1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

So that's what you guys call the empanadas

Jorge Banner Jan 28, 2009

1. Jorge Banner

Jorge Banner Down For Life

View attachment 37832

I didn't even know you ate them.

"Cornish Pasties", uh?

I eat them often. Love them really, really hot; lot's of spices.

"Empanada" is Spanish for "within bread".

2. Toro

Toro Huge member

Myself and my family make empanadas.
    We also call pastelillos or empanadillas depending on size.

I season chicken breast or ground meat with sofrito or recaito or both.
    I use yellow "Discos Grande" from Goya.
    I take a disco, hold in hand curved, throw in some meat and some cheese, and then fold over. Then take fork and seal edges.
    Fry and your done.

3. Jorge Banner

Yeap, that's exactly how we do them. :ninjaeat:

4. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

I make empanadillas fairly often. I prefer tuna and tomato for the filing and use a recipe from one of Penelope Casas Cooking in Spain books. Love those little suckers with some cold beer!

5. Jorge Banner

And for dessert you can make small ones filled with caramel milk. Yummy . . .

6. Jorge Banner

Holly s#!t!! 1000! How this happen? Wonder why Ron put up with me this long?

7. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

I'm pretty sure empanadas are some sort of secret message, when filtered through a healthy layer of crazy, for dropping acid, surrendering to the muslims and becoming a vegan.

This sort of 'pro empanada' crap makes me sick.

8. Jorge Banner

Cr#p! The plan is ruined.

9. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

I use yellow "Discos Grande" from Goya.

WTF says I. I have to use masa and half come out shitty or I'm shitty when I press them. My kids like to put marshmallows inside but I love spicy as hell hamburger meat (habanero) in my little dough tasties.:gotroasted:

10. Toro

Toro Huge member

I have never heard of marshmellow or tuna pastelillos.

I'm going to concoct some manana made with chicken breast strips and cheese.

What about pasteles?

An empty nada what???

11. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

I just love these so much that I thought that I would share the Tuna Epanadilla recipe. This is from The Foods and Wines of Spain by Penelope Casas. I used to live in Madrid and I highly recommend this book for authentic recipes. The only thing that I do differently than stated in the recipe for making the dough is that I divide the dough into balls and flatten them with a roller instead of rolling out the dough and then cutting out circles. By making the balls first and rolling them into rounds, there is no wasted dough. It is the tuna recipe that I use, but she has the recipes for about a dozen different Empanads, Empanadillias and Pasteles.

[​IMG]