1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

"Stupid Questions" and How'd they do that?

Mark Terrell Mar 31, 2008

1. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

Outside the steel stack all around the exposed edges.

2. ssunfish

ssunfish Huge member

Hi Devilz! I want to take a single solid block of micarta or dymondwood and exactly make the slot in it for a hidden tang so I can grind the handle with a flat full tang like feel and look. What is the process and tools? I always just keep twisting it on my drill press with an oversized bit. I saw on Bob Dozier's website that on his hidden tang knives the slot in the micata or other handle is just enough to accept the tang. Do any of you know a great way to slip a four or five inch block exactly over a knife tang? Thanks!--Joe

3. J. Neilson

I had a how-to article in the August 2008 issue of Knives Illustrated on just that Ssunfish. if you can't find a copy, let me know and I'll mail you one. I don't know if your allowed to scan and post mag. articles?

4. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

You are not.

It is a copyright violation.

Best to mail it to him.

Mike

5. J. Neilson

Yeah, that's what I thought Mike, thanks.

6. ssunfish

ssunfish Huge member

Really? An article for that oh my heavens! That's sounds great. I need to see if it's possible to get back issues so I can read it in a way that supports them for paying you to write it, but I do want to know. Thanks for the fast replies Devilz---Joe

7. RAGUEL3

RAGUEL3 Huge member

ssunfish- you can get a decade of blade on DVD, its exact page for page of every issue.

8. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

I may get a prize for the dumbest question, but here goes:

What are salt pots and what are they used for? :deviltard:

9. Leatherface

Leatherface leatherface Knife Maker or Craftsman

heat treating

10. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

Gotcha, are they just used to heat the blade up?

11. Larry Chew

Larry Chew Baron Automatic Knife Maker or Craftsman

Heat treating in molten salt. The salt provides a protective atmosphere. Hey, you have the "R" rated version of that video!!

12. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

Ahhh, thanks Baron. Been wondering about that for a while. I had thought it might have been for coloring(bluing) blades. :devil1:

13. RAGUEL3

RAGUEL3 Huge member

Different setup and chemical makeup for bluing bud, but same principles really, boiling it in bluing salts.

14. Richard

Richard Little member

I can't tell y'all how much this thread has just helped me in getting started... Thank you all...

15. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

Got a new one........ how are "jeweled" finishes done?

16. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

hundreds of different ways..generally, knife makers use a drill press for the motion. To make the marks, they may use a craytext tip or other rubberized abrasive tip. I've also seen pencils (eraser down) chucked up in a drill press with abrasive compound used. It works, I've done it. I've also used small dremmel wire brushes although they tend to spread out with use. I mostly prefer a craytext tip.

In practice nearly anything in a drill press will make small circular swirl marks. You put the piece down, bring the drill press with what ever you have chucked up in it and touch it to the surface lightly. Lift the chuck, move 1 diameter to the left and repeat.

Norcalflat likes this.
  17. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

18. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

So basically, its done with a drill press, a certain bit, and more patience than Im capable of :cheesydevil:

Thanks guys, Ive been wondering about that and havent been able to find any info on it. Good ol Devilz!

19. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

...and a "jeweled" finish may look like this...

[​IMG]

20. RyanA

RyanA El Burro Diabolico

On custom knives that are engraved with anodizing in the engraved sections. How is this done? My guess it that it is engraved anodized and then a layer is removed off the top. Or do they mask it somehow, so that only certain areas come in contact with the treatment? Or something I'm not thinking of?