1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Space,....The final frontier

Mr.LaBella Jul 7, 2015

1. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

2. Berkley

Berkley Ancient Life Form Brigade Member

Mondo bizzarro! :spacedevil: :UFO:

3. Krull

Krull Legit Crybaby/Drama QUEEN

The shuttles while "stirring" and "awesome" are pretty lousy spacecraft,also delicate and they can't take the pounding a capsule type can-the Russians still use rockets and capsules,we sunk our shuttles and don't have a fucking replacement yet.

Cold weather,yes COLD WEATHER blew up two of the fuckers.

I don't have much nice to say about them.

4. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I honeslty don't understand this post(?)

But anyways wonder why they would just abandon the materials like that...even as scrap there has to be some expensive materials that could be recycled for something

5. Krull

Just noting that the shuttle program was the biggest propaganda farce,the only thing it did was make us look good until the Russians copied it-and they didn't use it much just flew it a couple times and then...nothing,which is telling.

However you see people gush over the thing and sing praises,we could have,and SHOULD have made a more stable system to get us in space and then built a means to go out into it and look around instead of dumping billions into a glorified glider that basically just flew crap into orbit.

If we expect to survive in any way we need to get off our home world and go see what's out there/find new things that'd better us.

As I said I have nothing nice to say about it.

6. Stranger

Stranger JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Wow that's pretty cool!:devilzeek

7. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Ummm,hey Krull?

There were 5 Shuttles total.

They flew from 1981 until 2011. That's 30 years, even up in W Virginia.

There were 135 Missions total. 14 Shuttle pilots died in the two flight failures over the 30 years.

They were instrumental in the International Space Station program, studying the long term effects of living in Zero G's.

Pretty much what we need to know to "get off our home world and see what's out there/find new things to better us."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  8. Krull

By now we should at least be hanging around the moon,and have a station in earth orbit with regular flights to and from the surface...and getting ready to buzz by Mars.

Granted that's not all the shuttle's fault it IS some of our risk aversion,the crews we lost with it were "too much" however....you might double or triple those losses with a Mars mission.

9. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

It takes 9 months to reach Mars.....

10. Krull

Maybe six months,then a stay for awhile (NASA says maybe two years) the point is we SHOULD be doing more since 1969 when we shot our ass to the moon,the shuttle is pretty but the thing is delicate and launching it is like performance art,really it shouldn't be harder then flying a plane from NY to CA.

It is interesting how the Russians just abandoned the thing,I think it says how inefficient it is-those Russian capsules get bounced all over the steppes and the crew is fine,the shuttle loses a tile and it burns up on reentry.

11. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ummm, nope. :devilroll:

There were warnings not to launch at the low temps by the manufacture of the rocket components that were ignored they tried to halt the flight as the O-Rings were never designed to operate at sub freezing temps.

It was the people choosing to launch under the incorrect perimeters of safe flight that caused the first catastrophic failure.

And the 2nd one , it was frost from condensation of the liquid fuel that broke free and impacted the craft upon liftoff and punched a hole in a wing, not a missing tile .

So those craft were pretty resilient to have flown for the years and missions they did.

One failure Man could have prevented, one not.

:devilcorn:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  12. Krull

In any case is that a GOOD thing? you would think a thing made to operate in the void of space should be able to handle a little cold on the surface of a planet,and the second~been awhile and I forgot that it wasn't cold weather but cold fuel tanks,anyways I don't find the fact that a hole poked in a tile FUBAR'd the whole craft comforting,seriously the rockets take a lot of abuse and still function kinda makes sense that you want tough if you're fucking around where you can die in many a horrid way if you take tin toy out for a spin,no?

Bottom line:I like and prefer the old rockets and the Russian ones still in use,they just work and no bullshit.

13. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

A guy could score a lotta pussy with a Space Shuttle.

Krull still wouldn't like 'em....

:bwah:

14. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

No loss is good, your facts are fucked in the ass that's all. :bwah:

You missed my edit info as well:

The ROCKETS were not designed to work in space, they were designed to take the craft to altitude then the main engines did the rest.

Mans mistake to launch with unsafe conditions ,bottom line. .

15. ilovekittens

ilovekittens Sailing the seas of cheese Knife Maker or Craftsman

What a waste of money. Instead of playing rockets and trying to bring back the dinosaurs, why don't these brainiacs figure out how to get it to stop raining around here. :forecastrain: ILK

16. TPetsch

TPetsch Ice Cold Handshake

Great link, that was fun.

Thanks for sharing :)

17. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

It would be fun to make a movie there. :manganr: :vampiro::voltron::buzz:

18. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

I am sure someone with a film company is thinking the same thing.

Great post. I love science fiction and used to be a huge fan of space exploration. Now I don't think a carbon based Mammal, using fossil fuels will ever travel the galaxies. I am currently of the opinion that DNA and the code for life did travel through space in a different dimension that we have not yet discovered. The launching of rockets and shuttles is cool but will not be how space is traversed. If we want to travel in space we will have leave our human form behind.

BUT there are worse things to spend my tax dollars on.:devilcorn:
    and I will continue to make rockets.:madaddy:

The Russians did steal all the shuttle technology from us. But we both stole our rocket technology from Germany.

19. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

geezous. double post.

20. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

Remembering one of our our favorite Nazis, Wernher Von Braun.