1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Stick Fighting - Kali, Eskrima, Balintawak

KaliKid Sep 5, 2016

1. KaliKid

KaliKid Brigade Member Brigade Member

I love it. But are there any others here into it? I also want to know your thoughts on utilization and deployment in the real world. Now, I know we all love sharp and pointy, but do you see this as a go to where ever you are?

Lastly, I did a search and found some old posts talking about tactical/custom Eskrima sticks. Is there anyone still making these or anyone know of a dealer who may sell some? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Jimi likes this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

All of my life I've been into "blunt" objects. While not formally trained in any of the practices you list. A stiff stick can do wonders . :ropeman: (perves) :bwah:

Implementing many an object into weapon could be a last resort, from a mop handle to an umbrella.

I've crafted a slew of "knucks" over the past few years. :madaddy:

And this little pocket spike was one of the first projects off my new lathe.

[​IMG]

jimmyjo and Jimi like this.
  3. KaliKid

Hey Glenn, that is an awesome piece of work there. You are absolutely correct about using any blunt object when in need. I have seen your work in other threads and you are an expert at your craft! I would be interested to see if you did some "pimping" to some sticks. That would be awesome! :)

4. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Always cool to meet another practitioner! I have only a passing familiarity with Balintawak, but know a few guys who train it regularly. I've been training kali for just over 7 years now. Started with Inasanto blend and more recently Dog Brothers stick fighting. Right now though I'm primarily training Pekiti Tersia Kali and a style associated with the Filipino Marines called Tactical Combat Kali.

Glenn, I would certainly not want to be on the receiving end of a shot from that pocket spike. I've been cut in martial arts training and flipping balis, but the thought of a puncture wound from the business end of that thing makes my skin crawl. Well done as always :thumbsup:

5. KaliKid

Hey Brother!! that's awesome! Yes, us Balintawak people are spread out, but it is growing in the Southeast. I have seen some of the Tactical Combat Kali and it is awesome!! Keep on keeping on and please share your thoughts. I am always open to hearing what others have to say. Thank you! :)

6. 22MEANTXGUNS22

22MEANTXGUNS22 Huge member

I am not a real practitioner of any particular art, but I dabble in various drills/katas involving sticks/clubs/bo and jo staffs. Truth be told I simply study videos done by people better versed in these arts and try and mimic what I see as means of exercise (Youtuber wmpyr is a personal favorite of mine and regularly posts various drills and strike patterns you can do yourself). I stopped doing this due to taking up a second job some time ago, but intend to get back into it. Working two jobs has taken it's toll on me but I feel confident that once I get back into it I can get back to where I was about a year ago.

As for real world deployment, I personally like the idea of self defense canes. Though people's opinions can vary on these matters, I feel these are a cut above other impact weapons since they are relatively unobtrusive and can be carried anywhere. I collect self defense canes and hiking staffs but have yet to really delve into cane fighting tactics, save for a few videos I have seen about shillelagh fighting. I suppose if and when I get back into doing various two stick drills and katas I can look into this as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
    KaliKid likes this.
  7. KaliKid

I have dabbled with the cane and I will have to agree with you, it is no joke!! Especially since it can fly well under the radar, man in the right hands, it is a force to be reckoned with! Hopefully, you do get the time to get back into it. The book about Sinawali is a good reference as well for stick drills. :)

8. KaliSong

We had a form for cane back when I was more active in practicing Hapkido. Mostly it was used like a longer kali stick, or like a hanbo in the thirds position. The crook/hook also made for some very interesting specialty tactics. Not sure if that is the kind of fighting cane you are talking about though. I know there was a style of walking cane used in Europe back in the day that has some history with western martial arts as well.

If you are looking for good online videos to learn from, check out Kali Center on YouTube. They have an online school that is behind a paywall on their website, but also tons of videos and tutorials for free on YouTube.

9. KaliKid

Thank you for the heads up on the videos. I am always looking for fresh content to review. As for the cane, we messed around with the regular walking cane and man, I was impressed by how in-depth you can go with it. But what some folks may not know, just because you dont use a cane, you can still use a tradition umbrella and get the same effect. As long as the umbrella is sturdy. I recall a company making the unbreakable umbrella. Have to find the link for it.

