1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Short Sword Recomendations...

Raoul Duke Dec 11, 2012

1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

I moved house recently and one of the many things I had to move was my 10 year olds toy samurai/ ninja'esque sword....As I took it to the car it seemed about the perfect length between very big knife or short sword....I thought to myself I need some thing this size to play with...only in steel :manganr: ...I'm guessing it had about an18 inch blade....more or less...

So do any of you guys and gals have any short swords or long knives that you think may fit the bill....OR have any recomendations...?

2. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Recommendations? Sure -

Bark River Golok
    Mad Dog Khyber
    12-inch machete (start HERE)

18-inches is a LOT of blade.

I have one of the ESEE-rehandled machetes somewhere. I like the handle a lot, and the blade seems ok. But if you plan on "playing ninja" with it, 18 inches is a lot of blade for starting out.

And if I were starting out with it, while a Mad Dog Saxon or Blackjack/ Bark River Northwind are about as cool as you can get in that realm, they are pricey and dangerous as hell to the novice.

Get yourself a $25-30 machete and play at swinging that around, making sure you know where the edge is at all times, and hang a 4x4 from a bungee cord top and bottom. Whack this around some, and you'll see if you want to spend more money on a large blade, and it also is a great feedback tool about your swing and cut.

I'm VERY comfortable with a 10-12 inch blade, but a sharp 18-incher when used as a "sword" and not simply as a machete can be a very scary thing. Patience, going SLOW and having enough room to do this are very important keys with larger knives.

The next house will either have a dedicated wood frame in the back yard, or at least an uncluttered garage so I can hang the 4x4 without fear of hacking up other stuff in the garage or bashing the blade against a vise, refrigerator or gas can :devilzeek

3. KaOsBlAkBlAdE

KaOsBlAkBlAdE Huge member JDBA Official Member

Zombie tools

When i saw short sword, this was the first thing i thought of
    http://zombietools.net/
    Great looks, wild style and excellent HT on their blades.
    Not sure what you were looking to spend, but some of their shorter stuff is epic. I have the spit and love the fuck out of it. I had a chance to handle the apokatana too, and for what they are, they're awesome.

make sure to see the YT destruction test too.

4. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Give Earl a call at Hellfire Forge!
    EBlackmore here on the JD.

5. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Cold Steel Barongs come in 12-inch and 18-inch blades (I have a 12-incher), and are often found for cheap on the secondary market. Decent steel & heat treat. I reprofiled mine to a convex edge, it now cuts like six motherfuckers.... :thumbsup:

rudechuck likes this.
  6. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

I have always thought a Golok from Bark River is a must have...that I don't have.

Interesting to hear a frank admission that killing with knives is scary. It is hard to imagine the sight and sound and smell of a battlefield of old when 1000s fought 1000s with big knives. Yikes.

obi

7. Raoul Duke

I will have to measure how long the toy sword was that my son has when I get home...(3 weeks or so)...

Maybe it is a touch less than 18"...And I take what you say onboard very seriously...But you are right...:) I do just want to play ninja with it...:bwah: (Hey I grew up in the 80's...Or should I say started to grow up...dont think i'm quite there yet...)

The Golok looks to be V-good...Seem to be alot of fun & a serious bit of kit... I had seen them before, but I am looking for something a little more pointy...

The Kyber looks to be aserious bit of kit...

You probably right though...maybe I should go get a cold steel machettte or something similar and dick about with that for a bit...and work on learning how to sharpen a bigger blade...

Now you got me searching for Machettes :)

Was hoping for something with a bit more of a guard on it and a ground blade, not just a ground bevel on a flat blade....(dont know why...I guess its the big kid in me...)

8. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

I just looked at the Zombie recommendation. Maybe this is not so bad, given what you are looking at doing with it.

