1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

So, can we talk SI Krake Raken for a minute?

KCA Sep 3, 2020

1. KCA

KCA Little Member

A1196B01-148A-4374-92F0-4BBB5D217294.jpeg
    Hoping to get some chatter/feedback on this. With the new and improved V2 on the horizon. If the recent Squid Industries Post is accurate there’s an impending BHQ release in just over a week.

My biggest question is, to those that have flipped a krake raken (specifically live blade) is it all like the squidtrainer V3.5 or something totally different? Obviously this is a new version of the krake raken so prior releases will differ somewhat but assuming there are only somewhat minor changes, how does it compare?

Off the bat, from what I’ve heard about the prior release the handle grip must be different as I’ve heard the krake raken is slippery and at least to me, the squidtrainer is far from that.

Aside from grip, is balance similar? How about sound?

I suppose my biggest concern is the grip which they seem to be addressing in this new release.

So, what say ye?

And because all threads need more pics, I’ve included one of my purple dual tone Squidtrainer V3.5 that picked up off Calamari clearance. Still haven’t found the flaw.

P.S. who do you have to know to get in the Facebook groups?

Cheers,

Casey

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    chutcher likes this.
  2. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

and are the handles still aluminum?

Shawnjohn999999 and chutcher like this.
  3. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I have never touched anything from Squid Industries, but I want a Krake Raken. Let us know here if you find out the drop date/time.

Crybaby, KCA and Balibuyer like this.
  4. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Never fooled with any of their stuff but want to....I need to get my youngins some squiddys or something.

5. apdallaround

i ordered two squiddies on the very first drop

they fucked up and only sent one

i contacted them and they shipped the second one out a few days later

they even included a free wiha torx full sized hand tool and some liquids in small dropper bottles

its cool to see all the variations and changes

the squiddy needed a bit more weight on the ‘blade’. obviously they handled that and still offer the original

they were an active member here back in the day

i was never really into trainers enough to get any of theirs otherwise. i’m kinda torn on aluminum handles

i would def try a kraken just to see if it is good. i mean theres lots of praise

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  6. KCA

KCA Little Member

Yes. From what I read they’re sticking with aluminum. Supposedly one of the changes they’re making to the ends will help grip and prevent denting.

I’ve only been flipping inside over carpeting so can’t speak to the durability on my squidtrainer I have but feel wise I really like them. Also sounds pretty good too.

Crybaby likes this.
  7. KCA

KCA Little Member

I will be sure to update here about drop day and time once they post.

I got a black Squiddy for my girls to use. They like it but my younger one prefers my zephyr and squidtrainer because she thinks the squiddy is too toy like. Haha

Not sure if they’re keeping price the same but if it’s close to prior release the kraken seems like a pretty good deal.

Cheers,

Casey

Crybaby and chutcher like this.
  8. QuailWrites

QuailWrites Tiny Member

from the sounds of it they rounded the bottom of the handles and did some additional chamfering so the grip is improved. the knife looks like a fair evolution with a new bushing system that should allow for full tightning (assuming similar to a zeph). I dig it but probably won't be in a hurry to cop

KCA likes this.
  9. chutcher

Same here. I would usually balk at aluminum handles but there is so much praise out there I want to try one. I'm going for one on the drop in the next couple of weeks.

Crybaby, KCA and apdallaround like this.
  10. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

I've got a squid mako. Not good. Balance is off. Cannot tighten. Put it away along time ago. Never again.

Crybaby, KCA, chutcher and 1 other person like this.
  11. KCA

KCA Little Member

I’ve never handled a Mako but the tolerances on my squidtrainer 3.5 seem really good so far. Weight, balance and grip all feel good to me too. Although I’m not doing a whole of tricks just yet so may not be saying much.

However, for the stuff I have been doing I can say I get as much enjoyment flipping it as I do my other nicer knives. Feels easy to control and manipulate. My one issue is the trainer blade design. I’ll sometimes catch my finger in the slits in the blade which doesn’t happen with my zephyr.

My main reason for asking about the kraken and its similarities with the squidtrainer is because I like the trainer so much. If the kraken is somewhat similar/comparable it’d be something I’d definitely be interested in picking up.

At this point I’ll probably try to grab one just to see for myself anyway.

Crybaby, apdallaround and chutcher like this.
  12. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

I have one and I love it. If you get one you will too.

Crybaby, KCA, snakebill and 2 others like this.
  13. bali_n0ob

bali_n0ob JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

https://www.jerzeedevil.com/threads/q-squidtrainer-v3-5-vs-krake-raken.180337/

hope this sheds some light on your questions

Crybaby and KCA like this.
  14. KCA

KCA Little Member

Thank you! Looks like I should have made better use of the search function.

Anyway, I appreciate the link to that thread. Definitely helpful.

If people haven’t seen it yet, Squid Industries posted a video on the V2 on their YouTube channel:

The description has more info and a link to a blog post with comparison pics explaining changes in more detail.

Cheers,

Casey

apdallaround and bali_n0ob like this.
  15. KCA

KCA Little Member

Just got the email on the drop. Clipped info:

Krake Raken V2 Drop
    Please review the following information in regards to this week’s drop on our website:

• Date and Time: Tuesday, September 15th, 9:00 AM PST*
    • Balisongs Available:
    15 Silver Krake Raken Tanto
    15 Red Krake Rake Tanto
    20 Blue Krake Raken Tanto
    20 Black Krake Raken Tanto

15 Inked Silver Krake Rake Tanto
    15 Inked Red Krake Rake Tanto
    15 Inked Blue Krake Rake Tanto
    20 Inked Black Krake Rake Tanto

Total: 135 Units

Cheers,

Casey

bali_n0ob, chutcher and apdallaround like this.
  16. chutcher

The drop is on Tuesday at 9am PST

Edit: I did not notice @KCA already posted drop info until after I posted

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Crybaby and apdallaround like this.
  17. chutcher

I have never seen a bail sell out so fast on BHQ. Their site was sooooo slow during the drop today. I had one in my cart but it was gone by the time I was able to check out. Oh well... I'll see if I can snag one next go round.

Crybaby, KCA, bali_n0ob and 1 other person like this.
  18. apdallaround

do you have info and cc preloaded?

i completely forgot but curious if i would have had the deepspeed

Crybaby, KCA and chutcher like this.
  19. chutcher

Yup, sure did. I have never missed a drop before and I was on point. I could not believe how slow BHQ was. It was really slammed. I have seen it slow before on BRS drops, but nothing like this.

Shawnjohn999999, Crybaby, KCA and 2 others like this.
  20. bali_n0ob

bali_n0ob JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

yeah, I was refreshing the screen and I could literally see as the inventory was updating on the site 1 by 1, I was lucky enough to cop one though but I was afraid bc the site was getting slammed with requests cause you know everyone was refreshing like mad men

Crybaby, chutcher and KCA like this.