1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

:tiny:
    :manganr:

seandavid55 likes this.
  2. bpetty

bpetty Tiny Member

It will be interesting to see how much this devalues the Smallfly v1. Due to a different blade, it may not be much.
    However, I am worried about scams. If they release a v2 in S.S., someone will probably throw a v1 blade from a G10 on it and try to pass it off as a v1 SS. Those are going around $350 right now. That assumes their handles are identical to those of the v1.

3. Dyngus

Dyngus JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Sheesh haven't been on this forum in a while, the Smallfly 2 brought me back to see what you all were saying about it. I agree it is a tad ugly, but I preordered it swiftly and plan to use it as an EDC. Mucking up the blade might make the odd grind and spyderhole look less odd, I'll just tell people it's a family heirloom that's been reground so many times that it lost its profile haha.

Balibuyer and seandavid55 like this.
  4. Stevo5657!

Stevo5657! Little Member

Spyderco smallfly 2 are now available for preorder for 5 dollars down from blade hq. 205 due when they come in stock. Went ahead and preordered kind of pricey but i like spyderco knives most likely use for edc. Anyone have the first smallfly ?

5. ScottG

ScottG JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I like it, I preordered it on BHQ for a couple of reasons

1. I like flat blade grinds. I may try to shave my beard with it as dumb as that sounds
    2. I had a smallfly in the past but sold it because I would always cut myself on the tip since it is so short. I feel I need to man up and practice so I don't get cut.
    3. I love edc'ing my spyderfly with the tapered handles since it fits very nicely on my belt loop with the pocket clip, and I can draw it easily with the holes + [From personal reasearch I found that] in my home state a knife with a blade < 4in from tip to tang is considered a pocketknife and it seems like it is almost never considered a weapon
    4. Hole in blade seems cool but idk.

6. rock3r4life

rock3r4life Sir shtablington

I am amazed they have a name for it.

7. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

If i put a hole in a blade on an assisted knife, can I patent an "Asshole" ?

8. rock3r4life

rock3r4life Sir shtablington

love it.

9. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

As long as it isn't round. Spyderco has the patent on ALL round holes in ALL knives. Oval, square, rectangle, penile, boobular (?),etc. are open for you to grab one.... :manganr:

apdallaround and seandavid55 like this.
  10. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Good to know.

apdallaround likes this.
  11. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Any time you see a round hole in a blade, the maker has either paid Spyderco a royalty, gotten permission from them by some other means, or they're risking a potential patent infringement lawsuit from Spyderco. They sued several manufacturers over the years (since the patent was issued in 1981).

Now ya know why knives have oval or other shaped thumbholes. That also may help explain why Spyderco puts round holes in blades that don't need holes at all... like fixed blades and balis... :tardclap:

12. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

dang someone needs to make a hole shaped like a dick

/enter my makers mark

Shawnjohn999999 and crogers like this.
  13. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

"Put your finger in the hole and you have control!" XD

rock3r4life likes this.
  14. subtlemovement

I have to say, I'm a fan of the V2! I had a mint V1 and sold it to Nicky and never looked back. I always thought the blade profile looked too much like a squat shortsword. I like Spyderco's full flat grinds, and this looks like a great EDC option with said grind and the nice little finger choil/guard. And the hole gives it that classic Spyderco "yeah we put a hole there, bitch" look. Just like they do on their fixed blades...and kitchen knives...and AXES, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. :D
    It kinda looks like the balance will be a little shitty. But I'll be damned if I'm not gonna try to get some good flips out of it.

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  15. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

now if only they'd make a full size

16. subtlemovement

Seriously.

17. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

Subtle back in the mix. Alright.