10. KaliSong

Let me know what you think of those videos once you get to watch a few. Sometimes they get a little silly/ham it up a little on the free content (that's kind of their fun/publicity stuff), but I've trained with them in person and they are very legit.

11. 22MEANTXGUNS22

22MEANTXGUNS22 Huge member

I have been studying fighting forms that correspond with the walking sticks I collect. Since I have all of Cold Steel's Walking Sticks, I try and research the real sticks they are based on. The two that I have the most interest in are Knobkerrie fighting and the Shillelagh bata. They are no non sense, quite practical, and versatile as you can use these fighting forms with just about any cane that has a sturdy shaft and weighty enough knob.

So far the one I like the most from my collection is the Ten Shin. It has the properties of a short staff, bokken, and long handled war club. Sounds interesting to have a three in one kind of weapon, but to be well versed in it sounds like something for like advanced learners so I might just stick to using it to get around for now, hehe.

12. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

You may want to look for books by Bruce Tegner if you haven't already.

They are hard to find and usually not cheap but there's a lot of practical info in them.

13. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

14. KaliKid

For those interested in stick fighting, just want to gauge who might be interested in custom made Eskrima sticks? I have reached out to someone and waiting on an answer, but wondered if this is something folks may be interested in. Maybe a composite stick, I don't know. But there aren't many custom ones out there.

Jimi likes this.
  15. KaliSong

I guess it would depend on what direction you go and how much it would cost. I wouldn't totally rule it out, but I burn through sticks pretty fast and spending a lot of money on one would be a tough sell for me. If you decide to pursue it further keep me posted and I'll let you know if anything piques my interest.

Also, although not "custom" there is some pretty cool stuff out there in the realm of sticks in various exotic hardwoods. Cold Steel makes a composite stick that is kinda interesting. They have a very distinct flex/bounce when they hit each other than I know some people complain about but I don't really mind. They do last FOREVER, which is cool. But they hurt like 8 bitches in a bitch boat when you get hit with one.

If you have any interest in custom kali blades (swords/bolos and knives), I have an excellent source I can refer you to. They are US based and deal directly with a master bladesmith in the Philippines. They aren't cheap and there is a bit of a wait, but they are hands down the best kali blades I have every handled. They are also the only blades I know of today that are actually battle proven (this smith is the exclusive maker of the blades issued to the Filipino Force Recon Marines, who regularly use them both for combat and bushcraft).

16. KaliKid

No this made my day: "hurt like 8 bitches in a bitch boat"! LOL!! Yeah, I understand where you are coming from with the sticks. We were talking about doing custom composite sticks. I have seen Cold Steel's and they are pretty cool, but we need a step up from those. I will post a pic later to show you what I mean. As for your source, why the hell are you holding back? Let us know where we can get some cool shit! :)

17. KaliSong

Glad you liked that one. Not sure where I picked it up or whether it just come out of my own messed up mind, but there are some situations that phrase just captures for me.

Definitely didn't intend to hold out on anyone haha. They are Top Prado Blades (http://www.toppradoblades.com/) - full disclosure I know these guys personally (through Kali training) but have no business affiliation with them. The bladesmith is actually also the guy in charge of the Tactical Combat Kali that I've mentioned before. We used his blades in class for quite a while before my buddies started selling the blades.

KaliKid likes this.
  18. KaliKid

Thanks for the link! I see they have that claw ring which is some cool shit as well. I saw a video of Doug Mercaida (sp?) using one. Yeah, if these guys are making the blades for the Marines over there, then this is the real shit! I like the Karambit too! Thanks for the hook up and will let you know when we get the design and discussion going about the Eskrima sticks.

19. KaliSong

Yeah keep me posted!

The cool thing about the Top Prado blades (and the claw rings too I believe) are that they are all made by one master bladesmith. He might have a few assistants helping with some of the stages, but for the most part everything from forging and tempering the blades all the way down to carving the handles/scabbards and engraving the handguards is all done by hand by Msgt. Prado.

I've got three 18" bolos from him, and one of the bigger knives. Also have shorter (15") bolo and a hand knife on order, but they won't be here for a while. I'll try to get some pics up at some point.

20. KaliKid

We want pics!! We want pics!! :manganr::madaddy: