1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Aqua Salt

MadDaddy Feb 4, 2009

1. NoFair

NoFair Huge member

The brown stuff is residue from the laser engraving it isn't the blade blade rusting ;)

H1 work hardens and is hard to flat grind without doing it slowly by hand. Tom Krein will do it for you:devil1:

I think H1 goes up to over 60 on the RC scale, thought the Aqua in PE was in the high 50'ies somewhere. Mine has half decent edge holding, but the main advantage is that I can leave it wet and salty in the boat and not worry about it after 2 weeks of sailing. None of my other stainless knives take that without serious rust and my carbon knives would be a lot worse off.

The Caspian is a nice small backup diving knife, but I didn't buy one since it doesn't work well with the thick neoprene mittens required for diving here in Norway.

If you don't need a knife you can use in seawater without worry I agree that there are loads of other knives that are better. I only use mine when diving or sailing. Around freshwater I use other knives I like better.

Sverre

2. Semper708

Semper708 I know more about nothing than you ever will My Ass is on Probation

Parker, Got her last night.....I'll report back as soon I get done playing with her this weekend.....:semper:

3. Semper708

Parker.....I'm out of town till Thursday, when I back I'll send on to the next person. Sorry for taking so long....:semper:

4. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

What is the status on this? :ssmile:

5. Semper708

Sorry, forgot about this, will send in the morning and give my review also.

6. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I got this last week but I have been rather busy. I will use it on thur/friday and ship it out on the w/e.

Like the looks of it at a glance.

7. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

What is the status on this? :ssmile:

8. BennytheBlade

Sorry-
    I still have it... Got slammed at work.
    It will go out this w/e.

9. BennytheBlade

And still it sits on my desk.
    I have done nothing but work and sleep but I am now bound and determined to get this knife outta here.
    Ill post when it goes.

10. infobound1

infobound1 Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

I take it that this is closed? I am Looking for a new folder for the back of the boat, that can live with the NA Salt!

11. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

HEY can I get a chance?

12. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

OK....This has been in your hands for about 8 weeks. That is far too long and not fair to everyone else that is waiting. PLEASE get this back on track ASAP.

Parker likes this.
  13. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Benny, you can order shipping boxes free of charge from the PO, pay for postage and insurance online and drop it at a post office in the box on your way to work.

Or of course you can call Fed Ex and they will bring all this to you, will take a check and will take the package with them

14. BennytheBlade

Sorry guys.
    This went out today.
    Ill post tracking when I get a chance.
    Ben.

15. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

Ok, cool. Please don't post tracking info here, just PM it to the person you shipped it to.

16. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

Received it yesterday.
    I'm tired, sore, have been sweating my ass off in 106 degree heat for the past couple of weeks.
    Now that I'm done whining, I'll get out sometime this weekend and cut some bamboo, brambles, etc... maybe do some waterborne stuff as well. AFTER I sharpen it!!!!
    I hope to ship it out by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

17. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

Okay, time for my review.

Pros:
    Size.
    Bright color.
    Easy to sharpen.
    Like the reverse tanto tip.

Cons:
    The grip.
    The grip.
    Did I mention the grip?

Overall, I'm not impressed with this knife. I have some cheap-ass Spanish dive knife I bought many years ago I prefer over this one.

As far as the good points on the Spyderco, I like the tip as it is good for prying. I like the size of the blade, not too big nor small. The handle is the right size and shape BUT... it will chew your hand up no matter WHAT you do, dive gloves or not!

It's easy to sharpen but doesn't seem to hold the edge too long. Not a big deal to me as I don't mind sharpening a knife but you don't always have the gear handy on a dive trip.

If Spyderco reworked the grip so it wasn't like a cheese grater, they might be onto something. However, I just can't get past the way it is right now.

I'll be sending this out to the next person on the list Monday.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Andy

P.S. I didn't add any pictures of the knife in action as I didn't see any value added. Parker did a pretty thorough job in that department.

Parker likes this.
  18. jimmyjo

Got it today and that grip/handle bites the big one.

19. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

Thanks fr the update. :)

20. jimmyjo

the salt coming back home in a couple days to MadDaddy.