1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Stupidly Tight Ultratech Spring Question

WHY Factor Aug 26, 2015

1. WHY Factor

WHY Factor Average member

So I just got my second Ultratech. My first one was a 2012 that had a bit of a stiff action, but nothing too horrible. This one's a 2014, and while I'm super happy to have one back in my collection it is literally impossible to close with one hand and opening it more than 10-15 times in a day makes my thumb bleed. If this is just a break in period I don't know if my damn hand can take it.

I have no idea what to do to loosen up the action. I don't have the damn $30 bit to open the knife, and while I could probably make one pretty easily I'm not confident anything I make could properly tighten the screws. Even if I did I don't know how much relubing everything would do to help the action, and I don't want to physically stretch out the spring and screw it up completely

Any advice? I really don't want to resell this one because I absolutely lose everything else about it, but I got it to edc, and it's completely useless to me as is. I thought my old one was tight but this makes it feel like it was completely effortless in hindsight.

I've heard horror stories about Microtech's customer service, but I've never actually had any experience with them. Are they worth contacting?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  2. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

send in a picture of your arm. if you are a pussy microtechs are hard to open. i'm no muscle hulk by any means but i don't struggle with any microtech. sorry to be a cock but seriously its a little slide button just push it.

3. WHY Factor

No offense taken man. That's exactly what I was thinking myself when I read about the action on some of the newer ones being ridiculous. I might actually give you a few sexy shots in a bit when I'm back home but just trust me when I say that it's not a strength issue. In the words of an old wise man, "I lift, bro"

4. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have a fairly new Ultratech and its pretty hard to close as well. Opens just fine tho.

5. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This comes up time to time. I'll say my UT (2012) was easy and gradually became harder until it "broke". Or well quite working, and now the button doesn't move at all. Wish I could have it fixed, but do to microtechs policy I'm kinda stuck with a broke OTF.....

6. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

A single tiny drop of RemOil under the slider.

It'll get easier as your thumb and technique gets stronger/better.

Just don't oil the innards...

7. knifepuppet

knifepuppet Brigade Member Brigade Member

Send it in and wait.

8. WHY Factor

Will try.

9. WHY Factor

Can I send an OTF directly to Microtech? Do they actually address problems like this or will they just tell me to keep trying and hope it loosens?

10. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Sending it in is no problem, getting it back is the trick...read the requirements for returning knives. Must be military/police/EMS for direct return

11. D2AP

D2AP Better than gold or platinum

First OTF I had from Microtech felt impossible. Turns out I had pussy thumbs. After some practice your technique gets better and your thumbs get a bit stronger. Just keep messing with it.

blaPsplaT likes this.
  12. apdallaround

my first reply seems harsh. it was the alcohol talking. it'll get easier as your fingers get a bit stronger and springs break in just from use. give it time and some lube.

13. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

One can maybe (probably even) get BladeHQ (or another authorized dealer) to take receipt of it from MT, then remail it to you, all for the price of postage and good manners on your part.

jjhamilton likes this.
  14. WHY Factor

Those guys have never given me a reason to be anything but thankful. Just had to work with them today and they had all of my issues sorted out before their business hours had even started.

Might shoot them an email to see what they can do for me (honestly I don't care if they charge for middlemanning, but all the better if they don't), but I'm going to give it another week or two first to see if the rem-oil On the switch and general use will help first.

15. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

My scarab must have a 40-50 lb test on the closing action. It's honestly so ridiculously difficult to close (read: impossible), there is no human on earth who can retract in twice in a row using their thumb, we just don't have the leverage!

To close with minimal aggravation/injury/effort, try this:

After firing open, I rotate my MT OTF 180 degrees (so the button is facing away from me), then use my index finger to pull the button down and engage the closing action. Your trigger finger, being longer and in a better position than your thumb, can use the added leverage of the first and second joints (while your thumb can only use the top joint), plus you end up pushing down with you thumb, as opposed to a pulling action with your trigger/index finger.

Physics wins again!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  16. tnhawk

tnhawk Little member

I've had the same experience with my Ultratech. If it were easier to close it would be a nice knife.

17. Corey

Corey Little member

My Ultratech is junk as well. It started out working fine for the first couple weeks. I think I only carried the thing twice and then I started having problems getting the blade to retract. If I tried to open and close it twice in a row it would take both hands and quite a bit of force to retract it, sometimes I would even have to put the slider up against the edge of a table and push with both hands to get it back in.

After a couple weeks it got even worse and started misfiring half the time. Now it misfires every time, both coming out and going in.

I took it apart just to see if it had somehow gotten dirty from the 2 times I had carried the damn thing...Not a spec of dirt in it, and still had sufficient grease from the factory. Put it back together...no difference....took it back apart and drenched it with oil to try and loosen it up....still junk. That will be my only Microtech purchase.

18. apdallaround

send it to microtech for warranty work:unintroduced:

19. Snapper

Snapper President of the 51st state! Brigade Member

Stop oiling your Ultratech.

20. Corey

Corey Little member

If I had a dealer close by that could handle that for me, I MIGHT would give them a try. However, they have a poor reputation in that regard.

Care to elaborate? As I said, the knife had already become 100% non functional before I ever took it apart or put a drop of oil on it. If there is a specific reason that they should not be oiled, enlighten me. But that is not the initial cause of this knife becoming a piece of garbage.

Edit: NVM, I figured it out...if too much oil gets into tight places it causes resistance which leads to the locking tabs not engaging at the proper time. Took it apart and cleaned ALL the oil out and it's back in action.

Back on topic...the thumb slider still takes a ridiculous 50 lbs. of force to retract the blade.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015