1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Swords, which one?

McGyver Jan 11, 2011

1. McGyver

McGyver Persistent Bastard

So since I've come to conclusion that Zombies are inevitable, and based on my research will most likely be here by fall, I have decided that I need a sword. Well, not necessarily a sword, but a really big somewhat long blade, suitable for decapitating the reanimated masses. I've narrowed down my choices to one of the following:

Swamprat Waki

CAS Hanwei Tactical Waki

Zombie Tools Apokatana

I'm pretty keen on the Swamprat, but it's sometimes hard to find and pretty pricey. And then I have to get a sheath made for one, since cardboard is hardly suitable for beheading the brain cravers, especially in the rain.

The CAS Hanwei is much more affordable, but I'm not sure of their quality. However, I could get two of them for less than either of my other options. And I can tac them out however I want with Micarta grips and Kydex sheaths.

The Apokatana looks good, but my main concern is that it only has a 7" handle, kind hard to get a two hand swing on that. Of course I would replace the P-cord with some Micarta scales.

So what say you all? Any other options I might have missed??

2. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Got a Cheness Kaze Katana for Christmas....not fancy, just a good, solid dojo/backyard cutting machine, made the old-school way, folded & hammered, differentially-tempered (clay method), so it has a real hamon. Looks like it would be quite efficient at head removal....

3. Tank Buster

Tank Buster Rattlehead Devil

Busse Battle Mistress!

The ultimate zombie killing knife. :bwah:

4. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

I'd like to have a BRKT Northwind.

Looks like it'd be a dandy zombie decapitator.

[​IMG]

They still occasionally come up for sale.

5. goldmanglass

goldmanglass COE 33

yeah i've heard the same research....I think a lot of people are going to look pretty damn stupid on May 22nd :bwah:

very cool knife but pretty heavy and cumbersome. Id go with a wakizashi. Not too crazy about any of those production ones....

Oh the BRKT Golok! real nice zombie chopper there. I believe Mike may be able to give more specific information as far as blade geometry/zombie consistency.

6. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

That's a Northwind, not a Golok.

( ~17" blade vs. ~11")

7. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

Swamp rat or Scrap Yard.

Both are available right now, AFAIK.

8. GlockNRolla

GlockNRolla Intergalactic Booty Hunter

Another option...

The Paul Chen Banshee. So then it's Banshee vs Zombie!! :devil1:

BANSHEE REVIEW

Bred in the jungles of Asia, our Banshee sword (SH2126) has its origins in the Thai “Krabi” and its close cousin, the Burmese “Dah.” Extremely strong and very quick, the Banshee is a cutting sword first and last, with a slightly weight-forward balance for slashing through jungle growth with ease. The high-carbon blade is heat treated for optimum shock absorption and edge retention, and the spiral-wrapped black leather grip provides excellent handling qualities. The sword comes equipped with a high-retention locking mechanism for safety. The wooden scabbard is finished in matte black, with side rings designed to allow a number of carrying options.

KEY FEATURES:
    High-carbon steel blade
    Leather handle wrap
    Excellent balance

MEASUREMENTS:
    Blade length: 21“
    Handle length: 11-1/2”
    Overall length: 32-1/2“
    Weight: 1lb 10oz
    Point of Balance: 4"
    Width at Guard: 1.2"
    Width at Tip: 1.4"
    Thickness at Guard: .28"
    Thickness at Tip: .21

Average retail price is $135

[​IMG]

[YOUTUBE]e3Og0D5_LYo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  9. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

If you have the money look into a Bugie katana. When the zombies rise your going to want a good piece of steel in your hands.:semper:

10. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

I'm going with a Dynasty Forge katana, a couple tomahawks, and a 12 gauge pump. These should take care of my zombie deanimation needs.

11. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

just an fyi;

it's not a folded steel blade but a monosteel 9260 blade.