That Apocalyptic Katana might be just your thing. Hell, I would love to have a Bark River North Wind...always have loved that Ork killer.

obi

9. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Northwind, FTW!!! :thumbsup: :chuck: :jdwink2: :yuna:

10. Parker

Northstar is a bushcraft knife with a 4 inch blade, Ron. You're only 14 inches too short, sorta like at Coney Island :manganr:

11. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

[​IMG]
    MOB

[​IMG]
    Rick Barrett :devilzeek:yuna:

i'm pretty psycho about this one, not the full 18 inches , but is has a 2 handed grip

[YOUTUBE]EaWUQXx7u9w[/YOUTUBE]

12. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

What mate? :ropeman: :jdwink2: :bwah:

13. kizuf

kizuf czechee ďábel JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

MOB :thumbsup:

Haha, I totally understand, I got this one in trade so I can 'play ninja', though my gf doesn't understand why I would want it. :bwah:
    It's a longer one though
    total length: 730mm
    blade thickness: 5.5mm

View attachment 98553
    (maker's pic)
    View attachment 98554
    (previous owner pic)

14. Raoul Duke

The Zombie peices do look pretty fancy...but the marketing doesn't sit right with me...I cant get my head round the Zomie thing...But thanks for the suggestions

I took a look at Earls site...he makes some interesting stuff...

I do like the look of the North wind Fo Sho...but its a little long...? also dont see to many for sale ATM....I will research further...

That Rick Barret sword looks amaising...I'm imagine its pricey...darent even look/ search for one...

The cold steel barong will get bought if I can find one ...but I think it will probably be the start of a slippery slope...

Thanks for all the suggestions...!!!

15. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

Martindale machetes .... made in the UK :thumbsup:

but if you really must ... Cold Steel 2 handed Katana machete :devilroll: :bwah:

BTW .. I would save my money and buy MORE balisongs :thumbsup:

16. EBlackmore

EBlackmore Hellfire Forge Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ive got a medium sized clay tempered katana blade sitting here that the clay seperated close to the base during the quench and made a sorta fugly looking hamon but is otherwise a sound piece of 1095 that I could hilt up and let go for cheap since its been sitting here forever and would make a nice backwoods ninja shrub killer. Blades around 25 inches but could be cut back and made shorter. Heres a link to the vid of it being quenched. http://www.myspace.com/earl_blackmore/videos/katana-quench/57372209

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  17. Parker

The Zombie shit - for those who can't find enough imaginary enemies in the world, they had to invent them. I liken it to IL voters. Not knowing what they do, not caring....

Bark River Northwind - I think it was 18/19 inches of blade, BUT in a package which felt smaller than that. The Golok can be had with a point, and it is of a size which is PORTABLE. I can tell you from my own use with it that it WILL remove an arm or a leg if you're competent with it. I've not cut any arms or legs off with it, but the stuff I have cut thru with it is a lot harder to cut thru.

I did leave Martin Olexy's stuff off, which was silly of me. MO makes a killer large blade and he is around the JD as well. Purpose-designed pieces for fun and frolic.

Get the CS Barong. Play with it. Be careful. And enjoy it. You'll be back for another large blade, and when that happens you'll have a better idea of hat you really want.

And for the Zombie crowd - I kid, I kid. I love you guys.....

[video=youtube;L6aA3fiwTs0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aA3fiwTs0[/video]

18. KaOsBlAkBlAdE

I made the suggestion for the ZOMBIE SHIT, because their blades seemed to meet the users requirements.
    Good blade for whackin shit
    Shorter and available with full guards (removable)
    totally tactical build
    Craaazy durability
    and a finish unlikely to show the abuse of a "polished" piece.

now, because i suggested their product, doesn't mean i buy into their schpiel. The zombie apocalypse is farcical if ya ask me, and i find it silly what it has become. I also find it silly that someone overlook a product because of the mention of zombies in their marketing. I know (and hope most others do too) that there wont be any zombie killing getting done with their blades, as much as i know that our "survival" knives wont be used for survival, our "fighting" knives for fighting and our butterfly knives for killing butterflies.

on a side note, that Barrett blade is awesome looking.
    The last time i looked into a Barrett Katana, the price was over 10k, so i looked elsewhere, but god do i want one of his before i die.

Raoul Duke likes this.
  19. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Zombies? :ropeman:

Busse makes a good sword.

[​IMG]

20. KaOsBlAkBlAdE

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012