1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. deathtakeslast

deathtakeslast Enormous member

I picked this up out on a mission and was wondering if you have any use for it. Its about 1/4 thick. Carbon steel of some sort.

2. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

it'd make an interesting story for a piece, I wouldn't want to make a blade out of it straight because I don't know what it is. but I could use it in a piece of damascus or use it straight as fittings

3. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

On this train of thought, i've always thought it might be good to get some artillery shells cut them up and have them melted into a block. Then get a set of knucks made from the newly cast block.

So is it:
    a) possible to melt the brass shells in a bladesmith's furnace
    b) economical
    c) possible to get some shells shipped from the sand home

Dare say one shell would make a fair few guards or butt caps? This must make a few:
    [​IMG]

4. deathtakeslast

deathtakeslast Enormous member

cool ill bring it back for you. Im be on leave for 30 days in ga. on return.

5. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

A: sure, I can melt most anything I want as far as metal goes and brass is easy
    B: I spose, economy is subjective
    C: I was under the impression that brass was pretty much regulated by the military and they don't really want ppl walking off with spent shells.

6. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

As far as getting one of these big boys well it can be down to your unit. In Afghan and Iraq where they were firing loads of 105mm and 155mm I think. You could have a shell if you got an armorer to certify it was inert. Last I heard there was a booming trade in mugs being made out of these shells in Camp Bastion in Afghan.

So it should be possible is what i'm saying. I've heard of a few people who got them on range packages they did here. There must be some member of an arty unit on the JD that could enlighten us?