1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for .38 special

culpeper Oct 4, 2009

1. Evamore

Evamore Huge member

Smith and Wesson 637 is what I carry for light unobtrusive days. I prefer a hammer for the option of single action.
    [​IMG]

2. woodstock

woodstock Huge member

The smiths are nice but if you're on a budget, look at Taurus. I've had a couple of their snubbies and have been pleased with them. Not too bad to shoot either, which surprised me. One of mine is the .357 model with ports on top of the barrel. I don't know if I'd recomend that as the flash coming out theses ports can be bright. Other than that, it goes to the range frequently and is a fine performer. :decisions

3. BARKER

BARKER knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have S&W 642 also. Can't go wrong with one.
    -John

4. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

TBG - I just ordered one of the Mika holsters, also a round cut. Thanks for the tip and link...:ssmile:

5. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

Your going to LOVE IT!!!

6. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Little member

It's all about how much money you want to spend.

7. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

Find one froma quality maker that fits your hand.

I like Ruger first because of the button cylinder latch and s&w's second.

8. burddogg

burddogg Huge member

Love the LCR. Has a weird rattle sound that is apparently part of the hammerless system (that's my only complaint). At 16 oz it's real nice

9. edosmar

edosmar Average member

Check the front sight, the dark ones are easier to see. Some older stainless J's have small same color sights that are hard to see if you have time to use them.

10. culpeper

culpeper Devil May Hare

All great suggestions and thanks much. Picked up a new local Smith & Wesson 442 for a descent price. Based on budget my first choice was the 642 but the price on the 442 was a deal I couldn't pass on. Means more ammo for me. The 342PD would be the best choice but out of my price range.

[​IMG]

11. WT351

WT351 Lone Star Moderator Super Moderator

Excellent choice! Now you need some Bianchi Speed Strips. Best way I have found to carry easily loadable rounds.

[​IMG]

12. Kura

Kura The Devil’s bloodline

I have two of the SW 442 hammerless great little pocket guns I carry one most of the time, bought them new at the gun show for $300 each.

I also still like my old SW model 60 and my Colt agent which holds six rounds.

I have a charter arms small 5 shot in black it's very lite and works well and cost under $200, in fact you should take a look at Charter Arms if it's just a carry gun as they cost less and still shoot the same.

13. Bruce

Bruce New Jersey's *other* Bruce

culpepper, anyone can tell you their personal favorites for shooting and carry but YOU'RE the one who has to live with it. Go to a couple of gunshops or ranges, see what is the most comfortable in your hand. Try opening and closing the cylinder quickly. Some are different than others in the way YOU can handle them. I myself have a bit of arthritis in my hands and it's easier for me to open a S&W than a Colt, even though Colt's are my favorite. If possible, see if there is a local range in your area that has guns to rent or try or see if there are some friends who'll let you fire their guns. Good luck!:bruce:

14. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

Congrats on a great score! Looks like a good one. I am after one for my wife soon. She wants one just like that with some pink Crimson Trace grips on it:ssmile: