1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

"Stupid Questions" and How'd they do that?

Mark Terrell Mar 31, 2008

1. Mark Terrell

Mark Terrell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

So what questions do you have, but are kind of embarrassed to ask? Or things that you'd always wanted to know, but just don't....

I can't think of the questions I've got, but they'll come to me, and I'll post em' here. I'm sure between all the makers on here, we can solve all the world's problems.

For example, I had a maker (who hadn't been making very long) ask me once, "so you don't edge the blade into the buffing wheel, right???" Seems stupid, but he honestly didn't know and it a pretty important thing to know so you live longer than a few days in the shop.....

MT

RNST likes this.
  2. Tom v S

Tom v S Dutch Devil

I will start here,

I have a nice piece of Stag, do you just use it like normal stuff (micarta...) or do I need to treat it with something? Drying it? Oiling it? I don't know, maybe some of you do...:devilzide

3. bigmark408

bigmark408 BANNED Fucktard

How is Scrimshaw done ? Details please.

4. johlvlvy

johlvlvy Huge member

How do you make serrations?

5. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Ahhh good topic, Mark! I would like to see a blade diagram and all the *correct terminology* as well as phonetic pronunciations if possible ( ask J Neilson, I probably do his head in with this stuff)

6. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

lots of different opinions. Mine is you don't have to do anything and it last thousands of years. Mammoth ivory is proof of that. Some will say rub it occasionally with mineral oil to keep it from drying out. It's already dry. Some will tell you to treat it with pertassium permanganate to dye it dark. This just turns it purple and gives it an unnatural color. Drill it with a sharp drill bit. Grind it when no one else is home, it smells to high hell. If you really, really want to dye it darker, use leather dye and boil it a little to get it to soak in.

Mark Terrell likes this.
  7. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Mark,

It is actually the same as Tattooing.

It has used the same tools.

When Tattoos were done only with fine--thin--blades and pointed needles--So was Scrimshaw.

Now that Tattoos are done with hand held Auto needles--so is Scrimshaw.

They have a direct parallel.

Early Scrimshanders were Sailors--Same as Early Tattoo Artists.

The Two Arts are directly related in that Regard.

Mike

Mark Terrell and ded i like this.
  8. Mike Stewart

I do re-dye my Stag all the time if it needs it and I do use potassium Permanganate.

so do all of the Stag importers.

Once the Stag is on the knife you can then touch it up with leather Dye to give it a more Rich Color.

All Sambar Stag is Dyed by the importers.

Most don't admit it but it is all dyed.

The Purple Color Turns into that Deep Brown color on Sambar.

On Whitetail--it only works well on the Crowns.

On the rest of the Antler and on Elk--it stays the Purple Color that Tracy was talking about.

After a knife is finished you can apply mineral oil to it once a year if you want to.

I also use Moose paddle and I have used both the Leather Dye and the Potassium Permanganate Successfully.

Mike

9. Mike Stewart

Commercial serrations are done on a Automatic Serrator.

You determine the Serration Pattern you want on the knife and then have a Diamond Ridged Cutter made to that Exact Pattern.

You then push the knife blade up against the rotating cutter and the Serrations are set in.

I have also seen it done with a set of Stacked Cratex Cutting Wheels in a Fixture.

Doing it Your self can be done a number of Ways.

A Dremmel tool with a rounded Wheel or a Carbide Round Cutter.

you can also use a Round Diamond file.

I have seen it also done with a Die Grinder.

Mike

10. Tom v S

Tom v S Dutch Devil

Thanks guys! Great thread, it are these small questions that make a lot of difference when you are doing stuff for the first time.

11. EmeraldDog

EmeraldDog E.D. does not necessarily mean erectile dysfunctio

Is Brazilian cherry an acceptable scale material over the long haul?

12. dfarmerknives

dfarmerknives Tattoo Man says Knife Maker or Craftsman

yep. It is also called jatoba. I love using it. I have had no trouble with it, but I have only been making a few years. Some of the "old dogs" may have a different view.

13. johlvlvy

johlvlvy Huge member

What are liner materials made of?
    It looks like construction paper to me..

14. SZiehr

SZiehr Better than gold or platinum

I have a few questions...

What's the right way to care for a handle made of leather washers?

What do you use to dye bone?

15. tmik

It's called Vulcanized Fiber or the industry nickname is Fish Paper. It was/is used in the electrical industry as an insulator. It has some other uses also. I guess Loveless really made it popular with his signature red liner. It comes most commonly for knife makers in .015" or .030" but it can be made in nearly any thickness you want if you order enough from a manufacture. The thinner stuff is well...thin and not all that obvious on a knife. Most of the liners I see are .030" thick or 2 of the thinner ones stacked together.

(blatant plug coming here:) I am in the process of adding that to my assortment and hope to have it online in a couple weeks.

16. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

you know mickley, you keep doin crap like that and im just gonna hafta link my checking account to yours, or something.....

:ross::ross::signhere::bwah:

17. Mike Stewart

Tracy,

If You stock it I'll get mine from You too.

I use:

.060 Black
    .030 Black
    .030 Brick Red
    .030 Bright Red
    .030 Blue
    .030 Green
    .015 Yellow
    .030 White

I use a lot of it.

Mike

18. dfarmerknives

dfarmerknives Tattoo Man says Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've been wanting to start using liners. Tracy......more business....

19. tmik

I am working on getting exactly those colors in 100' rolls so I can cut them to what I want. (12" wide)
    Still getting my quotes but should have it in a couple weeks.

20. Mike Stewart

Mr. Tracy--let me know the minute you get it in.

I'll give you my order as soon as you are ready.