1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Spyderco, Standard Model G10, what's wrong with this picture...urrr...knife?

Offshorecop Apr 22, 2012

1. Offshorecop

Offshorecop Little member

I picked up what looked like a good deal on a "New Spyderco". It is actually a discontinued Standard Model, #C05GS. G-10 handles, ATS-55, wow! Nothing real special, but a nice little knife. Seemed like a sweet deal, until I received it. Right at the base of the blade, I see what looks like a crack. I can feel it with my finger nail, so I shoot some photos of it. I looked the Spyderco over for the "Second" marking or notch, but there were no obvious markings. Looking at the knife, it's mint in every other way. Thoughts?

2. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

My thought ??

Thats fucked up and you got ripped off :devilzeek

I've owned close to 200 Spydercos in my life and have NEVER seen a blade such as that !!!!

Don't matter if you got it for real real cheap --- i'd be wanting my money back:pissedevil:

3. Offshorecop

Hi DaBird,

Thanks for your response. Yea, I was pretty disappointed, and I’m still a bit pissed off at the guy that sold me the knife :devilfinger:. Under a bright light, and a magnifying glass, it looks like it might be an unfinished grind. Basically just a very rough high side, and a rough drop off. Perhaps it isn’t cracked? To tell you the truth, I can’t say with any degree of certainty. I hope that there are guys out there with Standard models that can tell me if their knives are flawless, or if this model was always a little rough in the choil area? I posted this issue on the Spyderco Form, and the owner (Sal) responded. Sal seems like a good guy, and suggested I send it in so they can have a look at it. I also received an email response from Spyderco’s warranty people, saying send it in. They can’t change the blade, or replace the knife because it was discontinued about 14 years ago. Perhaps they can file or grind down the area, and polish it off? It’s good to know that Spyderco’s Customer Service cares about their customers, and the Spyderco reputation. I know that some (most) Spyderco Models are made off-shore, and with that they sometimes have quality control issues. What I find interesting is the knife looks new. The screws are all untouched, and there are no scratches on the blade or the G10 handle. Likewise the pocket clip is perfect. For all intensive purposes, it looks new. Could it be that they just didn’t finish the blade cleanly before assembling the knife? At the very least, it is a serious cosmetic flaw, and something the sell should have mentioned. Spyderco knives usually have very decent fit & finish. This guy I bought it from claims he never noticed a problem, and “it was fine when I shipped it to you”. I might believe that from a non-knife person, but this guy is a knife-guy. He knew exactly what he was doing. Liars piss me off.

4. jujigatame

jujigatame Slanted & Enchanted

That is a really rough grind. It's possible it could have left the factory that way. Assuming it's not cracked then you could try to smooth that area out yourself if you've got a fine diamond file or hone. I don't know what Spyderco would do to it in terms of making a cosmetic improvement but I think whatever it might be could only be determined once they had the knife in hand.

Bad form on the seller's part though. Anyone who's a knife person would notice that in my opinion.

5. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

As I stated ---I 've owned HUNDREDS of Spydercos and have handled maybe THOUSANDS and I've NEVER seen a problem like that on a single one. It looks to me , like a factory flaw of some type and If I couldn't get my money back -- Id send it to Spyderco for a replacement or another model -- I'd include a note to Sal that I'd be willing to take a different model also.

Who knows --- you may come out of this smelling like a rose :thumbsup:

Ps --- HIGHLY doubtfull that they would even sell that as a "2nd" IMO , looks like it just "fell thru the cracks" at QC.

6. the dude

the dude this aggression will not stand man

does that model usually have a phillips screw holding it together?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  7. Offshorecop

Dude,

Yes, I believe the phillips head screw is standard. We don't see phillips screws anymore. I've looked at a few different photos of the Model: C05GS. It's an interesting knife. The clip is set-up for right hand, and the clip keeps the pivot screw from getting loose, which is kind of cool. It also has a single steel liner, whick keeps the handle fom being really thick. The blade is a tad under 3" of ATS55, which I think is okay steel. Never had an ATS-55 knife before. I think I would prefer the plain edge, but there are fewer plain edge models out there. Like I said before, it is a pretty cool set up.

8. clockwork477

clockwork477 Huge member