1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Static Shocks

Tinysd Mar 20, 2008

1. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

Is there any way to minimize these? It has been dry here and I have been getting shocked like no other. It is bad enough on the fingers, but I was leaning in to get a closer look and got shocked on my face from the work rest. :tard:

2. Joe Whalen

Joe Whalen knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

:bwah: Sorry, but that made me laugh. Run a ground wire from your motor frame to your grinder. When I first put the pyro cerm. platen on my grinder I was getting zapped like crazy. Since I grounded the grinder I don't get zapped at all. I'm using the KMG too.

3. Tinysd

The motor and grinder are bolted to the same piece of 1/2 inch plate and that is bolted to the concrete floor.

4. BARKER

BARKER knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

You can get some static disappating boots.
    -John

5. Joe Whalen

Is your motor painted? Check continuity between the motor and the grinder and make sure it's under an ohm.

6. Tinysd

Are those like boots of escaping? :bwah:

7. Tinysd

I left the mounting plate under the motor bare. I have no idea how to check an ohm. :jduh:

8. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Goddamnit , don't make me come out there !
    You have a multi meter ?
    Say yes..........or go get one.
    Sounds like a ground issue .............. you could ground the frame / table / plate to a water pipe probably to get rid of the static.
    If all metal parts are connected and there is continuity between them all , grounding the whole shooting match to a water pipe , or if you really want to get jazzy , to the ground in your breaker box in the casa should clear it up.
    A ground clamp should be available at any decent hardware store if you go to a pipe ............... to the box shouldn't need one.
    Just a hunk of wire long enough...........10 ga. should work fine......solid or stranded.
    J.S.

9. Joe Whalen

I'm thinking the base plate on the motor was painted with the motor and the paint might be stopping your ground flow. Testing ohm's is just measuring the resistance between two points. Most multi meters can do that, like tubtar said.

10. Tinysd

I was going to buy one last week, but passed. :bwah:

When I anchored the stand, I drilled through the slab and hit dirt. There are four anchors and I used one long one to go into the earth. Shouldn't that be good enough?

11. Joe Whalen

When you say long, how long do you mean. A normal ground rod is 5/8" diameter and 8' long. I don't remember the the actual formula, but an anchor is not going to be a very good ground going into the dirt below a slab.
    Borrow a meter from someone and check the resistance, or just run a jumper wire from a motor bolt (after you scrape it to bare metal) to a grinder bolt.
    See if you can get a picture of the spark jumping from your forhead to the grinder before you fix it though.:thefinger

12. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I laughed out loud when you said it zapped you in the puss...

this is really common when it's dry. lot's of guys solve this with an anti-stat wrist thing computer geeks use. Wear the wrist strap and clip it onto frame. It has a million ohm resister in it so you could plug that end into a wall socket and it won't hurt you. The other thing, and it works, is to get the anti-static spray for clothes and give your grinder a little spray before you grind. Some have tried anti stat mats with mixed success.

Tinysd likes this.
  13. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

it has to do more than just hit dirt, it need to conduct electricity to "ground"

this is usually done with a 10' rod, coated in copper, driven all the way into the ground intending to hit the water table

you will need more than a couple inches penetration for a good grounding

14. Honch0

Honch0 head honcho

Mr. Fowler is correct. By NY code, a true "earth ground" consists of a conductive pipe or rod driven into the earth to a minimum depth of 8 feet.

Your lag bolt earth ground may not be a true ground. You would be better of using the ground leg of your power source...Al

15. Tinysd

I let this get off track. The grinder was grounded and wired properly by a licensed electrician. The problem was never this bad until this week and it is very dry.

Tracy had the tips I was looking for.

I will try and capture pics of me getting shocked.:thefinger

16. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

in the face please...:madaddy:

17. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

Static Shocks ... make grinding much more interesting at times. :umberto:

18. infobound1

infobound1 Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

Tiny You are a true glutton for punishment in the quest of science!

19. BARKER

BARKER knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have heard people spraying static guard on their belts and said that makes it go away. You can buy it in the laundry section of the grocery.
    -John

20. Danbo

Danbo enormous genitals Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've got the same problem with my Bader and the pyroceram platen.

My wife bought me some of those rubber floor pads to lessen the shock of standing on concrete in the shop/garage. As the shop is still too cluttered for me to throw them down yet, I don't know what effect they will have on the static problem. Will they stop the shocking or at least lessen it?