1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Short sword and matching knife.

Galloglas Nov 25, 2007

1. Galloglas

Galloglas knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I haven't shown much stuff here and being as these pieces will be the last for likely some time I thought I'd pop 'em up for your opinions. Both pieces are 5160 steel....the knife is differentially heat treated to show a hamon and the short sword was heat treated to produce a Bainitic structure. So, the sword has no hamon but is ultra tough.

[​IMG]

The sword is about 15" in blade length and knife about 4". All of the mounting components, polish, blades and such were made by me in my shop. There is no sheath for the knife as it is intended to be displayed on a little stand that is still in progress. The sword features black lacquered rayskin and the knife has black dyed skin...both are wrapped in a purple paracord wrap that is potted (impregnated) with epoxy.

[​IMG]

The sheath (saya) for the sword is poplar wood and finished with hand rubbed epoxy. The tying cord and menuki (the ornament under the wrap on the handle) were purchased from Fred Lohman company. The sword features a pseudo traditional mount with inletted wood core handle that is overwrapped with cord and can be dismounted via a bamboo pin. The knife handle is inletted wood overwrapped with cord but permanently attached to the knife body via epoxy.

Please enjoy.

Brian

Peter Lezard likes this.
  2. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Lookin' real good!!!:jdwink2::jdwink2::mack::mack:

3. dfarmerknives

dfarmerknives Tattoo Man says Knife Maker or Craftsman

Damn, that is a sweet combo!

4. Joe Whalen

Joe Whalen knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Very nice, I would love to see better pictures of the sword.

5. Brandon McKinley

Brandon McKinley Haidou Plouton

Shiny..... Very nice stuff....

6. Galloglas

Yeah, I should have taken the time to get some better pictures of the completed project. Life has taken a turn on me and I'm actually liquidating the cutlery business. So, I'm kinda bummed and really didn't expend a lot of energy yesterday on pictures. I *do* have some pictures I shot as documentation during the construction of this sword and have included them below without comment.

The construction pictures kinda speak for themselves and give a btter view of the blade and some of the various components.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all that I have of this particular piece...none are really all that good but they give a good overall idea of the blade and how it's all put together.

Hope yer not on dial up....I liked the purple paracord so much that I did a handle of an existing katana the same way. I lacquered the ray skin black and potted the paracord. It turned out real nice as well.

Brian

7. Joe Whalen

Joe Whalen knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Those pics are better. It looks really nice!
    I hope you can get back to it someday, but it's a shame you have to sell your equipment now.

8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

looks nice! REAL nice

9. Galloglas

Hey, thanks for all the nice comments! :manganr:

I'll probably keep all my equipment. I'm hoping that on the odd occasion I'll have the urge and time to make a piece or two just like in the old days...for fun and for self graitification. I'll need the equipment to maintain my training gear and personal weapons as I intend to keep my spot at the dojo and continue to train swordsmanship when I can.

Depending on what kind of job I find (if I ever find another job...) I'm hoping I'll at least be able to get a good workout a couple times a week. And selling the stuff I have would probably net me about $100 so I'm keeping the tools as long as I have a place to store them.

I this stuff was some of the last few pieces I had in the shop that I can finish and sell. I have a couple more knives and a tactical short sword and if I get time I'll finish them and show some pix round.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Brian

10. Mr.LaBella

Show ME your short sword ( did I just say that aloud?) :evilness:

11. Galloglas

Here's the updated pix of my long, long, long, sword. :cadi:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just finished the handle upgrade and the sword should ship Monday to it's new home. The blade/mount was an existing piece that I upgraded the handle to get it sold. Featured a beautiful blade by Randal Graham that I polished and mounted originally 2 years ago.

There are decent pix of this sword on my site at: http://home.mchsi.com/~galloglas/RHGMtFujiTachi.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

silenthunterstudios likes this.
  12. johlvlvy

johlvlvy Huge member

Your work is stunning.
    One question though, why was the short sword heat treated for bainite and not martensite?

13. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

Awsome work!!

14. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

Whoe...that is all I can muster...just whoe... :bow:

Edit...I had to walk away from this, and gather myself...I never thought purple would work on a katana or a waki, but I like both of those very much. If I wasn't totaly broke-ass, I would try to buy something from you to help you out. Please don't give up dude. You have talent, and it would be a shame. Have a good night!

Pete :)

15. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

Damn

16. Mr.LaBella

I agree! :jdwink2:

17. Galloglas

Bainitic and mixed structure blades ( we call them "staged phase"...) have a performance aspect that appeals to me as a practitioner/teacher of sword arts. Quite a few years ago I started playing with blades and found that some blades that are tuned to a particular function (like swords...) are better off being Bainite or a mixed structure of Bainite/Martensite all mixed together.

