1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

~sopranos finale??????

beergoddess Jun 11, 2007

1. beergoddess

beergoddess shorter than endowed Lady Devil

wtf??? what was that shit about?? i am VERY disappointed about the sopranos finale. maybe i didnt get it?? anyone else have thoughts on the subject? i wont reveal any spolier info.... but i am peeeeeeved!!

2. WoodyPriapism

WoodyPriapism Average member

The consensus on other forums is that this was a horribly disappointing ending. Not even an ending; it just went black and then they rolled the credits. I hope HBO's phone lines are burning up with people calling about the ending.

3. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

Just seen it...:ssad:

4. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

This review kind of makes sense.

No Easy Ending for 'The Sopranos'
    By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Tony Soprano carries on.

The much-awaited conclusion of HBO's "The Sopranos" arrived Sunday night in a frenzy of audience speculation. Would New Jersey mob boss Soprano live or be killed? Would his family die before his eyes? Would he go to jail? Be forced to enter witness protection? Would Brooklyn boss Phil Leotardo, who had ordered a hit on Tony, prevail?

In the end, the only ending that mattered was the one masterminded by "Sopranos" creator David Chase. And playing against viewer expectations, as always, Chase refused to stage a mass extermination, put the characters through any major transformations, or provide his viewers with comfortable closure. Or catharsis. After all, he declined to pass moral judgment on Tony — he reminded viewers all season what a thug Tony is, then gave him a pass.

But Chase was true to himself, and that's what made "The Sopranos" brilliant on Sunday night, and the 85 episodes that went before. The product of an artist with a bleak but incisive vision, "The Sopranos" has always existed on its own terms. It was challenging and elegant, but seldom tidy.

The only neat development in the finale was that Leotardo was crushed. Otherwise it was perversely non-earthshaking — just one last visit with the characters we have followed so devoutly since 1999.

Here was the funeral for Bobby Bacala, Tony's soldier and brother-in-law, who was shot dead on Leotardo's orders last week. Here was Tony (series star James Gandolfini) paying a hospital visit to his gravely injured consigliere, Silvio Dante, also targeted by Leotardo.

Tony's ne'er-do-well son A.J. (Robert Iler) continued to wail about the misery in the world, and voiced a fleeting urge to join the Army and go fight in Afghanistan (Tony persuaded him to get involved in filmmaking, instead). Daughter Meadow (Jamie-Lynn Sigler) harped on her plans to be a lawyer.

Tony visits his senile Uncle Junior (Dominic Chianese) at the nursing home. "You and my dad, you two ran North Jersey," Tony prompts him.

"We did?" said Uncle Junior with no sign of recognition. "That's nice."

Despite suspicions to the contrary, neither Paulie Walnuts nor Patsy Parisi sold out Tony. And neither was whacked. Dr. Melfi, who kicked Tony out of therapy last week, made no last-minute appearance.

Sure, headaches lie ahead for Tony. The Feds are still after him. And Meadow's fiance, Patsy Jr., is a lawyer who may well be pursuing cases that intrude on Tony's business interests.

So what else is new?

The finale displayed their lives continuing, for better and worse, unaffected by the fact that the series is done. The implication was, they will go on as usual. We just won't be able to watch.

Of course, Leotardo (Frank Vincent) hit a dead end after Tony located him with the help of his favorite federal agent. The execution was a quick but classic "Sopranos" scene: Pulling up at a gas station with his wife, Leotardo made a grand show of telling his two young grandchildren in the back seat to "wave bye-bye" as he emerged from his SUV. The next moment he was on the pavement, shot in the head.

Then you heard the car roll over his head. Carunnnchh! Quick, clinical, even comical, this was the only violence during the hour.

Not that Chase (who wrote and directed this episode) didn't tease viewers with the threat of death in almost every scene.

This was never more true than in the final sequence. On the surface, it was nothing more momentous than Tony, his wife, Carmela (Edie Falco), Meadow and A.J. meeting for dinner at a cozy family restaurant.

When he arrived, Tony dropped a coin in the jukebox and played the classic Journey power ballad "Don't Stop Believing." Meanwhile, every moment seemed to foreshadow disaster: Suspicious-looking people coming in the door or sitting at a nearby table. Meadow on the street having trouble parallel parking her car. With every passing second, the audience was primed for tragedy. It was a scene both warm and fuzzy yet full of dread, setting every viewer's heart racing for no clear reason.

