1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Sniper Bladeworks New Hatchet

Sniper Bladeworks Lance Dec 4, 2009

1. Sniper Bladeworks Lance

Sniper Bladeworks Lance knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Here are some pics of the new hatchet we have been working on. It is approx. 18" in OAL with a 4 3/4" head with hammer. It has a pry tip, OD green Gun-Kote and double cord wrap on the handle. Jody forged this guy from a track pin and I really like the size and how it turned out. We may do a few more of these in the future so please let us know what you think and what you would like to see us do with this project.
    Be safe,
    Lance

2. deth moad ue

deth moad ue Huge member

I really like the looks of this -- most hatchets i see are just about 14 in. long -- so this is a better size IMO!

I'd like to see something with a slightly longer cutting area...i cant tell how thick the hammer is with the angles provided, but a good thick one is also awesome.

As for the cord wrap -- is it just wound around, or are there holes dropped in the hatchet to wind it through? If there aren't holes, i'd recommend some -- that way ppl can anchor the cord easily if they need/want to change it -- or they can mount scales if they want.

I like this hachet a lot!

3. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

Looks functional.

4. Tom v S

Tom v S Dutch Devil

I like the shape! Looks very functional. Only the cordwrap looks a bit loose, but it's hard to judge the function on picture. Maybe a Micarta or G10 handle would be nice?

Merry Christmas,

Tom

5. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

I'll go with this. Lookin good!:ssmile:

6. Oliver Mendl

Oliver Mendl Black Forest Devil

hi,

nice tool!

i would like to know wich steel you used ( you mentioned it's forged from a track pin, so it's a carbon-steel, not stainless right? any idea what steel exactly?), if possible please post a picture that shows the view right on the edge and it's geometry. and i want to know, if this is actually supposed to be a blunt-force destruction tool, or if it can be used to chop some firewood, carve some splinters ie.

thank you very much and greetings,
    olli

7. Sniper Bladeworks Lance

Hey guys, thanks for checking out the hatchet. Here are a few quick answers to some of the posts.

The handle is double cord wrapped to give it a bit more girth. We did not put any holes in the handle but that is a good idea and would help hold the wrap in place.

I am not positive but I think the pin was 4160 carbon steel. That was the answer we got from a friend of ours who teaches metallurgy here in town.

The hammer head is just under a 1/2". The hatched head tapers from just over a 1/4" evenly down to the cutting edge. This one is sharper than the ax we made for Blade last year, which was more of an entry tool.

I don't have any more pics of the hachet. I will post pics from the angles suggested on the next one.

Thanks again for looking at our gear and taking the time to post.
    Be safe,
    Lance

8. Oliver Mendl

Oliver Mendl Black Forest Devil

thanks for your answers lance! sounds great, i might need one .... ;)

greetings,

olli

9. McGyver

McGyver Persistent Bastard

If you ever need someone to do a torture test, let me know...:madaddy:

10. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Lance, did you guys flat-grind this or give it a convex grind? I like it, a lot. Handles of a textured G10 or Micarta in the offing perhaps?

11. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Two things:

I cannot believe you haven't gotten a subforum yet (DO NOT listen to Parker, he is not that good at forum stuff)

That pack needs a JD patch- shoot me an address ASAP

:)

Ron LaBella

12. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

I like the length and the fact that there is not a spike on the back. Cool useful design.

13. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have no idea what is going on in subforumland, and apparently neither do a lot of devils.

I've said it before Ron, if it's in SubForumLand, a lot of us just don't travel there a lot.

14. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

A lot= You. FYI

:bot:

Nice chopper, let's see some action pics!

15. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

I will add that while a lot may not, quite a lot do.....but we could always use more. Damnit we need to give something away again down there.

16000 posts and counting.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  16. Sniper Bladeworks Lance

Will do, thanks.
    Be safe,
    Lance

17. Sniper Bladeworks Lance

Hey Parker, the hatchet is flat ground. Thanks for checking it out. I hope all is well. We are going to be at the St. Louis show Jan 23 & 24 if you are not busy.
    Be safe,
    Lance