1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Sourdough dammit!!!

norcal13 Mar 24, 2019

1. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

The store downtown fucked me when they stopped stocking my favorite bread from this tiny ass artisan bakery about 50 miles away.
    You know the sourdough bread that ribbons the skin on the roof of your mouth while simultaneously making your jaw muscles sore as fuck cause it is one chewy bastard?
    Yeah.... that bread.
    Well.... since they fucked me I decided I can do anything they can... it just might take a minute.
    I started a sourdough starter with an old rotten apple from the backyard last night and now I have two different kinds of bread rising right now.
    Pics to follow.
    Tell me of your baking skills Devils.

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

1. Sounds delicious.
    2. None. I mean really none. I can cook meat so that I dont get sick but I cant bake for shit.
    3. Thats what moms are for.

Kelper, seandavid55 and crogers like this.
  3. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

I can bake. I've not had a lot of experience with bread, but I have made some. I never heard of making sourdough with rotten apples, I always just left some wet flour out for a couple days. Usually, it turned out OK, but some days... STINK CITY, and throw that shit out! If I made more bread, I'd get me a good starter going and just keep it alive for years and years. It only gets better with age.

I'm more of a cake/pie kinda guy... specializing in cheesecakes. I have a Word doc with over 1,000 pages of cheesecake recipes, although I seldom use one now. I can make 'em on the fly.

ded i, Kelper, norcal13 and 2 others like this.
  4. crogers

At a church that I used to attend, we had a men's group that had breakfast several times each year. When it was my group's turn, I made the gravy from scratch, while the other groups bought gravy packets.

Once, a fellow asked who made the gravy. I told him I had. He said "That tastes like 'mom' gravy." I've rarely been prouder!

My mom is a very good cook. She doesn't do it as often now with her advanced age, but she still cooks occasionally. I overheard her tell someone once that I was a better cook than her! I've NEVAR been prouder!

BTW, she's the one that taught me how to make that gravy! :oopschef:

I've never been married, and have lived alone since 1974, so I learned to cook as a means of survival! :hungry:

ded i, Berkley, Kelper and 1 other person like this.
  5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Yeah, Mom was THE cook in the house. Her, my dad, and my brother and I and we were fed WELL. Up until she hit 80 she was still doing a good job.

ded i, Kelper, norcal13 and 2 others like this.
  6. crogers

My mom just turned 84. She cooked every day until my dad died a few years ago. Now, it's pretty hard to cook for one when you've spent your whole life cooking for several. She still manages to cook for herself a few times a week, and a couple times a year she'll cook for my brother and me.

She did a bit more when my nephew still was in town. He moved to live with his mother in Texas about 9 months ago and mom misses him. She liked to cook for him, but he's not around.

7. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

Nothing smells as wholesome as fresh baked bread. My wife and I made bread from scratch every week for years. At this point, I just buy bread from a local bakery. They have a whole wheat sourdough that is among the best I have tried. I guess I have gotten lazy because that seems like a pretty good option.

ded i, Kelper, norcal13 and 1 other person like this.
  8. norcal13

[​IMG] Well I tried to make a loaf using only the "wild" yeast as leavening.
    I fucking failed.
    It didn't rise at all.
    I read up some more and used rapid rise yeast along with my sourdough starter and I killed it!
    Regular sourdough loaf and a whole wheat sandwich loaf.... both recipes are from the King Arthur website. http://imgur.com/gallery/oPKmWbO
    [​IMG]

ded i, seandavid55, Kelper and 2 others like this.
  9. BennytheBlade

my mouth is watering looking at that pic.

10. crogers

Hmmmm.... need some butter, or maybe, some good olive oil, or maybe, some jelly, or maybe.... :hungry:

It usually takes a while to get a wild yeast culture growing well enough to raise the dough. A lot of people supplement with some store-bought yeast.

The more you bake, the more the yeast that remains in the kitchen will turn "wild". I've even heard of people starting a culture with flour, water, and store-bought yeast. If you let it sit out a while, the yeast will go "wild" and develop a different (sour) taste.

You'll get it figured out. Seems to be working pretty well for ya as it is....

11. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

It is possible to develop a sourdough starter by using store-bought yeast initially. From there, just treat it like a traditional sourdough starter and replenish it every time you bake something. I have done this, but it was a few years back. The taste changes as you go through a few generations of yeast and it will become a classic sourdough. You can make great biscuits with this stuff also.

ded i, norcal13 and Kelper like this.
  12. norcal13

It was good.... but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.
    So I did what everyone does .... I looked for a forum dork.
    Custom leavening baskets?
    Check.
    Custom bread saws?
    Check.
    These overachievers are who I am looking for.
    https://foodbodsourdough.com/
    Going to try this next.... that is the chewy ass product I am really looking for.

ded i, BennytheBlade and Kelper like this.
  13. crogers

Well, IF you really want that crunchy crust and chewy texture, you need to buy a $10,000 steam injection oven!

Barring a lottery win, you should be able to make do with water and/or ice put in the bottom of your oven at the beginning of the baking cycle. Not exactly the same, but it should be pretty close.

There are scads of little tricks to getting the perfect loaf. Good luck in your quest!

ded i, BennytheBlade and Kelper like this.
  14. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

I haven't made bread since I came to America. Bread, is pretty good to me and lots of choices. Sourdough is not a taste I enjoy that much.

I am aware that a LOT of annoying British people on Faceache groups complain bitterly about bread not rising. Apparently, it's something to do with flour choices and altitude .

Maybe, they can't cook, and NEED to complain about something.

ded i, crogers and BennytheBlade like this.
  15. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Love this thread. I've been baking since I was about 10 years old, enjoyed being in the kitchen with my mom. I tend to make bread rolls, not so many loaves. I haven't done sour dough but I applaud you guys ~ and enjoy hearing about your choices.

Kelper and crogers like this.
  16. norcal13

Instead I got the cast iron bug and baked it in a dutch oven.
    This loaf was odd.
    Water, flour, salt and starter.
    But it turned out awesome!
    http://imgur.com/gallery/Or3nNMT
    [​IMG]

El Gringo, Kelper and crogers like this.
  17. crogers

Hmmmm... sounds like a French Baguette! By law, that's the recipe for bread in France. Add anything else, and ya can't call it a "baguette".

I agree with the comment on imgur... "The bread to butter ratio is not sufficient" :manganr:

norcal13 and Kelper like this.