But nothing would happen. It was just a family gathering for dinner at a restaurant. Four people among many.

But then — with a jingle of the bell on the front door, Tony looked up, apparently seeing Meadow make her delayed entrance. Or could he have seen something awful — something her certainly deserved — about to come down?

Probably not. Almost certainly a false alarm. But we'll never know. With that, "The Sopranos" cut to black, leaving us enriched after eight years. And flustered. And fated to always wonder what happened next.

5. mp5man1

mp5man1 Tactical Performance Gear Knife Maker or Craftsman

I kept thinking that guy sitting at the counter and the guy at the booth were going to do something. Had me sitting on the edge of my chair. When it went blank I thought the cable went out. When the credits rolled I was pissed.

6. mrbieler

mrbieler cursimus cum forfex

I liked it. Surprised, but then not.

There was no way they could neatly wrap things up. Now you can make the ending be anything you want. Just wish it wasn't over.

Deadwood canceled, then Rome canceled, and now the Soprano's end. Nothing else I really like on HBO. Hopefully Weeds will come back strong.

7. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

Yeah, the ending SUCKED. I was pissed because I thought my cable company went out at the last minute. I'm cursing THEM out when the credits started to roll and I realized what was going on. THEN I started cursing out the Sopranos!!!!!!

8. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

At first I was pissed that they left us hanging....but after thinking about it and discussing it with the wife....this ending is much "smarter" and leaves room for speculation from the viewer.

I am pissed about Deadwood....it was one of the best shows on TV.

9. Kalooch135

Kalooch135 Fireman Ken

I was thinking that Tony, Carmela, and AJ would get whacked by the guy in the Members Only jacket while Meadow was parking the car. She would come in just after they got shot and he would push past her as he fled.

The good Soprano would be the only one left.

silenthunterstudios likes this.
  10. 24thMED

24thMED Down For Life

Bada Bing, Bada Boom.........

Komodo likes this.
  11. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

:bobert: :xxrotflma :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. The General

After doing a Degree in English, I am used to smart ass writers thinking how smart they are and reading between the lines.

I accept its an ending with interesting possibilities, there is room for another series there, and/or a movie. It was in my opinion though left open for commercial reasons. The HBO line up from what I have seen sucks and I would not be at all surprised if another series or more likely spin off series were made.

I don't think as some have suggested the black screen means that Tony died. The discussion in the boat where he is told you never see it coming was a reference to the shooting at the toy shop, NOT Tony.

I think it just means Tony will always look for danger the rest of his life. He does not lead a normal life and never will. I think the whole scene was a set up to make us, the audience expect the worst and then nothing. We are no longer privilege to their world and its the insight into their life, their drama that has died. We the audience are no longer able to view, so we are the ones who have in all essence died. Not Tony or his family.

Thats my take on it.

I was disappointed though as its entertainment and I wanted so much more. I was lead to expect something after 8 1/2 years far more than this. Even Phil's death was somewhat of a damp squib.

13. bazza

bazza Little member

Soprano's Finale

Here in the UK we're still waiting for the second part of the final series, for some reason it stopped half way through a couple of months ago.
    Still, the good news is, I don't have to wait for the ending now........................................................thanks guys!!!!!

Barry:ssad:

14. hanky

hanky Huge member

sopranos

I smell a movie. Hanky

15. The General

Its a thread about the ending of the Soprano's...

What did you expect to read?

I made a point of avoiding any and all threads about the Soprano's final episode until I had seen it.

Just call me a genius!:jdwink2:

16. Revolvergeek

Revolvergeek Average member

Exactly. We are cancelling HBO :thefinger and getting Showtime so that we can watch Dexter and Sleeper Cell. Deadwood and Rome off of DVD are way better than anything HBO has now...

I hated that ended when we watch it last night, but I have come to appreciate it a little more since then, or at least understand what they were trying to do. We thought that the DVR had failed and started screaming.... and then the credits started rolling and we started throwing things! :cry:

17. mp5man1

mp5man1 Tactical Performance Gear Knife Maker or Craftsman

First Deadwood but I didn't know Rome was canceled. That sucks

18. G3

G3 Brigade Member Brigade Member

Today alot of TV sets are being sold in Brooklyn and Jersey. :bwah:

19. tmbrcrafter

tmbrcrafter totally hetero, no seriously Brigade Member

What a total let down.

20. Umberto

Umberto cool mother fucker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Next to Sopranos, I like The Wire. Its starting a new season.