant beat an Alpha Beast. Just snagged myself a venom off voodoo and my god is it a sexy knife. I wish I had the money when they dropped earlier this year so I could have gotten it from brs.

5. Gamblerbot

Gamblerbot Little member

I wonder, do the production tach 3s have a sharpened swedge? I heard it was just the customs

6. ENGRISH

ENGRISH JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Swedge is not sharpened on the prod tach3.

7. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

Are the handles holding up?

8. SA8TER21

Looking good so far. Haven't flipped it a ton or anything but there isn't really any indents in the cups from the tang pins.

9. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

Tach 3 handles maintaining stability due to shit-tier flipability: Confirmed :manganr::bwah:

10. SA8TER21

Yeah thats probably it but it will make a great EDC when I move to a state that will allow me to carry.

11. hannam72

hannam72 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

My opinion of the tach 3 is that it isn't a horrible flipper. It is extremely blade heavy with little weight in the backends of the handles. The bearings needed to be worn in a bit but after about a day it was super smooth. As far as durability I don't see it breaking from normal use or anything but if you abuse it I'm sure the aluminum will show it. I don't regret buying it, but it isn't a knife I'm looking to buy a second one of.

12. Silent Jay

To me, this literally translates to "It's complete garbage".

jjhamilton likes this.
  13. armedpootles

armedpootles JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

People thought the tach 2 was also very blade heavy with the stock spacers but it ended up being my best and favorite all around flipper. It all depends on the person

14. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Not that I recall. Don't think I've ever heard anyone mention that the T2 was blade heavy... not the Bowie anyway.

The complaints were from the al barrel spacers. That they could have been better with more weight but didn't nessecarily need it. That the screws stripped the al really easily.

15. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

dont forget the cheese grade ti handles:devilzeek

16. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Stallion Rooster JDBA Official Member

I've always wondered about this issue with the Tach 2.
    Was it because of the geometry of the tang pins, or was it inferior titanium (did Microtech lie about the ti being grade 5)?

Or could it have been normal wear and tear for the heavy beaters, since the Tach 2s have been released for quite some time now.

17. Silent Jay

From my understanding the Ti handles were softer than they should have been for the type of ti they were. also from a few people had talked to anodizing them worked differently because they didn't take color very well.

Then again, the Tach 3 doesn't take color well either. Actually handled one of the ti "customs" that was ano'd and it had started fading very quickly. Talking to the owner it wasn't the first time that had happened either.

Also, I don't remember anyone saying the Tach 2 was blade heavy at all....

Even me, who is a stickler for that shit thought it was neutral and that I would have just preferred a bit more swing to the back ends of the handles that the stock spacers didn't provide.

Shit, I would take a stock Tach 2 over a Tach 3 though.

18. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This is the same issues I remember about the T2, and I'll add it was actually a very good flipper IMO. Top 5 production at the time, & even holds a pretty high rank on my list to this day. To be fair and true to my distain of MT, I still wouldn't mind owning one....I'd just have to accept any issue with it would have to be dealt with by myself or someone with the ability.

19. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Stallion Rooster JDBA Official Member

Now that you mention it, bladehq doesn't specify what kind of titanium is used in the Tachyon 3...

20. armedpootles

armedpootles JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Agreed on that one