1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

some monday bullshit

desmodus May 22, 2018

1. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i get poison ivy. i don't get it as terrible as some i've seen, but i get it bad enough.

the first gig this morning has poison ivy at the base of two spruce i am to take down.

i see a wheel barrow and ask the old gentleman if i can put my rope bag in his wheel barrow at the base of my tree so it isn't in the bed of ivy. he says yes.

i wreck the spruce down to a thirty foot spar and we clean up everything else so i can drop the spar on a clean surface (standard operating procedure). i disconnect both of my ropes from my saddle and stick them in the wheel barrow, but leave my saddle and spurs on for this (not stand operating procedure).

after we clean up i make my notch and then my back cut. as the spar starts to tip i back step away for just in case the log bounces i do not get popped (standard operating procedure). i catch the back of my leg on the wheel barrow (still holding the chainsaw but with the chain brake engaged (standard operation procedure)). when i try to correct and rebalance i stab my right leg down (this would normally prevent me from falling).

pause

still attached to my fucking feet are my fucking spurs.

everybody has heard stories about people gaffing their legs. i've heard i think four personally. whether it's straight through the pants into the leg or through the pants and then the boot and into the leg it's almost always to the bone and the scar is always savage.

the spur on my right foot goes right through the top of my boot.

most climbers have a winter pair of boots (insulated) and a summer pair of boots (not insulated). i wear insulated boots (600 gram) all year round. i also wear wool socks. people think i'm batshit (no really), but i like feeling like my feet are protected.

wtf happened to my foot?

because my gaffs are shorter and my boots are thicker i punched a half inch hole all the way through $300 boots that are only two months old, but i did NOT gaff my fucking foot.

the top of my foot may or may not be bruised. i do not give a fuck.

also, i tossed the $600 chainsaw that was less than two months old and broke the handle in half. the part that is the kill switch fell out entirely and the saw kept running with no way to shut it OFF

remember that bed of poison ivy? i'm laying in that WITH my rope bag and all of my shit that got dumped out of the wheel barrow when i backed into it...

ded i, El Gringo, crogers and 2 others like this.
  2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Damn Des. That's a whole lot of shit gone wrong in one evolution. I'm so glad you didn't gaff your self. I've witnessed it a couple times and its ugly. One of those guys came very close to cutting his Achilles. Other guy buried it into his shin.

If I said I never did any ground work with my gaffs on, it would be a lie. It's rare, but when the circumstances are right it happens.

My spelling could be wrong, but we have used a tecnu product. It's for poison oak and ivy. Works on certain insect stings as well if I remember correctly. Can be used to decontaminate your rope and clothing. I work with a guy who is terribly allergic. Breaks out with rashes any time he's near poison oak. He says that tecnu works better than anything else. Probably not your first rodeo, but you can transfer those oils to other clothes through the laundry.

Sorry Des. That's a rough day.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    El Gringo, crogers and Kelper like this.
  3. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

Your experience sounds like a classic bad day. For what its worth, here is a link to a video that explains how to remove urushiol from you skin. It may help.

El Gringo, crogers and Kelper like this.
  4. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

With all this talk about "spars", "ropes", and "saddle and spurs", I don't know whether to "Aaaargh" or "YeeHAW!" :pirateyhorse:

Glad you're uninjured (relatively speaking) and all is well (except them $300 boots and that chainsaw).

Mebbe this can cheer ya up!

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Or this little stoner....

ded i, woodlander and Kelper like this.
  6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

bumming for ya ,,and you got the concert this weekend ,,I hope you didn't get the ivy on ya........

ded i, crogers and Kelper like this.
  7. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Seems like you had a really bad day. Hope your feeling better today. I know I couldn't do your job...you have gut's that's for sure. You need the day off ..

crogers likes this.
  8. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

All better now I hope. That's 1 expensive day you got there but it is still better than any medical bills and lasting physical injuries.

Also, love those squirrel vids

ded i, Kelper, crogers and 2 others like this.
  9. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

That coulda ended a lot worse. Glad it didnt.
    Chainsaw and boots are replaceable. You not so much.
    Glad you're ok.

ded i, Kelper and crogers like this.
  10. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

On purpose?

Seriously though, did you have a GoPro on and recording?

ded i, Kelper, crogers and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

LOL.

Love it. Goofball

ded i, Kelper and crogers like this.
  12. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

that fucking sucks about the boots and saw... lesson learned?

13. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

More or less...

14. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

That sounds like 'Forestry Dance - Part Two' to me!

ded i and Kelper like this.
  15. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

I'm so glad we're typing happy funny stuff and wishing you an excellent weekend. :bobdance:

woodlander likes this.