There seems to be some evidence that has come to light recently that mixed structure blades can actually outperform similar blades of either Bainite or Martensite. My original theory and observations in testing led me in this direction about 10 years ago...that a blade that is roughly a 50/50 mix of Bainite/Martensite has all of the properties of both structures + another percentage of "the good stuff" than a pure Bainite blade or a tempered Martensite blade.

Testing (my testing) shows me that Staged Phase blades tend to be as resistant to breaking and bending as a Bainite blade but at a hardness level that rivals a tempered Martensite blade. This sword:

[​IMG]

....was a tactical style/Staged Phase blade of 5160 and did things that seemingly defied standards and traditional wisdom about sword blades in that it is tough and springy enough to be bent into an arc far beyond where a "normal" tempered Martensite blade would either be permanently bent or even break yet was hard enough to skate a file. A springy and shock resistant blade with all of the edge holding hardness of a blade that sould be way harder than a "normal" sword blade can be...that is, Rockwell C 57-59.

So, I'm a big lover of Bainitic blades and mixed structure.

The wakizashi that started this thread and the staged phase tactical katana ( "Yacho") did things in testing that pleased me very much. Things that cannot be done with tempered Martensite blades. And, yes, I am well aware I am blaspheming the status quo of modern metallurgists and blade makers who feel that tempered Martensite is "as good as it gets" and that Bainite and the mixed structure stuff is flawed or the product of an over active imagination.

And no, I won't argue about it in public. My opinions and heat treat techniques have been developed by making and using swords for nearly 20 years. I can make 'em, use 'em, and I have taught (and been licensed/certified..) others to use them as well. My opinions and the test data I have gathered making and using them is all the verification that I need.

Sorry for the rant.....

ArchAngel likes this.
  18. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

Plus one for Phil. I didn't want to say anything at first about the color, but after looking at the pics, it sets the, um, set. Really nice work.

19. Galloglas

It's nice to be appreciated. You should hold the stuff in the hand...I always strive to make stuff that people love to handle and use. The pictures don't really convey how nice this stuff feels in the hand. They are great tools..the best I can make and there is a lot of passion and fussing involved.

And that's the greatest problem with what I do and have done. Buyers? I have buyers for everything I can possibly make. The problem is that I cannot recover enough money to even pay for what it takes me to do this. Maybe I'm too slow or just not organized properly *but* a sword like that wakizashi takes me and entire week to polish. The mount including the carving of the wood and the wrapping and the inlay of the skin and making the fittings and patinating the steel? Takes me another week. Scabbard and all the fine tuning and finishing (and making the copper habaki...the collar that holds the blade in the scabbard) takes another week or so.

Total hours? Maybe 120 - 150 and that doesn't include grinding belts, lacquer, glue, steel, fuel. At even $10 an hour I have to get $1500 for a sword like that...long swords? I gotta get $3600 to break even. The knives come out a lot faster *but* all the work is hand work and one-off sole authorship.

I can sell everything I make ( I *have* sold everything I made...) but it cannot keep me fed and in health insurance. I can't make a living at it even at the poverty level. So I have to go back to a day job and that means (in the modern times...) 50 to 60 hours a week. And that leaves no time to do what I love which is make cutlery and train swordsmanship. With a little luck I'll find a job that alows me to continue part time at making the knives and swords. But that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

I do so appreciate your appreciation. I do it 'cause it's been cool as hell and if I survive to retirement age I *will* be making as much of this stuff as I can until I die. But for now?

The 21st century is not supportive of artists or passionate cutlers no matter how much talent or desire they have. I gotta work and earn my way and that means doing whatever it takes to put bread on the table. I love making the cutlery and will always make a piece or two even if it's with a file, 10 minutes a day before bedtime. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a job that can keep us fed *and* get me in the shop every evening.

Maybe I'll get lucky. If not, I have made some really cool stuff and I'm a happy and satisfied guy. Some folks never get the chance to do what they love and have others appreciate it like you Devilz have appreciated it. It means a lot to me to be showing what may potentially be the last stuff I get to make.

It means a lot..all the nice comments. Fowler was right. This is a really nice place to hang out and belong.
    :jdsmokin:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  20. johlvlvy

johlvlvy Huge member

Not at all, this is very interesting to me. I'm so glad I'm taking a materials class.
    Have you ever tried a martensite cutting edge with pearlite back?