1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Short range report - AR-15 Slide Fire stock

Sheldon_Wickersham Jun 15, 2014

1. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

After our wet and rainy Defensive Pistol match yesterday, I headed over to the covered firing line rifle range to try out my new $200 Slide Fire 'bump-fire' AR-15 stock.

View attachment 119876

Having recently run several select-fire AR and H&K configurations at our single stage Friday night indoor matches, I was pretty comfortable keeping the bursts on target and at around three rounds.

This was what I was hoping for with the Slide Fire stock, and once past the unusual forward pushing aspect, was completely successful. The first few tries, however, were awkward, with between one and four rounds fired. Four rounds lifts the POA/POI off target.

Instructions with the stock advise to keep the trigger finger across the trigger, resting on the stock's built in finger rest; this is not necessary, and was in fact almost impossible due to my short finger length. Again, it wasn't necessary, and is probably just CYA BS on the manufacturer's part.

A little over half way through the first magazine three-round bursts on target were a breeze; the second magazine was all three round bursts. I couldn't be happier. That said, today I went looking for a stubbie fore grip and found & ordered this one, along with some 40 rnd Magpul magazines.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Vertical-Foregrip-Shorty-2p15289.htm#.U53jitXnaM8

Now, to go find a short Picatinny rail piece to mount in the lower hand guard.

Anyone else here have experience with a Slide Fire stock? After watching some Youtube videos, I figured it might all be hype, but with little financial risk, thought I'd give it a shot - I'm glad I did...

2. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Found they were inconsistent, poorly made and quite the hype way of wasting ammo.
    Also found that with training I could simulate the action with trigger presses and accurate shots, so all in all I personally wouldn't spend the money.
    Glad it worked out for you, it doesn't for most.

scott308 likes this.
  3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i've seen videos about them aswell. truth be told if you get your foregrip and trigger pressure correct you can supposedly bump fire without that stock.

i did just grab a 420 of xm855 off bulkammo the other week but i dont like wasting ammo

really surprised its legal, is it hard to control?

4. Sheldon_Wickersham

Hard to control? Not at all. As said above, a little awkward at first; then, not so much.

Mike, thanks. Agreed, it's not for monkey's with a hammer; then again, maybe it is. I was only looking for three round burst capability, that's all I wanted. It'll do three round bursts.

The bottom line is that I bought the Bushmaster fluted HB upper w/BCG for $365 delivered twenty years ago during the AWB period when many retailers were dumping everything they had at cost - then sat on it until recently.

Last year I bought a new, complete SI Defense lower, SN 00004x (one of the early in-spec ones that worked) with CMMG internals and Stag Arms plastic parts, guaranteed, for $120, locally, from the owner of McGowan Precision Barrels, a company in business here for 50 years.

The SF stock cost me $216, delivered. The 40 rnd mag and fore grip were ~$40, and another ~$10 for the Picatinny rail adapter; so, with ammo, I'll be into this for less than $800, half of which was spent long ago - and it seems to work the way I intended.

I think the full C-Mag dumps on YouTube send the wrong message; controlled three round burst capability was all I was looking for - hopefully I found it. :jdwink2:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  5. JannieBunny

JannieBunny Huge member Lady Devil

Retraction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  6. Sheldon_Wickersham

JB, that's good to know. I have a few guns, and they don't all get range time they deserve; in fact, few do. So, while I have the guns and ammo, they typically don't see enough range time for me to get intimate with 'em. :jdwink2:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
  7. clockwork477

clockwork477 Huge member

I have had great success with mine. Of course I just use it for what it is, a novelty. I have a dedicated lower I keep it on and have in my range bag and only pull it out when someone wants the full auto experience. It's a guaranteed smile every time!

I was thinking about buying the SF stock for my WASR-10 cause ammo is less expensive, but it's low on my list of wants right now. It's kind of hard to spend money on something that will waist even more money!:bwah:

I have seen people put the stock on the S&W M&P-22 AR. It can be done if you change the trigger and looks fun as hell! If I can find one for a good price it will be my next buy.

Are you getting any decent groups with your bursts?

8. Sheldon_Wickersham

Clockwork, I'll have to get back to you on that. In the mean time, as shown, this is a true fluted heavy barrel...

