1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

You should already have plenty of Band-Aids from your bali flipping... you'll NEED them!

Every time I've ever tried to use a straight razor, I've managed to cut myself. Too many sharp corners! [​IMG]

Thanos74 and KaliKid like this.
  2. Gravedigger

Gravedigger JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Barber it is!!!

Yeah stay away from those :cry:

Thanos74, KaliKid and crogers like this.
  3. KaliKid

KaliKid Brigade Member Brigade Member

You definitely have to add this to your bucket list for sure. There is nothing like the feeling after a good shave with some good soap and outstanding aftershave! I use a hot towel before every shave and it makes a world of difference. Thank you for sharing this and I hope this thread gains more momentum. At least the JD can have some clean shaven fellows running around. :)

Thanos74 likes this.
  4. KaliKid

Shave while the baby is asleep. :) Believe it or not, shaving in the evening is good because your facial hair doesn't grow as much. I know it sounds kooky, but when I tried it, it is true. I shave the evening before and still look clean shaven in the morning before I head out the door. Plus this gives you some quiet time that is priceless.

Thanos74 likes this.
  5. KaliKid

Since there are flipping lessons, we should have some shaving videos posted. LOL!!

Thanos74 likes this.
  6. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

I was once at a place when a fellow gave a straight razor shaving demonstration to one of his co-workers. I don't think any one bothered to video it though....

That got me to thinking, so I searched "Shaving with a straight razor" on YouTube. There are quite a few videos available.

Including one for shaving your legs... :madaddy:

7. Thanos74

Thanos74 Hillbilly Deluxe JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yeah, thats my other concern. My jaw line likes to collect nicks like Gary lije to collect bali's!!!
    :balitrickfail:

Gravedigger, KaliKid and crogers like this.
  8. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

The splash..

Here's a tip to clean the soap scum from your safety razor... Tilex Daily Shower. Its made to spray the soap ring in your sink, and I've found it works excellent on my chrome plated Merkur. I just spray and set aside for awhile then rinse off. If I let it build up it'll take multi sprays and buffing with a piece of toilet paper... so I try to spray it every couple shaves.

Gravedigger, Thanos74 and KaliKid like this.
  9. KaliKid

Now that's perfect!! Great job!! :)

Thanos74 and crogers like this.
  10. KaliKid

I have to try the splash for sure. That is an excellent tip on cleaning the safety razor! I am going to try that as I have used alcohol by letting the razor sit in it for a day and then washing it clean. I like this idea though.

Thanos74 likes this.
  11. KaliKid

Here is my usage today. Especially for you sensitive skin guys like me. This is the Proraso sensitive skin soap and a Maggards Slant Head on a Maggards handle.

I'll call this the "Shave of The Day"

SOTD 12:12.JPG

El Gringo, Gravedigger and Thanos74 like this.
  12. KaliKid

I figured I might as well start this. Please chime in with tips, thoughts, etc. You never know who you may help.

Shaving Tip of the Day (STOTD):

Whether you are shaving with a cartridge razor, safety or straight razor, make sure to pull the area you are shaving tightly with your opposite hand. Although I know some of our experienced wet shavers know this, some people don't. It makes a world of difference in the final product, but also gives you more control for your shave overall.

Have fun!

Gravedigger and Thanos74 like this.
  13. Gravedigger

I think the best tip I can think of if you're gonna get into safety/straight razor shaving is definitely have a styptic on standby. I was shaving once with a safety razor and got the tiniest cut above my chin before I had dinner plans. Wouldn't stop bleeding for over an hr before I sent my gf to pick one up. It stopped bleeding instantly after applied. So the obvious question is "why the fk did you wait for over an hour?" lolol. It seemed like the bleeding would stop and then a few minutes later would start all over again. Needless to say we were late to dinner :ronl:

KaliKid, El Gringo and Thanos74 like this.
  14. KaliKid

"We have a bleeder!!' :lafflol: Yeah, this is an essential tool needed for the arsenal. Have you tried an alum block yet?

Thanos74 and Gravedigger like this.
  15. Gravedigger

Nah I haven't. TBH I never even had to use the styptic again. It was just for whatever reason a random area that wouldn't stop. Tissue/TP was useless. Pros/cons of alum block? I am so very intrigued.......

Thanos74 likes this.
  16. KaliKid

Believe it or not, I use an alum block after every shave. While it may stop any bleeding, it also has antibacterial properties. So I feel it cleans up the skin a little more. Then I use some Witch Hazel and whatever aftershave or balm I'm using that day. It is a bit of a process, but it is well worth it in the long run.

You can also use the Alum Block as deodorant. I use one for this, but not every day as it irritates my skin. But it is cool because all you have to do is wet the block and use it. Believe it or not, it works pretty much all day with no smell whatsoever. A block runs about $5.00 and lasts me about 6 months. Not a bad investment for anyone.

Maggard-Alum-Block-350x350.jpg

El Gringo and Gravedigger like this.
  17. Gravedigger

Honing day... here is a pic of some of my Japanese natural stones. I don't know if I got lucky but today I passed the hanging hair test. :ronl::ronl::ronl:

[​IMG]

El Gringo and KaliKid like this.
  18. KaliKid

Hot damn!! I love the file work on the spine of that razor!! Good grief Batman! Also, if it is that sharp, watch out beard, and skin, and getting some styptic ready!! LOL!! That is a sweet straight. Thank you for the pic.

Gravedigger likes this.
  19. KaliKid

What soap are you currently using? Let's post some pics!

Stirling Soap Samples.JPG

El Gringo and Gravedigger like this.
  20. KaliKid

STOTD:

A nice hot towel prior to shaving will work wonders by softening up the beard and the skin.

Gravedigger likes this.