1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Subjects you would like to see articles on!

Les Robertson Apr 15, 2011

1. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

Title says it all.

What area of custom knives would you devils like to see articles written on?

Your answers should be more than one word! :D

I don't write articles on any aspect of the making of custom knives...I leave that to the knife makers.

I don't write articles on photography...again I will leave that to the experts.

2. Pathos Incarnate

Pathos Incarnate Sickness Embodied

Folders and small knives have a strong following, and I've read a lot of articles on those.

I'd like to see an article detailing those makers who make big bowies or big knives of various sorts.

3. Les Robertson

Hi Pathos,

Specifics....Specifics.

Actually articles on makers would be addressed in the other thread!

Thanks for posting.

4. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Collecting. Trends. Future of custom knives. Technology and custom knifemaking.

5. Kura

Kura The Devil’s bloodline

Tips on what to look for when looking at custom knives when you don't know the maker. Part to value and also to understand what it is and how it was made

6. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I'd like to see some articles on embellishments on custom knives... when did it begin, how it's done, why is it done, was the type of embellishment thought about before the knife was actually made, etc.?

...engraving
    ...etching
    ...scrimshaw (regular, color, reverse scrim)
    ...carving
    ...filework

7. Les Robertson

Hi Benny,

Excellent ideas.

What aspects of collecting?

Trends...in what category?

Technology...I'll leave that to the experts.

8. Les Robertson

Hi Kura,

The first part of your suggestion can be found in the

"Custom Knife Buying Guide" by Les Robertson

The second part (as to how knives are made) there are numerous books on that as well.

I don't have the expertise to write articles on how knives are made.

9. Les Robertson

Hi Clydetz,

The history of embellishment...I'm sure that exists out there somewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't write an article on embellishment, for a couple of reasons:

1) I am no where near a subject matter expert on those.

2) I don't normally buy or sell knives that are embellished.

The reason is that embellishment for a lot of buyer is personal. Once you engrave or carve or scim a knife....you basically eliminate about 80% of the potential market.

I got so tired of hearing ....Oh its "vines" engraving or some other type of engraving...if only it had this type of engraving I would buy it.

Scrim was the worst. Oh a yellow lab....Scooter is a Black Lab...if it had a black Lab I would buy the knife.

Etc......

The other negative aspect is that you may have to wait 6 months or longer to get the knife engraved or scrimmed. Tack that on to the 6 months or longer to get the knife.

Oh, and by the way you have paid for the knife....now you are waiting to pay the engraver....

That being said, if you know of an engraver or scrimshander I'm sure they would be able to do an excellent article on that for a magazine.

10. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Collecting- What makes a knife collectable or what are some do's and dont's that are common.

Trends- Basically how the cycle of folders vs fixed blade, forged vs stock removal, damascus vs uber new stainless steel etc has waxed and waned and maybe what you think is coming up.

Technology- Do you think technology effects collecting? Is it allowing non knife people to make knives :bwah:?

11. Les Robertson

Hi Benny,

Probably the "Cyle" idea would be best. As you know collecting is a very personal thing for most people....which is why so many ugly knives are made and bought! LOL

Think of all the knives with Mokume, Jigged Bone, Giraffe Bone (especially when it is infused with Dye...like Pink and Purple...Love it!, Camel Bone...and now yes...Zebra Bone!

Technology does affect collectors...both in a positive and negative way.

The negativity generally comes from the makers who either cannot afford and/or do not know how to use the new machines.

Back in the late 90's there was a big uprising in the knife makers guild with regard to Laser cutting, Water Jet Cutting and Wire cutting parts. Then the big bad troll under the bridge...the CNC Machine.

The tactical folders were cutting into (or were perceived) to be cutting into the sales of the better known traditional folder makers. As such instead of incorporating the new technology it was easier just to vilify the makers who were using it.

The result.....the Blade Show is the largest and most well attended custom knife show in the World and the Guild show (while starting to make a come back) is more of a really really nice regional show.

I think what many makers lose sight of is that makers don't buy knives. If you don't give the consumer what they want...they will find it elsewhere.

For those of you who weren't around 15 -20 years ago. There was a time when the Guild Show was the premier custom knife show in the world. IN excess of 400 table of custom knife makers and much larger than the Blade Show.

I think if someone is making a knife (even if they use a lot of technology) they are still called knife makers! :D

I direct your attention to the factory knife world! What percentage of those employed could actually make a knife from beginning to end. I suspect that number is very low!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  12. Carson

Carson Rust Wizard Brigade Member

I'm curious about people's "pimping" of knives.. Can it add appreciable value to a custom knife? Do makers get upset when somebody takes a file to their completed piece or is it a matter of "I sold it, so its theirs now"?

What kind of work can be done before its considered another person's work and not the original anymore? (I proffer Tom Krein's regrinds and Frrrk scales as examples) Is it generally viewed as a negative or can it be a plus? *edit* Rather, can there ever be enough modification to a knife that it is not considered the original anymore?

13. Les Robertson

Hi Carson,

"pimping" gets into a very small niche.

Most custom knife makers will not work on another makers knife.

Most custom knife makers don't like other makers working on their knives. Primarily because if something goes wrong with it they want to send it back to the original maker. But once you own it you can do whatever you like to it....just don't expect the original maker to work on the knife again.

If Tom re-grinds someone's knife...the warranty is voided and it is no longer considered a custom knife from that maker.

If I wanted knives from Tom...I would just buy Tom's knives.

For most custom knife buyers "pimping" would be a negative.

I think this is more of a "forumite" thing than a custom knife thing.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a "pimped" knife nor would I buy one. But that is just me.

14. Carson

Carson Rust Wizard Brigade Member

I appreciate the input. I'm not a fan of it so much either, but its a question I was thinking about for the last week and when I saw your thread, I figured I'd ask. I subscribed to Blade Mag about a month ago as a result of this forum, by the way. Good stuff.

Tom put his re-grinding efforts on hold some time ago to focus on just making his own knives from what I understand.

For myself, I haven't yet made the leap to buying much in the way of custom knives. I mostly play with Benchmade stuff, but I've been looking outward to knives in the $400 range recently. Maybe one of these days I'll get there!

15. Les Robertson

Hi Carson,

Tom is a very talented maker in his own right. Im glad to hear he is focusing on his knives.

The first knife I can remember buying was a Buck 110...price was right around $20.

Most every custom knife collector starts with factory knives and then moves into custom knives.

I always liked knives...but I didn't really get bit by the "collecting" bug until I started buying custom knives.

16. blade viking

blade viking Huge member

I would like to see a different top of the line knife collector of witch I know there are many focused on each month.What they collect who they collect, what got them started .

17. Les Robertson

HI BV,

Did you have a collector in mind?

Often times collectors don't want the exposure.

18. blade viking

blade viking Huge member

Phil Lobred,Pierluigi Peroni, Lewis Chow ,Kevin Jones or Jhonson I think its Jones. The Guy who collects all those Buck knives. I'm also interested in makers with collections. I think this stuff would be very intreging to a lot of people. I am very interested in colaberations also. I think that could make a couple articles. But what do I know!!

19. Les Robertson

Hi BV,

Most of those listed have had articles. Especially Phil Lobred.

Actually two guys came to mind...Don Guild and Walter Hoffman....maybe even Ed Wormser.

The guy who collects the Buck knives? Sorry I don't do factory. :D

20. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member