1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping from England - At what point do I just give up?

kayakjax Oct 12, 2013

1. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

On the 27th of August, I won an ebay auction for a pretty cool briar pipe from a seller in the UK with a 100% reputation (on 764 transactions).

I usually don't spend more than $20 or $30 for a pipe, but really like the briar in this one, so I went to 30.01 GBP ($47.86) plus 3.90 GBP shipping. It's my most expensive pipe, but what the hell, right?

He marked it shipped through Royal Mail Small Packages on August 29.

When I left for the Grind-In on September 10, I wasn't expecting it yet, but it didn't come while I was gone on my 24 day tour of America. It still hasn't come and I'm beginning to wonder at what point do I assume it's lost forever?

A few days ago I sent an email to ask the seller if he had any tracking info since none has ever shown up on my ebay info.

He sent me back an email stating that I didn't opt for the extra cost shipping with tracking (an extra 10.90 GBP). He never contacted me to ask if I wanted the extra shipping, but to be honest, I don't know that I would have kicked in for the extra $15 on a pipe that was already about double what I usually pay.

Since this guy has a 100% rep, I'm confident that he actually did ship it. So, it's somewhere between there and here. It's been in transit for 6 weeks (and 2 days).

ebay's asked me to give the guy rep. I'm not giving anything until I get my package. Even if the package is lost somewhere, if the guy mailed it, he fulfilled his part of the transaction.

I only ordered one thing from England before, a fountain pen a couple years ago. I got it in a little less than a month (25 days or so). At what point do I quit assuming that it's on a slow boat or languishing in a limbo between Royal Mail and USPS custody? When is it well and truly lost, and I go on with my life?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a bent briar with a nice red brindle lucite stem originally made for and sold by the H.V. Dreier Pipe Shop in Germany.

2. The Coach

The Coach The Angry American

I buy a lot of my darts from the UK and have never had a problem. It can take anywhere from 4 to 9 days for the usual shipping. I rarely get a tracking number and when I do it's pretty useless. The package spends a lot of time in customs.

3. kayakjax

The package with this pipe in it showed up in my mailbox today.
    It was in un-mangled condition, and the pipe was in perfect shape; looks just like the photos I posted.

It was post-marked in the UK 65 days ago.

GEEZER and Glenn like this.
  4. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

Woo Hoo! Congratulations. Intl transactions are so exciting!

5. six

six straight up pimp

Glad to hear.I brought a knife from a uk maker about 2months ago I recieved it in 3days that shocked the shit out of me.

6. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Obviously it was shipped on the Titanic.

7. jujigatame

jujigatame Slanted & Enchanted

Or in James May's car.

8. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I am usually extremely surprised that anytime I have bought anything from the UK that it has arrived usually within 7 days of purchase.
    I have never not had anything go missing (fingers crossed) from the UK.

Even Expressmail from the USA takes a minimum of 10 - 14 days :unintroduced:

Same with Lumensfactory from Hong Kong - usually within 10 days.

Have you contacted the seller to inform him that you have not received your package? It sounds like you are beyond the limit from Paypal to submit a claim.

9. kayakjax

Richard,

The package arrived on November 1, 65 days after it was postmarked.

I have received other packages from the UK in relatively normal time. I have ordered stuff from Solarforce and some pen shops in China. Everything's gotten to me in about a month. This one was just hung up in the bowels of bureaucracy somewhere I suppose. I'd contacted the seller, who told me when he'd shipped it. He has a 100% ebay rep, so I had no reason to doubt him. I'd decided not to file a claim against him, because he'd done what he'd needed to do. I was just going to eat it, if that's what I had to do.

Luckily, after over two months, the package shows up, totally undamaged and pristine. The pipe is beautiful and well worth the wait (though there was admittedly some agita along the way).

10. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

haha, you got the slow boat shipment Jack :D

I have had a few of those shipments that went "sea mail" and it took about 60 days. It must have been an error somewhere if he has a 100% eBay rating.

Anyways, congrats on getting your package. :thumbsup:

11. Medium John

Medium John little member but big balls

Sounds like it got sent via ship instead of airmail, bit cheap of him on that front. Next time (if there is a next time) ask a favour from a UK Devil to help you out, got to be better, right?

Marc