1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Soapstone

Jim L. Oct 3, 2016

1. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

In an earlier post I mentioned using soapstone instead of chalk when filing. The results are promising. OH, My God.

-The files don't load up much if at all.

-the files cut _much_ better and are much cleaner requiring brushing a lot less.

-Less load up greatly reduces gouging resulting in a smoother surface.

-Less/little rusting on both the file and metal being worked during down times.

-Older files with persistent rust appear cleaner and sharper.

The hydrophobic and "lubricating properties apparently come from the fact that soapstone is mined from talc quarries.

I think I've bought my last chalk. Soapstone is more expensive but I use so much less than chalk plus it seems healthier for my files.

I might be blowing sunshine up my own butt on this, but. Comments are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Jim L.

hickory likes this.
  2. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Well, overnight high humidity and rain. No rust on work piece,files or filings. I think I have a winner.

Jim L.

3. PolishAvenger

PolishAvenger Average member

Helluva idea! I'm gonna have to give that a shot, I think.
    -Mark

Jim L. likes this.