1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Strider AR (modified) Sign-up

MadDaddy Mar 6, 2008

1. Andy'sLeatherHouse

Andy'sLeatherHouse Formerly Breschini Knife Maker or Craftsman

thanks for the pics OilMan...i just got an EdgePro Apex and have not even used it yet....im gonna copy your setup and go to town.................................so much to do .....so little time-leather, sharpening, working, i need 28 hours in the day!
    Andy

2. OilMan

OilMan Jaded Brigade Member

Make sure you pick up a ghey pan like I've got mine sitting in. Makes clean-up a lot easier.:chuck: I only really use the 120 and 220 grit stones in mine and have gone through a couple 120s by now. Reprofiled 4 or 5 knives this weekend for some reason.:thumbsup:

3. Andy'sLeatherHouse

Andy'sLeatherHouse Formerly Breschini Knife Maker or Craftsman

my kit came with 180 and 220...my buddy who sold it to me told me to watch the video....did it help you become familiar with it?

sorry ..... back to the Strider............................i can start a new thread in the right spot.

4. OilMan

Video sucked IIRC. The guy was sharpening stuff real fast and I bought it for reprofiling work, real slow. The Sharpmaker vid was better. IIRC anywho.

And I used an Edgepro on the AR so it's half assed related.:ssmile:

5. OilMan

AR just went back out, I'm hoping to the correct person. (Andrew Franklin) Should be there in a day or two.

Here's the tracking info:

Let keep that from the publics prying eye's

thanks,

g

6. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

Hi guys!!!

The modified AR arrived today!

I really like the way the handle feels on this knife!!!!!

I'll put it through its paces this weekend and post my thoughts and maybe some pictures.

Andy

P.S. Nice edge, OILMAN. I have an EdgePro Professional myself and love it!!!!!

7. droid

Okay guys, here's my take and several pictures.

1.) I REALLY like the grip on this knife. It's very easy to use with gloves on. Blade lockup is excellent.

2.) I'm not really thrilled about the blade shape. For piercing, it feels as if the tip will snap off. For slash type cuts, I prefer more belly below the tip. I DID NOT do any "baton" type cuts since this is NOT my knife.

3.) The cutting action in the middle and back of the blade was quite good. The blade will hold an edge but the stuff I was cutting dulled it up in places.

The next few posts are a few pictures of using the knife around my 3 acres in south Texas.
    Bamboo, banana trees, nasty briars and tough vines growing up a couple of trees. It was 93 degrees and 98+% humidity. I was soaked by the time I was done but I feel the knife performed quite well overall.

First picture: Vines crawling up a tree. Did a nice job of cutting them down near the roots.

8. droid

Here's a couple pictures of cutting some bamboo in one of the thickets i have.

9. droid

Yet another picture of cutting through some nasty ass briar so I could mow near the fenceline without getting tangled up in it!!!!! Really had to choke up on the blade here!!!

And no, the blade did not touch the wire!!!!!!

10. droid

A before and after shot of a dead banana tree!!!!!! Well, maybe not completely dead, but I think it is now!!! :cheesydevil:

11. droid

I just HAD to add this shot.

Yes, I resisted the urge to further test the blade by skinning this unauthorized onlooker!!!!!!

12. droid

So there you have it!!!! I have cleaned the knife up and oiled it. I will sharpen it tomorrow and get it mailed out to tmickley so he can get a grip on this modified AR!!! :madaddy:

Andy

13. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

cool, you don't need to sharpen it though, i can touch it up in a just a couple minutes on the grinder...

14. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

Thanks for the pics/review and update.

15. droid

The knife is on it's way to you, Tracy!!!!!

Priority Mail
    Delivery Confirmation
    Insured for $400

They say it should be there by Wednesday. However, this is the USPS we're talking here!!!! :jdwink2:

Andy

P.S. Since you told me not to worry about it, I didn't sharpen it.

16. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

got it and it's heading home tomorrow since I'm the last one.
    my first impression is how massive it is. The lock up is good and no blade wobble. I was more interested in the construction than anything and it's built like a tank. I wonder what metal the liners are made of - any one know? It looks like a 300 series stainless?

17. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

The liners are Ti as far as I know. They are a lighter shade than they they usually look from the Strider shop due to the modifications done to this AR.

18. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

Sorry folks, I forgot to post that the AR is back with me safe and sound.

Thank you to everyone that participated in the pass. Thanks to Mickley for the super sharp polished convex edge. And of course a Big Thanks to Greg for letting us all play with this very nice AR in the first place.

Patrick

19. OilMan

AR showed up today safe and sound. Hardly looks used even.:ross: Hope you guys liked playing with it and thanks to Patrick for taking care of the logistics of the passaround.

thanks,

Greg