1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

So about that whole Ano rubbing off thing...

twirl Apr 4, 2014

1. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

So after receiving an email from someone who shall go unnamed, something finally clicked. This person thought that his Tempest had quite a poor splotchy ano job, but after giving it a wipe with alcohol/windex, the ano was looking perfect.

I remember some folks were concerned that titanium anodizing "rubs off easily". The science behind it is that the anodizing oxide layer is just changing the way the light reflects off it, giving the colors.

But if you put something like oils from your fingers, etc, you can change the look. Some shades of bronze can turn to purple, and dark purple and blue can look like silver.. or it..rubbing off!

See the picture below:

[​IMG]

This is a pretty oily Tempest handle that is cleaned on one side. This effect is probably more pronounced on some types of textured handles, such as BB's that have satin lines, or the Tempest with face milled lines.

Now, what is definitely true about anodizing wear is that it does scratch easily. The oxide layer, while much harder than Ti itself, is also very thin. So it's holds up very poorly to abrasion against hard objects.

papercut likes this.
  2. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

Still happy with my "Silver" Tempest anyway :thumbsup:

3. Frickbot

Frickbot Does not compute

If someone is going to drop that kind of money on a knife I'd hope they already knew how to care for it.

4. Bill T

Bill T Snatch Boogie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Wash your hands!!!!

Ya dirty Mofo's!!!

5. Ronlad

Ronlad Vox Diabolus Administrator

This guy has a LOT of faith in humanity!!!!! :jdwink2: :bwah: :bwah: :bwah: :bwah:

6. Frickbot

Only because you exist:jdwink2:

7. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Ie don't put ano'd balis in your pocket with your keys.

Made this mistake with my dogbite.

8. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

Kydex fucks up ano

9. Ryanol

Oh well a little smeared lipstick just means she's an itty bit slutty.

10. papercut

papercut KILLACANE JDBA Official Member

What kind of idiot wouldn't know that?:ropeman:
    Must be some newbie.

OnceBitten, Glenn and PS-RagE like this.
  11. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Just wiped mine with alcohol, it's still light in some places (this from being my main flipper). I tried to keep it wiped down but you can only prevent so much when you handle it every day. Along with having some superficial scratches.
    Regardless, I'm still very happy with mine and I'm sure Jerry would be happy to re-furbish it (I'm totally willing to pay for it) in about a year or so.
    Make no mistake, the tempest is BUILT TO LAST

12. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Shoulda just made them all "silver". Let people ano it themselves...problem solved.

But then there will be criticism from lack of variety.

***Somebody will complain that the new trainer isn't sharp enough...bet on it

13. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

a wise man once told me.. " you could wrap up a brick of gold and put it in a BladeRunnerS box and someone would complain: its too heavy! its too yellow! I thought it would larger! I wanted it to be smaller! its too GOLD! "...

when you have to make decisions that effect a product thats not based on luxury of the one on one relationship of a full custom you must choose a broader palate to attempt to satisfy a large customer base. IMHO not offering anodizing would have been worse then educating a few people on how to maintain it.

best-
    Loosey

14. Ryanol

BTW the why isn't it a live blade started already on the trainer thread.

15. Dead-On

Dead-On Grateful Member JDBA Official Member

Let this be a lesson to all you people who fenlore your knives...

16. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Well I certainly don't expect folks who own the knives to know every last detail about it. But I did see quite a few concerns in the beginning about anodizing rubbing off, and it was not until I got heavily involved in the process did I realize what the "quirks" were with oils and stuff.

The Tempest was originally supposed to be all anodized electric blue, hence the "Tempest" name.

The bronze came in later because I think its an awesome "gentleman's pick" and there are a few other colors and things because I enjoy seeing variations. We all do, which is evident in the AB mutants and customized productions from MC and others. The silver Tempest was offered by demand.

17. AradOnRadar

AradOnRadar Huge member

can I send back my gold brick for you to ano it? :ropeman:

18. Frickbot

Mine is too gold. I wonder if they will regold it

Also I need to sue BRS as I've cut myself on the knife they've manufactured which I in turn bought and proceeded to whip around like a ninja with carpal tunnel. It's not my fault I'm retarded.

19. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

The demands of the knife community:

This is why I am seen as "maker friendly". I have seen and heard a lot on the other side of a knife show table and it is a surreal experience what (admittedly a minority of) people expect for their money.

People using knives as pry bars, balis being dropped on concrete, knives being thrown like a circus act at a dart board... these are just a few of the things I have heard people say they do and expect the maker to "make it right" despite the obvious.

If a makers work is not up to par, I will say so, tho usually I just keep it to myself unless asked... If a makers work is quality but priced more than I think its worth, then I don't buy it. If a makers work is quality and priced what I think its worth then I buy it. And if its undervalued, I try to scream it from the roof tops.
    :thumbsup:

20. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

Pfffff Jerry told me personally about the oil problem.

NAME DROPPPINNNN AWWWWWW FIZZY

for real tho if he didn't I probably would have done the same thing :ropeman: