1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid Sattelite!

Rozz Jul 21, 2006

1. Rozz

Rozz piss and vinegar Lady Devil

I have Dish Network, & everytime it lightning & thunders out, my Mother lovin' dish goes out! I hate this shit!

:pumpkin: :pumpkin: :pumpkin: :eekfinger :thumbdown :honcho: :FU: :loandr: :pugalist: :bash: :ram: :hairpull:

2. Rozz

Oh yeah. Thats great. I just lost computer connection for a sec. Not electricity, but comp. conn. What the Fuck!

grrrrrrr.........:cry:

3. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

You still have your cats to play with.

4. bart-1

bart-1 6th degree black belt/internet fighting discipline Knife Maker or Craftsman

How very interesting. I hope it all works out for you. I had a neighbors brother in laws Mom complaining about the exact same thing. Yes as said, you still have your cats!

5. Rozz

Well, thank you Bart 1, for your deepest concern. I appreciate it.

6. TKC

TKC Earthbound misfit Lady Devil

That is EXACTLY why we will NEVER get the Dish!! We have a friend who had it in, and when it got windy or stormy, it was all gone bye-bye. I am sorry that you are having isssues!!

7. Kalooch135

Kalooch135 Fireman Ken

Optimum Online rules!!! :wes:

8. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

Whats all this dish thingy then?

I use 8meg DSL

9. Rozz

the Dish is a mini sattelite dish that goe on top of of your roof to get cable telelvision. Do you have them there?

I use DSL for my computer conn.

10. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Is this mini sattelite dish operated by mini aliens? I've seen several of these objects on roofs in the neighborhood but no one seems to know how they got there?

11. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

I have SKY tv, it is sat tv.

I do notice that when its really windy or wet, the picture tends to degrade and the unit will loose a signal from time to time.

However, when there is a thunderstorm, I pull all the plugs and sit in the dark/light watching the storm and breathing easy as it clears the air.

12. dee

dee dee-lightful Lady Devil

Yes, definitely. And they run lines from their on-board computers into your television sets. While you sit there in front of the tv they watch you!

13. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

Yep, we got the dish, but just for tv. Ours is at ground level, and only goes out if we get a bad thunderstorm. Its my wifes gig, as I am to cheap to pay for tv. Most days, I'd put an arrow through the one eyed monster, just to watch it die....:peter:

14. xrayzebra

xrayzebra whirling dervish

I've got Directv for both tv and internet. The tv goes out in a severe storm, but not for very long. THe internet goes out longer, because the uplink part of the signal is much weaker than the reception mode.

If yours goes out at the least bit of weather, it may not be tweaked to quite the maximum signal, and it may be more sensitive than it has to be.

Since I don't have Dishnetwork, I can't help you much - but I'll bet that if you search thru the various menus, it will have a signal strength meter some where. Find it and check signal strength on a good clear day. If it is below 70%, you might be able to improve it with some subtle twisting and raising/lowering of the dish. If the singal is below 50%, you can certainly tweak it up better. You want to do this in very fine increments, though, and be sure to mark the original positition real well, so you know where to put it back to if it does not improve things.

I have to re-tweak my internet dish twice a year. It's mounted on a wooden pole, and the pole warps a little at the change of seasons, requiring a re-aiming of the dish.

If you get the ball and chain up on the roof to move it, you'll need to watch the singal strength and talk to him on the phone or by walkie talkies to tell him when it gets better and worse... it's a trial and error thing... and it woudl be a real bitch to have to tweak it a little then run down the ladder to see how it's working! :)

15. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Disclaimer:
    The above description was provided by an experienced geek - Ladies - if your dish is hard to access (god forbid on the roof!) and if you or your spouse has had more than 1/2 pint - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ...! Having been party to 'the procedure' a few times, my advice is - unless you live in Geek Heaven - (may the goddess bless Xray forever) call for company service the first time the dish needs adjustment - and watch closely. The tolerance is minute and if you loosen that bad boy and breathe heavily, it will NOT resume the position. Trying to get it right and tightening it into the exact position for optimal reception (or any reception at all) is not for newbies, and will be an incredibally frustrating experience.

This message has been brought to you by the Dick Council on Good Marital Recept, uh Relations.
    :devilzide

16. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

My in-laws have a dish and it sucks in bad weather....F that, we have cable...or actually my cable company owns my soul...we use them for super deluxe IO-HD cable package, Optimum Online, and our phone (VOIP)..it is all very reliable over the last few years....I probably just jinxed it :bwah:

17. wes

Ron would do an awesome job of fixing the dish, Roslin. Put him up there today. He has much experience holding the pole.

In all, adjusting a dish is pretty easy once you have the pole it attaches to completely level. Once you do, a compass and some common sense are all you need.

18. bart-1

bart-1 6th degree black belt/internet fighting discipline Knife Maker or Craftsman

Just tell Ron there is some food on a dish on the roof!

19. wes

Put some cat food, too, so he has he feline army with him.

20. Bob85

Bob85 Little member

damn that sucks. im using DSL here. only whacks out sometimes