1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Shrike OTF by Scott M. Topper

ScottMTopper Jun 22, 2019

1. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

This video was made in order to serve as instructions when servicing the Shrike, it turned out showcasing a lot of other features in the process. Until I can upload quality photos on the latest changes i will use it as an intro to what I'm attempting to accomplish. Thank you in advance for killing 20 minutes of your existence and all feedback is appreciated.

apdallaround and BennytheBlade like this.
  2. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

This is a shot of the new Bas-relief engraving of a Shrike skull surrounded with briars. It has magnets top and bottom for closure and will be velvet with braded leather trim.
    upload_2019-6-22_19-26-42.jpeg

And before i forget, i will include a short video of a brief description of the little terror himself.

3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

That is amazing! Beautiful knife, I love the mechanism and engineering behind it.

Victoria Topper likes this.
  4. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

Thank you for that Apdallaround

apdallaround likes this.
  5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Yep, thats a serious piece of kit. Looks like a great fix for blade play.

Victoria Topper and apdallaround like this.
  6. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

So today and the next 5 probably, I'm attempting to get these designs off the screen and into some metal. I use AEB-L, it's a little rough to work with since i cut everything dry (no coolant system). I chose AEB-L for the end user, it's a crucible stainless mainly use in almost all the razor blades we shave with due to the micro-grain structure which allows for such a fine edge. The heat treat must be done by someone with access to cryogenic equipment in order to get the quench right. It allows for 61 HR + hardness and I prefer around 63, AEB-L retains a moderate amount of flexibility at that hardness where as a lot of other steels become too brittle for hard use.

upload_2019-6-26_18-13-10.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

upload_2019-6-26_18-23-17.png

apdallaround likes this.
  8. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

And their blurry as hell... Any and all tips on posting the right extensions and file sizes are welcome.

apdallaround likes this.
  9. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

Comes out to around 40 feet of engraving for each side of this blade, as of now I run thru 5 (60 deg single flute carbide engraving) tools per side due to going over it 3 times to get crisp cuts. Absolutely worth it now that I'm seeing results. In the near future I will send one of the finished knives to Jim Cooper for photos. If you haven't seen Jim's work look up "SharpByCoop" on any of the social media platforms or look for his name under most pics in Blade mag, could really use his set up right now.

apdallaround likes this.
  10. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

Been out of the country for the past couple weeks (still am) with garbage internet so I just watched this. I really love to see innovation in OTFs and this truly is innovative.

11. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Jim Cooper is well-known here. This is the J to the M’funkin’ D, yo.

obi

12. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

I thank you for that Brian.