TG2 1.jpg

I tried a five slot Picatinny rail section, but it was too short and looked funky, so I went with this seven slot version.

TG2 2.jpg

It's made by CCA, is made from what looks like FRN, is probably an Airsoft part, and using blue Loctite, mounts with the four screws provided.

TG2 3.jpg

I had to file down the sides to get it to fit in the Bushmaster hand guard slots. I ordered two; one through Optics Planet for ~$17 delivered, the other off eBay for ~$15 - the eBay item arrived first.

TG2 4.jpg

The stubby fore grip may be too short; time will tell. I'll try the other rail section on a different make firearm, and probably a BCM stubby fore grip too.

TG2 5.jpg

So far, so good...:thumbsup:

JannieBunny likes this.
  9. Sheldon_Wickersham

It still fits in the 'trunk gun' case. I'm done adding widgets for now; at some point I'll cut the foam. In lieu of an optic, the front post was painted white. :chuck:

TG2 6.jpg

View attachment 120139 TG2 7.jpg

10. JannieBunny

JannieBunny Huge member Lady Devil

Retraction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  11. Sheldon_Wickersham

Range report pt. II - the good, the bad, and the ugly...

I took the new-to-me Colt 1903 .32acp to the range today, along with a few other guns. With a target stuck to a used backer, it digested three brands of ammo without a hitch at around 7, 5, and 3 yards. I shot a magazine of each, twice, when returning from checking rifle targets. The front sight was whited out and spare walnut grips installed.

1903.jpg

It hits point of aim at all distances noted, has little recoil, and is surprisingly accurate; roughly 1/2 the shots were bulls eye hits or close. It'll make a good back-up gun. Very happy with this one.

After 20 years of ownership, I finally bought an H&K rear sight adjustment tool. At 50 meters, it was off a little, but some quick adjustments got it zeroed. Switching to the scope, however proved to be a problem as it wasn't even 'on paper'. A larger target showed a two foot offset to the right.

An examination of the scope, mount, and QD rings showed the problem; the rear iron sight aperture, still set in the '2' sight-in position was hitting the scope rear; the sight base has about a .10" side to side tolerance and was offset to the right; and, the rear QD ring was canted - all combined to play hell on the scope.

A few minor tweaks and I was on target and zeroed. 100 meters was another game of adjustments, off the same bench and carpet wrapped block. The last five were in the bulls eye; four just above, two on either side, and the last one a dead +; which was good, as the forty rounds brought were now gone. All targets used today were the 8" Shoot-N-See type. I removed the scope; the next time out will show if the QD rings will hold zero.

View attachment 120172

The Slide Fire stock was a bit of a let down, and has since been removed and will soon be for sale. My first standing sight-in shot at 25 meters was a called flyer to the right, with the next two ~3" high. I believe this one had a 50 meter zero from the bench, and the high shots could simply be due to that, using a different sight picture, and/or the stock type.

Three round bursts were fairly easy to get, but some issues arose. It shoots 6" to 8" low, repeatedly. A few YouTube videos show this phenomenon as well. Could be anticipation, but I tried, hard, to keep everything dialed. The first photo shows a bulls eye POA; the second was with the tip of the front sight on the top of the black circle.

T1 25m.jpg

T2 25m.jpg

At this point I was tired, hot, hungry, and out of smokes - the second magazine was a full rip that resulted in about a half dozen additional hits on target; I didn't bother with the third magazine. Ugly. Also, FWIW, the seven slot Picatinny rail was the wrong way to go, as it consistently ate into the web of my hand; a five slot would be better - and yes, the stubby fore grip was too short to be useful.

So, the magazines are loaded, the guns cleaned and put away, a cocktail poured, and a $300 lesson learned. It was fun while it lasted, but there has to be a better way... :devilroll: SAR 3-8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  12. clockwork477

clockwork477 Huge member

Sorry to hear it. It's a very unnatural motion to move the whole gun and not just squeeze the trigger. I usually start at 6 o'clock and let it creep its way up to center. It takes some getting use to which is hard cause you waist some ammo in the process, but I would give it one more chance if you can. Take it real slow.

It's almost easier to control on a full mag dump cause once you know where the barrel is going you can adjust.