1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Should I trade my folders for more balis

Raoul Duke May 15, 2013

1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

have collected quite a few balis over the years...

[​IMG]

I used to like folders...But now I buy mainly balisongs I wonder if there is really a place for these folders in my collection....

I mean I like them, but i have lots of folders that work just fine for edc and people don't raise their eyebrows at so much, but TBH I always have a Bali on me anyway instead of a folder nowadays...

So these folders spend alot of time in the box now...its not like they can be flipped which Is what I like to do now, and as far as hard use the balis I have them stacked them up against IMHO are probably as tough.

[​IMG]

and fuck knows what's going on with my pics....fucking I pad.....:pissedevil:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  2. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

Trade your folders and Ipad for a laptop :manganr:

If your not collecting or using these folders they are just sitting there gathering dust. I say its time to reinvest.

3. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

Investing in a laptop is probably not a great idea considering that they never hold any value... I don't see how this the question though :ross:

To the OP, if I had a bunch gathering dust I would sort them into ones you want to keep and are irreplaceable if sold and the other group as ones that you really don't need or use anymore. Should prevent some regret down the road a bit :thumbsup:

4. sawjaws

sawjaws JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I always keep a few folders handy, because there is always places where Bali's are not permitted and I just don't want to take that chance of getting them confiscated!

5. krhen

krhen Huge member

Folders schmolders :manganr:

1. not as cool to show off with friends
    2. not nearly as sexy, exotic and downright interesting
    3. develops dexterity (and a tolerance for blood loss)
    4. no long heritage of origin & historic growth
    5. not nearly as illegal... oh wait...

Dump 'em :thumbsup:

Or at least move up to exotics like this:
    View attachment 103941
    Bias warning: Sorry personally I loathe folders :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  6. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Reinvest...but make sure to keep the ones you truly like..

7. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Post pics, give me the cool stuff! :manganr: :jdwink2: :bwah: :ropeman: :devilcorn:

8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

I can't post pics....:bwah: That's the f'in problem....

9. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

Listen to this man........ a life without regrets is a accomplished fantastic life :yuna:

10. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I hear you. I collect all kind of knives and up until a few weeks a had much more then I do now. Traded, sold and so on.
    In my opinion it's just as you like it right now. Generally I'm not a friend of "dusty" knives lying around, nevertheless I also got some just for collecting them.
    Now about those balis. Mh, if you feel you never ever gonna need those folders, then give them away.
    I try to keep it mixed up, folders, fixed, otf and balis. But sometimes one is enough. Just got one otf left and probably will keep it.
    A few months ago I purchased a unused Bm 42, thought I will flip it. Instead it was so shiny and new that it was just lying around, so I sold it last week. It is beautiful and the channeled handles are amazing, but I think, well I better get the money for it and do whatever I like with it.
    Sometimes I'm still crying over the 42, but it depends if you're collecting, using, or doing both.

Just do as your gut is telling you, most of the times you can't be wrong.

11. knifezoid

knifezoid Bladerunners Systems -=BRS=- Knife Maker or Craftsman

In my opinion you should if they're just sitting there in a safe then it's not contributing
    to your knife enjoying experience. Obviously some will sit in a safe,
    drawer, while it waits to make its way into the EDC orientation or EDF
    orientation. But if it's been a long, long time I think it's better to trade
    for something that will re-spark that excitement we all get when we
    get a new knife. That's the whole point isn't it?

I do have certain knives that I don't use or flip that much but still keep
    for sentimental reasons or just because I'm truly proud to own them.

But if the folders you are talking about don't fall into that category then
    by all means trade up!

12. accurate

accurate Accurate Devil JDBA Official Member

I started collecting custom folders 12 years ago, a loooooong time before I got seriously interested in balis. For the last 2 or 3 years I have bought probably 7 balis for every folder, but now I find myself moving back to folders as my main focus.

Long story short, if you like them, keep them. Your interests in a particular type of knife may come and go, but it will always be there to some degree. Unless you really need the $$$$ I don't see any reason to part with something you might have trouble replacing.

13. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Traitor...:jdwink2:

accurate likes this.
  14. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

I say go for it man. I like trading so much better than having a few hundred dollars just sitting there unloved. You can trade up or down and possibly get anything out of it.

Lord knows I will be looking for your for sale/trade thread. I need me a nice custom folder for my fancy/special/your a man be a man edc days. And I actually have a Bali or two I don't want anymore. I am just speculating on them. Speculation is way harder when you don't care for the knife to hold on to it long enough.

Hmm actually I should do some spring cleaning

15. Chris_Himself

Chris_Himself Bay Area Devil Alliance

Knives are knives and I like what I like, when I like it.

Right now I'm on a folder kick and I cannot do another balisong spare for that Guinn coming up if it turns out I am meant to have one.

In fact even the folders have been slowing down. I just enjoy chatting and taking pics moreso than buying/selling these days... my latest passion is guns, and getting ones I'm not meant to have in the lovely confederacy that is California.

16. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

I collect both...I like knives in general. I don't have very many fixed blades though, just a few. I hate getting rid of any of mine! #knifehoarderdontgiveafuck

17. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I like all kinds of knives balisongs supersede all else , i buy when i can, mostly trade nowadays and i sell when my nuts are in a vice.....

18. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

James I have a resolve for you, just send them to me.

Glad to be of assistance. :thumbsup:

19. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Keep those folders. Tastes are like the ebb and flow of the oceans. Sometimes folders, sometimes fixed, all the time balis. But you never know when you'll want a good folder - and those are good folders.

20. towel28

towel28 Level: True Devil

I didn't get into bali's until recently, I started collecting anything sharp and pointy..I have swords and folders, but when I got my first bali, it was different beast I could play with it! that convinced me what was more important